Start by marking “Crossed Out” as Want to Read:
Crossed Out

Crossed Out

Following the light can't be that hard, right? So why don't the dead just do it and leave Stephanie Stewart alone? However nothing is ever as simple as it should be, as Stephanie learns when her hidden 'gift' becomes more than a nuisance, quickly turning into a liability. If she can't learn to trust someone with her secret, the world as she knows it will go to hell. Litera ...more
Published May 17th 2010 by Lachesis Publishing (first published March 17th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Crossed Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crossed Out

Wendy Hines
Jan 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Stephanie Stewart is not crazy, even though her parents send her to several shrinks and counselors. She "sees" dead people, and she has forty eight hours from when she sees them to find the location of their murder or death, plant a cross, and send them on their way.

She paints and designs her crosses in the garage, and she used to be in the "in" crowd, but ever since she started talking to the dead everyone keeps their distance, except for a few close friends. Dylan and she have known each othe
Gerald Pruett
Feb 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I went into this book while expecting it to be like 'Ghost Whisperer'. Although the same idea is there (the main character is helping the ghost go into the light), Kim Baccellia did a good job at making the story her own.

Jessica
Aug 27, 2010 rated it liked it
The concept of Crossed Out was definitely one that caught my eye. Stephanie's ability to help spirits cross over to the other side was fascinating enough alone, but the fact that she didn't really want this ability added that edge for me. From the very first page I watched as Stephanie tackled this "gift" of hers. I loved how Kim Baccellia pointed out Stephanie's very real feelings. Who wouldn't feel a bit confused and lost if you were constantly contacted by spirits?

Although I really adored Ste
Kai
Aug 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: teens, for-review
Original review posted at Amaterasu Reads

What first caught my eye when I've read the summary for this book is how fresh it sounds. I thought this was "another ghost book" but I'm glad I gave it a chance.

Crossed out, as it turns out, is a very typical book tackling typical issues, but Kim Baccellia wrote it in such a way that will interest a lot of readers. Despite of Stephanie's obvious "uniqueness", she's a typical teen you'd want to befriend. Teenage stereotypes are nicely written and portra
P.J.
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended for 7th grade and up readers, CROSSED OUT takes the best of humor, mystery, and paranormal and blends them all together into a book that is sure to delight readers! The main character, Stephanie, is full of attitude, which makes for humor and fun throughout as she is cast into the world of guiding the dead. Add in a hot guy, and CROSSED OUT has it all!
Michael Goth
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A wonderful book!
Angela  M
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
I thought the concept of this book was great. It was an original idea that could have made for an excellent book, unfortunately, that just didn't happen for me this time. I loved the idea of the souls appearing to Steph and her having 48 hours to find the place where they died, plant a religious symbol of some kind, and send them to the other side. I really enjoyed that she was able to glimpse heaven in those moments when the soul moved on, that was really beautiful to me.

As for characters, I ju
Sandra Pulliam
Jan 31, 2011 rated it liked it
So, I won this book through the Goodreads ARC giveaways and was excited to read it. However, it really took me awhile to get into it. I wanted so much to love this book but it just had too many points where I wanted to give up reading. It was extremely predictable and the main character was annoying. How many times can "bile rise in the back of my throat" be written into the book? It happened to Stephanie about 10 times? Also, Stephanie was probably the most clueless main character I have ever r ...more
Annie McElfresh
Aug 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
In the past couple years I've read a ton of Urban Fantasy novels and I can't stress how important "voice" is in these novels. You have to feel like the main character is your best friend and you want her to overcome all of problems that arise. Ms. Baccellia has done a wonderful job of making Stephanie jump off the pages and gave her a quirky flaw. Eczema. Ha Ha. I know, right. It kind of reminded me of "Buffy" the movie, remember how she got cramps when a vampire was near...LOL. But it was great ...more
Heather
Aug 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book has a great premise and a great idea, but it’s really not very well executed. It was interesting, but not very deep. It should be deep, but it’s not. Add to that, this book has many editing errors, from grammar errors and typos to plot inconsistencies. The typos are simple things like missing periods, missing quotation marks, or “as” instead of “a” in one spot. Then there are spots that just look like sloppy editing.

The writing shouldn’t interfere with the plot. The writing should brin
Melissa
Aug 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have always liked paranormal novels. The main character, Stephanie has bizarre powers, vivid dreams, typical teenage problems and ghosts that need her help. She has boy troubles and finds herself torn between Mark, the new boy in school and her friend Dylan. She is drawn to Mark and slowly realizes that there is something evil about him. Who will she choose and what happens to her?
The book reminded me of the Ghost Whisperer series where Melinda helps spirits crossover like Stephanie does. I re
L.M. Preston
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sassy Paranormal with Mystery, Stephanie is a character I'd like for a friend. She is sassy, a little pessimistic and determined to do what she thinks is right - most of the time. I have always wondered about the people who made the crosses on the sides of the road. Now after reading this book I do think of them and look at them a whole lot differently then before. Of the male characters I can't really say I liked one more than the other. I pretty much connected with Stephanie the most. The air ...more
Priscilla VdL
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
The main idea of the book is decent. The protagonist has to help dead people cross to the light. I think what made me not like the book as much was the head of Stephanie (main character), there just wasn't much there, kind of one-dimensional characters in this book. Didn't get why some of the characters said what they said, some of the dialogues came out of nowhere, as in it wasn't really relevant to what was going on. The good thing about this one is it's a fast read.
Holly
Jan 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I enjoyed this book. The concept of it was great. I would have liked more background with her powers since she had been able to see the spirits for 3 yrs already. Overall its a beautiful book and a good read.
Rayna
Aug 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Interesting story, I really love the idea but the amount of grammatical and pop culture reference errors was distracting. With a bit more polishing this book and any future books (if the story of this little rescuer were continued in a series) would be greatly enjoyed.
A.L
Dec 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was an awesome read. Couldn't put this book down.
Izzy
Jul 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
I enjoyed reading this book. The main character kind of reminds me of me (except without the cool stuff).
Mindy
Jan 22, 2011 added it
Weird I can handle, but there was WAY too much language. Story had potential, but bad language got in the way for me.
Kathi Wallace
Aug 16, 2010
Ami Blackwelder
Aug 06, 2010
Erika Lynn
Jul 19, 2010
Kim Baccellia
Jun 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Mary
Jun 21, 2010
Catherine
Jun 20, 2011
Apr 18, 2013
I grew up in Sacramento, California, the oldest of seven. I have a business associate degree from Sacramento City College, a BS degree in elementary education from Brigham Young University, and studied post grad bilingual/bicultural education at CSUF.

I've been a telemarketer, library helper at the Harold B. Lee library at BYU, assistant manager, sales clerk, tutor, bilingual teacher, and homescho