Start by marking “Confessions of a Knitting Heretic” as Want to Read:
Confessions of a Knitting Heretic

Confessions of a Knitting Heretic

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  115 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
You are NOT knitting wrong! If you're getting the fabric you want, then you're knitting fine for YOU!.

Now that we've cleared that up, let's investigate how and why you're making your stitches the way you do so that you can follow standard patterns and get the most out of your knitting!

DON'T change the way you knit - learn to make the way you knit more efficient, and more

Spiral-bound, 218 pages
Published April 28th 2004 by ModeKnit Press (first published April 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of a Knitting Heretic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of a Knitting Heretic

Nov 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: knitters & designers of knitting
This book sits next to my Elizabeth Zimmermann books and is used for reference just as often!

Even if you read it and decide that combination knitting isn't for you, the tips & techniques in it are well worth the read.
Apryl Anderson
This is a nice little surprise. Granted, most of the how-to information can be found in all the other knitting books...BUT Modesitt's discussion of "combination" knitting, with assurances that HOW you make the stitch isn't as important as KNOWING how, because this knowledge gives you the freedom to create fabric that you want. That 'fabric' might even include knitting with wire for jewelry—which I found to be the most interesting part of the book. Also, her knitted hat looks like a fun exercise ...more
Diana Uhl
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative

I, too, "invented" combination knitting as a "child". I was astonished to find that others knitted differently. Only recently have I found that there are others who knit as I do. As an adult who loves lace knitting, socks, and a myriad of other things, I was frustrated with directional slants, short rows, and other techniques that are different than Western knitting. Annie's book was very helpful in explaining how I could improve my knitting.
Tony Peck
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book. I have been rescued by Modesitt on line a number of times.

I too am a combined knitter and have got stuck as there are differences in how we construct a stitch that I did not understand. I first was saved in 2007 and again recently when I had forgotten my lesson from then.

Almost sounds reverential and religious doesn't it? When you are stuck mid way through a knitting project anyone who can rescue you must deserve some sort of honor, so why not something mystical!
jenny scott
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts
i wish it was a better quality book, but i guess no one was interested in publishing it so the author self-published. great resource since there aren't a lot of books out there that talk about "combination knitting" which is how i knit.
Erin
Aug 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
the photos in my copy were poor, but the knitting information was wonderful!!
i too knit like ms. modesitt and it's nice to have it so clearly explained.
Rachael
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
an excellent book on various knitting techniques that make the knitting police wag their fingers and tell you that you're "doing it wrong".
Grace
Hope
Sep 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points  Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • Knitting Ganseys
  • Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles: A Manual of Elegant Knitting Techniques and Patterns
  • Knitting in America
  • Victorian Lace Today
  • Knitting Around
  • First Book of Modern Lace Knitting
  • Knitter's handbook
  • The Sweater Workshop: Knit Creative, Seam-Free Sweaters on Your Own with Any Yarn
  • Folk Knitting in Estonia: A Garland of Symbolism, Tradition and Technique
A native of Ohio, Annie taught herself to knit at age 25 before a move from NYC to Texas. The Texas tenure didn't last, but knitting did, and upon her return to the NY area Annie began knitting for other designers and designing for major knitting magazines. Her work has appeared in Interweave Knits, Vogue Knitting, Knitters Magazine, Cast On, Family Circle Easy Knitting, McCalls Needlework and sev ...more
More about Annie Modesitt