Start by marking “To the Moon and Back” as Want to Read:
To the Moon and Back

To the Moon and Back

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  10,178 Ratings  ·  627 Reviews
When Ellie Kendall tragically loses her husband she feels her life is over. But eventually she’s ready for a new start – at work, that is. She doesn’t need a new man when she has a certain secret visitor to keep her company...

Zack McLaren seems to have it all, but the girl he can’t stop thinking about won’t give him a second glance. If only she’d pay him the same attention
Published 2011 by Headline Review

I've Got Your Number by Sophie KinsellaA Girl Like You by Gemma BurgessSleeping with Santa by Debra DruzyMatch Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsTwenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella
Books to adore
54 books — 32 voters
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. HeinleinThe Moonstone by Wilkie CollinsThe First Men in the Moon by H.G. WellsGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Moon Is Down by John Steinbeck
Moon
149 books — 53 voters

More lists with this book...

Anna
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I spent a very happy 3 and a half hours on the hammock in the garden reading this!! The characters were really well created (especially Martha, she's possibly one of the most genuine characters I've ever come across in a book <3), the plot was predictable but lovely and the romance was ADORABLE. I LOVE ZACK!!! Oh and the fact that it made me laugh and cry just in the epilogue was the icing on the cake :')
Ena Hasečić
Ellie je upravo izgubila muža. Todd se ne može pomiriti sa gubitkom najboljeg prijatelja. Roo ima vezu sa oženjenim muškarcem. Zack je nesretan u vezi.... Sudbine nekoliko ljudi će se u ovom romanu ispreplesti na jedan neobičan način i pokazati kako stvari u životu ne mogu uvijek ići isplaniram tokom :) lijepo, toplo, duhovito, na momente tužno - preporuka!
Fenia
This book surprised me so much. I didn't expect it to suck me into it. The story,the characters,the writing. just WOW. Beautiful setting. A story about overcoming pain and loss. about guilt and forgiveness. True love. Firsts and lasts loves. Friendships. Love at the first sight.

I just loved this book. Ellie was such a genuine GOOD character,she was like an angel. Zack. just give me a Zack NOW!!! He's the definition of perfect. Roo such a complicated and true character. Tony,Todd,Yasmin,Jamie..e
Debra
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it

What can I say? Jill Mansell's use of secondary characters always amazes me. Each one is as fleshed out as the main protagonists, just adding to the fun of her novels. While this one has an inordinate amount of guilt split up among everyone, all comes right in the end when each character is paired up with the loves (and in one case, the second love) of their lives. Well done! A fast and friendly read, Jill Mansell once again makes me smile.
Elizabeth Camden
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Jill Mansell for her light, airy comedies with endearing characters and a lot of whimsy.... this one was a little different. Quite sad, actually....but I think it was that poignancy that made it such a powerful read. Two thumbs up.
Marina
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
3,5 ik dacht al toen ik het begon te lezen... hhmmm dit komt me bekend voor en had het al gelezen maar was zoveel vergeten en hij was even leuk als de eerste keer!!
Siv30
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
אלי קאנדל מאבדת את בעלה בפתאומיות. המוות הטרגי מותיר אותה הלומה וכואבת וחייה נעצרים. אחרי 18 חודשים חמה, טוני, מעביר אותה לדירה באזור טוב שם היא פוגשת ברו שתהיה לחברתה הטובה.

אלי מתחילה לעבוד אצל זאק, יזם חתיך שנשים רבות מחזרות אחריו. זאק נדלק על אלי אבל היא שעדין שקועה באובדן שלה אינה מביעה עיניין.

הספר מתאר את התמודדות של אלי עם האובדן, עם החזרה ההדרגתית לחיים ועם פריחת החברות, הידידות והאהבה.

אין שום דבר מפתיע בספר ואפילו הסוף שלו צפוי, אבל זה ספר חמוד ומתוק, משעשע לפרקים שעושה נעים בלב.
Mandy
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
While this wasn't the best piece of literature I have ever read, nor the best piece of Chick Lit I have read, I will say I had a hard time putting it down. The characters got stuck in my head. The multiple storylines were compelling, albeit some more contrived than others.

While some of the elements of the story were developed well, others were insufficient. As far as character descriptions went in general, I did have a hard time picture what Ellie, Todd, Zack, Jamie, looked like. I get that from
Rufi Angel
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've read a lot of Jill Mansell (she's kind of my comfort author, when I've had a bad day and I need an easy, fun read) but out of all her books I like this one the best so far.

(view spoiler)
Andrea
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
4 Fun, Fluffy stars of pure romantic silliness!
SOS Aloha
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
On the opening page, Ellie thanks her husband, Jamie, for ironing her skirt, “I am. Very grateful. Thank you, thank you, to the moon and back.” Each have separate commitments – Ellie is dressing for the Rocky Horror Picture show with her girlfriends; Jamie is attending a school reunion with his friend, Todd. Sadly, this is their last time together as Jamie is killed in an auto accident that Todd survives. The story kicks in 15 months later when Ellie’s former father in law, Tony, encourages her ...more
Sarina
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Prima boek alleen pakte dit boek mij minder dan ander boeken van Jill Mansell. Ligt aan mij, niet aan het boek!
Nida Kazi
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Whatever you could make out of this image above could described the story of this book to an extent. I'll only add this book covers many lovely characters.
Batgrl (Book Data Kept Elsewhere)
Sep 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Batgrl (Book Data Kept Elsewhere) by: Dear Author blog
Sucked in by one of the daily deal prices on the blog Dear Author, I started reading the blurb at Amazon and totally got sucked in. "I really don't like chicklit" I told myself, but then after reading a chapter I wanted to know what happened next. Having it set in the London area was something I couldn't resist either - I've had a love affair with the city since I visited it in the 80s.

The death of Ellie's (our heroine) husband is hard stuff to read, and happens in the first few chapters. I get
Leah
Feb 07, 2011 rated it liked it
When Ellie Kendall loses her husband Jamie her entire world collapses. She throws herself into her job, and spends her evenings trying to keep her ever-decaying flat together. Until her father-in-law Tony insists she looks after his house in Primrose Hill. There, Ellie meets the enigmatic Roo, who brings some much needed vitality into Ellie’s life. When Ellie gets a new job working for Zack McLaren it’s the start of a new life almost. But will Ellie ever be able to let herself fall in love again ...more
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
If I say I just loved this book I would be lying! This book was more than amazing, it was funny, romantic, made me drop a tear or two, and made my heart thudding wishing to know how it will all wrap up!

And I am not just talking about the main characters, I cared for every other character in the book. They all seemed real and they all were very human, for a few days this book was all I thought about. It has a bit of P.S. I Love You in it but 10 times better. I loved Jamie, Zack and Ellie. I love
Serena
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To the Moon and Back by Jill Mansell tackles relationships on a whole new level and looks at what it means to love someone for better and for worse and in sickness and in health. While the novel is infused with Mansell’s humorous style, it is more serious than her other novels.

Ellie Kendall, the main protagonist, finds that losing the love of one’s life is not the end of the world, though it is devastating. She finds a way to move on with her life, though she’s cut herself off from all of her fr
Alexander Van Leadam
Aug 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
I guess this is a literary romantic novel. Well, literary or not I could barely survive it. Everything is so sugar-coated that it loses all flavour. Even death seems painless. I wonder what makes people enjoy stuff like this and even rate it as "true to life", as some online reviews do. Others hit the nail on the head": "light-hearted and optimistic". We all need some form of escapism, I guess - even this one.
Larissa Reinhart
Very sweet. A lovely romance that made me cry, but delivered the HEA. A quick read, perfect for my vacation.
Meredith Schorr
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. Typically charming and romantic Jill Mansell, but at her finest. Ellie was such a delightful character. I thought Jill took subject matter and worked her magic to write a truly uplifting book. And I think she handled her main character grieving the loss of her husband and falling in love again (no spoilers) very well. I love the way this author writes, not only a main story, but several mini stories on the side, all of which were enjoyable and fun as well. I'm a tru ...more
Loucy
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quel bonheur d'avoir enfin un nouveau tome de cet auteur. Pas de grosses surprises avec cette histoire, on sait très vite qui va finir avec qui. Mais comme d'habitude, les personnages sont attachants. Et il y a aussi de l'humour. J'ai adoré et l'ai lu en une journée.
Belma Pezer
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zabavno,razigrano,lagano štivo.
Andrea Šikić
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, romance
Što sve ima još jedan roman drage mi Jill Mansel? Puno sladunjave romantike, ljubavi tipične za žensko štivo, emocija, klišeiziranih dijaloga, nepotrebnih zapleta s elementima sapunica, jeftinog humora... Je l' to znači da mi se ne sviđa? Niti malo. Ništa spektakularan, ništa drugačiji od njenih ostalih, no opet sladak kao čokolada. Lagan i čitljiv, kakao za hladne noći. Čitati ako ste ljubitelj ovakvih poslastica. :-)
Amanda The Book Slayer
I really, really enjoyed this book even though I spent most of it crying my eyes out.

Recommend: Anyone who loved the movie 'Ps. I Love You, will love this book. It is along the same lines and happy endings for all.
descriptiondescription

Keep tissues close
description

My Background and why the book hit home for me:
I know I have mentioned in other reviews that my Hubby had almost died 3 weeks after we are married, but I think that once you know that here it makes sense why this book caused so many tears for me. I will never forget
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Being a fan of chick-lit I’ve heard of Jill Mansell and have been eyeing her books for a while although had never picked one up. Twenty two books later and I was thrilled to find out that I’d won her latest book To the Moon and Back on Twitter. I was so excited to see what all the fuss was about and made it my next chick-lit read, and honestly why did I not pick up a book by this author sooner!?

When we’re first introduced to our main character Ellie she seems to be living a blissful life, happil
Best Crime Books & More
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was so excited to get Jill Mansell's new book. It seems like forever since her last one although in reality it has only been a year. Thankfully Jill Mansell has produced a book that every chick lit fan will enjoy. When I first received the book I was please to see that even the cover looked inviting in a lovely sea blue! The strength of this author is the characters she creates and in my opinion this is what has crated her huge following of fans. This book is no exception to that rule and the ...more
Staci
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Staci by: Sourcebooks
Shelves: 2011-reads
First thought after I finished the last page: "When is Jill writing her next book? I love her and this book!"

Why I loved this book: If not for Sourcebooks, I'm not sure I would have read a Jill Mansell novel. I have to say in all honesty, that this has been one of my highlights reviewing for Sourcebooks.....Mansell delivers book after book. And this one is my favorite to date. I don't know how Mansell does it, but she makes me LOVE and CARE about her characters. Maybe she sprinkles fairy dust on
Suad Shamma
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, favourites, 2011
I've been in a dump for a long while when it came to books. Every time I bought a book it would disappoint in one way or another, and I wouldn't enjoy it in the least and have to force myself to finish it.

This book however, my first for the author, turned all of that around. I could not put it down, literally!! And I missed that, I missed enjoying a story so much that I honestly cannot put the book down because I always wanted to know what would happen next! And Ms. Mansell gave me that, she kep
drey
Dec 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
drey’s thoughts:
While reading To the Moon and Back, I kept thinking in the back of my mind how I was going to classify it–was it a contemporary romance? Or chick-lit? I finally settled on both, because while this is quite the romantic read, it’s not just about the boy and the girl.

In addition to being about a boy and a girl, To the Moon and Back also deals with loss and grief, allowing yourself to move on, and the wonderful bonds of friendship. All wrapped up in Mansell’s trademark humor. How c
Jordan
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After a recently heavy session of exams and revision I wanted to celebrate by reading something totally unrelated to my course, something light-hearted and optimistic and 'To the moon and Back' proved to be the perfect read.

This is the first Jill Mansell book I have read and at first I wasn't sure I liked her style; Initially it seemed to lack something that I couldn't put my finger on. However by the time I got to the end of first chapter I was 100% in to it. The characters are instantly like-
  • Summer of Love
  • Love Always
  • An Autumn Crush
  • Girl on the Run
  • All You Need is Love
  • Promises, Promises
  • Chances
  • Christmas at Rosie Hopkins’ Sweetshop (Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop, #2)
  • Walking Back to Happiness
  • Chocolate Wishes
  • Men at Work
Jill Mansell lives with her partner and children in Bristol, and writes full time. Actually that’s not true; she watches TV, eats fruit gums, admires the rugby players training in the sports field behind her house, and spends hours on the internet marvelling at how many other writers have blogs. Only when she’s completely run out of displacement activities does she write.

Jill Mansell's books have
More about Jill Mansell
“I haven't been able to stop thinking of you. One way or another you were always out of reach... I think I'm in love with you... Actually no, that's not true. I know I am.” 47 likes
“This not flirting and just-being-friends business was going to be bloody hard.” 9 likes