Start by marking “My Dog Skip” as Want to Read:
My Dog Skip

My Dog Skip

Now a major motion picture form Warner Brothers, starring Kevin Bacon, Diane Lane, Luke Wilson, Frankie Muniz, and "Eddie" from the TV show Frasier (as Skip), and produced by Mark Johnson (Rain Man).

In 1943 in a sleepy town on the banks of the Yazoo River, a boy fell in love with a puppy with a lively gait and an intellingent way of listening.  The two grew up together hav
Published January 30th 1996 by Vintage (first published 1995)

Start your review of My Dog Skip
Carolyn Wada
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure why this book is shelved as juvenile fiction in my local library. It reads like a memoir aimed at readers who are also looking back on childhood over a space of some years. It is not plot-driven: if I were to say, "boy gets dog; then they do this; then they do that; then they see this . . . " it wouldn't spoil anything. It also wouldn't accurately describe the book. The book is a reflection of a life grown up in the Deep South, during World War II and its aftermath, with a constant ...more
Rose
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a dear little book. So well written & so touching. I felt as though I had a grandfather telling me the story about his beloved dog Skip & their adventures growing up together, his voice a soothing symphony in my ear through out. That's how sweet & charming this little book is. It takes you back to a simpler time, an almost organic time in history. When summer meant swimming in the town's lake, playing baseball with the neighborhood kids, & paying a nickel to watch the Saturday matinee. When ...more
Clarinda Dodson
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was originally written on my blog in July 2007.

I was inspired to read this book after watching the movie, My Dog Skip. The movie was a sad story about a boy and his dog. Willie was a lonely boys with no friends, so his Mom bought him a puppy for his 9th birthday, in the hopes that he would become his best friend. It worked, of course, and Willie and Skip became inseparable!

The book, however, tells quite a different story! The book, by the way, is a true story while the movie is merely based
Vita Mia
Jul 03, 2016 rated it liked it
This was another one of those cute boy-dog "relationships" that I really enjoyed reading about.
Cliff
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children
This slim volume is really just a collection of anecdotes to reminisce and pay tribute to the memory of a beloved family dog. A few snapshots of the old Skip would have contributed to the realism of the story and the believability that a talented fox terrier once existed. We'll just have to take the biographer's word on it. The movie adaptation doesn't really support this because Skip becomes a Jack Russell terrier in his cinematic version. I guess pictures of the real Skip wouldn't have helped ...more
Sky
Jul 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
I hate this book more than I hate myself. After I get my grade, I am literally burning this book. The last two chapters are sweet but the rest is boring and sometimes racist.
H
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Schmaltzy overwritten memoir of a boy and his dog in 1940s Mississippi.
Mackenzie L, 5
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
My dog skip written by Willie Morris is a book about his childhood dog, Skip. Willie had always had hunting dogs but skip wasn’t like a normal dog he could play football, he would listen. Skip was more like a brother then a dog. This book was fun to read because it was about the author. SO I got a inside look on what it was like for a boy during world war two. This book was harder to get through even though it was short. It had some parts that I was confused about. But overall I enjoyed this boo ...more
James Vachowski
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-boys-like
This autobiography tells the story of Willie Morris, a 9-year-old boy growing up in rural Yazoo City, Mississippi. When Willie falls in love with a lively puppy named Skip, the two of them grow up together in a small town which seems to have no shortage of adventures. Although this book is more of a reflection on the author’s childhood than it is a plot-driven story, I’d still have no hesitation recommending it to young readers. After all, reading a memoir like “My Dog Skip” will invariably caus ...more
Wolf Ostheeren
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
A beautifully slow and quiet book. It really made me feel the southern small-town 30's/40's- and being a boy with a trusted canine companion. Not very close to what I remember from the movie though, it should probably be read for its own merits and less because you enjoyed the film version.
Lis Carey
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dogs, fiction, children
This is a sweet, gentle memoir of a boy and his dog, growing up in 1940s rural Mississippi. Willie's parents get a fox terrier puppy when Willie is nine, and Willie and Skip quickly become best friends. In an earlier time and in a small town where everyone knows everyone, they're free to roam all day during the summer months, with friends and on their own, having adventures and playing pranks that sixty years later, would not be tolerated.

There is no plot here. There isn't supposed to be a plot.
Carol
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Willie Morris remembers how, when he was nine years old, a puppy he called Skip came into his life. Skip became his canine constant companion and his memories of their adventures fill this book with a series of mental images that can get you laughing, cringing, smiling, shaking your head and occasionally amazed at the duo's audacity. It's not a series of stories as much as memories - no need to detract from the subject while other details. And it works so well.

The fact that they lived in a small
Sharon Ryan
Sep 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
A disappointment. I read it many years ago for a school report. I had to read a book about some kind of animal and write a report. There wasn't anything much available in English so I had to settle on this. The title should have been "I was a total jerk as a kid and I just happened to have a dog." After reading the book I was so disappointed that I went and spoke to the teacher and got permission to write my report based on a genetic mutations book and how it also applies to animals.
Maria
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book "My Dog Skip" was truly one of the best books I have ever read. The book was a short and easy read but the adventure that a boy and his dog goes through is hilarious and heart breaking both at the same time. I absolutely loved this book and advise everyone to read it!
Sharon Lee
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A nostalgic trip through the idyllic memories of a boy and his dog growing up in Mississippi in the 1940's.

“Thy had buried him under our elm tree, they said -- yet this was not totally true. For he really lay buried in my heart.”
― Willie Morris, My Dog Skip
Julie
May 19, 2008 added it
Thoroughly enjoyed this little book. It transported me right away to a more simple, laid back time and was sweetly descriptive without being treacly.
Aspasia
Jul 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A heartwarming look at Willie Morris' childhood with Skip, his faithful sidekick at his side.
Ruth
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogs
I have read this book many times. The dog, the boy and the neighborhood are all part of the neighborhood where I grew up with my own dog named King!
Heather
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
Steeped in nostalgia, a man looks back at his boyhood adventures with a fox terrier named Skip while growing up in a town in the deep south. The plot is more or less non-existent, as the book is a series of anecdotes of varying lengths are dropped into buckets, with those chapters labeled somewhat loosely. Until the last chapter, which of course has the author growing up and leaving the geriatric dog behind and this is how to make your reader dislike you as an author.

I chose to read this book al
Lori
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
The author is very impressed with his vocabulary and uses it to liven up a memoir in which nothing really happens. The boy author eventually grows up and moves out of the country, but seemingly has little of interest to say about the former battleground that was his childhood home. The whole point of the book seemed to be that the guy came of age in a time when there was plenty of childhood freedom and the privilege of doing nothing much with his dog most of the time. He reflects on this in an ...more
Aline Newman
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
MY DOG SKIP, by Willie Morris, is a pleasant read about a boy who loves his dog and what it was like growing up in the south, in the 1940s. It was short, easy reading, and I enjoyed it. But I would not rate it among the best dog books I have ever read, and I'm surprised that it was made into a movie. I haven't seen the movie, but I think the screenwriter must have added a plot, because the book itself is written much more like an essay than a story. The narrative lacks any structure that could b ...more
Karen
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, fiction
This was an okay story of a boy and his dog growing up together. I'm not sure if it wsa the story I didn't care for or just the writing style that didn't hold my attention. Maybe it's just that I've recently read an excellent book about a boy and his dog - The Dog Who Wouldn't Be by Farley Mowat - and this just didn't live up to that one. This book probably would be enjoyed by a young boy with a love of dogs.
Maggie
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very enjoyable short story of a young man remembering his childhood dog and best friend. The antics of Skip's life are hilarious and the bond between boy and dog are something to be treasured. I've never heard of a dog that could climb trees, drive a car, play football but this little wire haired terrier Skip could. I think he was almost human. Lovely story of Skip's life and as with all dogs that life ends all too soon.
Stephen Wallace
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Cute little vignettes tied together with no arc. Just didn't do it for me. Like someone just wrote memories they would like to have if they lived way back then with a dog. There are too many good true stories about great dogs. And more good books like Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern grows that are truly great stories. I would suggest putting it way down on your list of books to read. Sorry Willie Morris, good effort as the writing is good, but really needs to have gone somewhere.
Marcia
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you think that this book is like the movie, then you'll be a little disappointed as it was not. It was a story of a boy and his dog. A lot of descriptive writing about living in the south is included. I did cry at the end because of the last line. It made me think of all of the pets I have owned in my lifetime. It's a good read, but it's not like the movie.
Rachel Williams
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Jon
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Those were different times when life was simpler. The author and his little dog had lots of adventures in a small town. This well-written book paints a picture of a boy growing up and learning about the world with the companionship of an intelligent and energetic dog. I liked it.
Shannon
Meh. I guess I expected more from this one. One of my issues, however, was the fact that the Kindle version I read had tons of errors (random special characters, missing characters, punctuation errors/issues).
Robin
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a lovely memoir and I’m sure all dog-lovers will appreciate Willie Morris’ reminiscences of life as a young boy with his dog. I’m now curious about the movie based on the book.
Falguni Jhaveri
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's is a very nice book. It really nice but can be sad at times.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Hour of Peril: The Secret Plot to Murder Lincoln Before the Civil War
  • Lincoln at Gettysburg: The Words That Remade America
  • Qualitative Research Design: An Interactive Approach
  • The Yellow House
  • Be Cool (Chili Palmer, #2)
  • Wolves Eat Dogs (Arkady Renko, #5)
  • The Wizard (The Wizard Knight #2)
  • The Fresco
  • Dave Barry's Complete Guide to Guys
William Weaks "Willie" Morris (November 29, 1934 — August 2, 1999), was an American writer and editor born in Jackson, Mississippi, though his family later moved to Yazoo City, Mississippi, which he immortalized in his works of prose. Morris' trademark was his lyrical prose style and reflections on the American South, particularly the Mississippi Delta. In 1967 he became the youngest editor of Har ...more

News & Interviews

“They had buried him under our elm tree, they said -- yet this was not totally true. For he really lay buried in my heart.” 60 likes