Start by marking “To Ride a Silver Broomstick: New Generation Witchcraft” as Want to Read:
To Ride a Silver Broomstick: New Generation Witchcraft

To Ride a Silver Broomstick: New Generation Witchcraft

(New Generation Witchcraft #1)

Throughout the world there is a New Generation of Witches - people practicing or wishing to practice the Craft on their own, without an in-the-flesh magickal support group. "To Ride a Silver Broomstick" presents both the science and religion of Witchcraft so you can become an active participant while growing at your own pace. This book is ideal for anyone, regardless of re ...more
Published September 8th 2002 by Llewellyn Publications (first published December 31st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about To Ride a Silver Broomstick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Ride a Silver Broomstick

Connor
May 08, 2009 rated it did not like it
This book, like almost all Llewellyn Press books, is total crap. It's a dumbed down version of a religion that Allister Crowley thought up over the course of a very drunk weekend.

If you want to read something about real pagan religions, take an anthropology course.

If you want to be a magician, turn towards Peter Caroll and Robert Anton Wilson.

If you want to piss off your parents, start getting good grades.
Nicole
Jul 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
Disappointing. There is some general good information but overall Silver RavenWolf is irritating to read. She writes as though she's talking down to you, much like that of a parent to their teen, and since I've already did my time as a teenager I was annoyed through most of this book. There is some interesting parts, which is why I gave this book two stars, but it is important to keep in mind that what she writes about is the color of the world through her glasses. Beware of trite generalization ...more
Thomas
Aug 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Fluffy, new-agey wicca presented as canon. Wicca has no canon. Spirituality has no canon. This is like WicDonalds. Wicca in a Box.

Think outside the broomstick. Read Cunningham's work for a better intro to Wicca. One that doesn't condescend.

Loran (Inked with Curiosity)
I really enjoyed this book but I'm only giving it 3 stars for a couple of reasons. I'll start with the cons. First of all I often felt like Silver RavenWolf was talking down to me. I understand the book was written for a beginning practitioner but a lot of the time it just seemed like the author was boasting instead of teaching. Secondly a lot of the examples of actual magic the author claims to have done to strengthen a point are just so far fetched I just don't believe her. It turns Wicca whic ...more
Madge
It's been almost 10 years since I wrote my original commentary on this one, which I'm going to leave below the updated version.

A lot has changed in the world, and for me personally, since I first read any of Silver's books. I picked this one up, and the rest from this series, as well as her teen witch book, waaaaay back in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Back then, I was mesmerized. Baby-witchling me ate up her words, even the things that made me feel uncomfortable. I didn't have the
Joseph
Nov 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this book as a beginner in Wicca as a teen. Now that I am older, I realize a lot of what was written came across as condescending and that a lot of it was incorrect. That being said, I don't feel the need to bash this book. Many people start out with less than stellar resources and then branch out to find more credible resources and as Yoda would say "Unlearn what you have learned." There are some tidbits to be gleaned such as the detail of supplies and a list of the very basics of differ ...more
Jul 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Silver RavenWolf offers the most down-to-earth, practical, non-fluffy guides to Wicca and magick. This was the first book I ever read on Wicca back in the day. Though Wicca is no longer the right path for me (I'm just straight-up Pagan these days) I still find Silver's books to be full of useful knowledge, ethics, and practices.
Ashley
Jul 20, 2011 rated it did not like it
In my opinion, this author is a fraud.
Meg Acevedo
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked some parts of this book very much. Other parts made me feel like the author was being condescending instead of instructional.
Stephanie
Jul 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Please don't take this personally, it is not aimed at anyone but Silver.

Years ago when I first heard of Silver Ravenwolf (in the early to mid-1990's) I searched her online and found her website. It looked like the online version of a New Orleans tourist trap: Black background with yellow typeface, very 'oogy-boogy' in it's presentation, and many items for sale which are in violation of the three fold law, such as "Come to me" oil (I may have the name slightly wrong, but it was certainly along t
Rhonda
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
I know a lot of people do not like Silver Ravenwolf's teachings or this book series for their own reasons, however, I have really enjoyed reading this book.

The book is a very basic text about Witchcraft and is a great starter book for anyone wanting to learn more about the craft= from the origins of the craft to the very many different sects of the craft in general. For example a Gardner practitioner does not practice the same as a Strega witch.

To Ride a Silver Broomstick
Lee
Jun 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book has some interesting history in it but for the most part, I feel like the contents are majority bullshit. I am not a practitioner nor believer of Wicca so my reading of this book was purely educational. I do not care if someone does believe the magic discussed within, and currently do know a few practitioners who are wonderful people, but I do think the author is a charlatan.

Why do I feel that way? Well, the author contradicts herself repeatedly about how the magic should o
Abraxas Abrasaxtes
May 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
When people fling around the word "Fluffy Bunny" in relation to Wicca, Silver Ravenwolf (amongst a few other authors) are the ones to blame for the phenomena. I read this when it was first published back when I was 15 or so and was originally enthralled by it, but as I've learned more about the Craft since then and read A LOT more on the subject I have to say that Silver Ravenwolf is the Queen of "Fluff." I agree with the other reviews on here that she has a very patronizing "voice" in her books ...more
Torey
Sep 05, 2008 rated it liked it
It's been more than a decade since I first read this book - and I find it very charming.

Although many in the Wiccan community (myself included) are quick to criticize Ravenwolf for her 'fluffy bunny' approach to Wicca, there is no argument that her work has influenced countless thousands and has contributed to the phenomenal modern interest in Wicca, New Age and alternative spiritualities.

To Ride A Silver Broomstick is a typical 'Wicca 101' book. It introduces the reader to most of
Nora Peevy
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
If you're studying to become a witch or researching Wicca and rituals, then the classic, To Ride a Silver Broomstick: New Generation Witchcraft by Silver Ravenwolf will fit nicely in your library. This book covers all the basics in a friendly conversational tone. Topics discussed include Wicca ethics, The Charge of the Goddess, creating your own sacred place, dedication and purification rituals, networking with other witches, spells, consecrating tools, meditation, divination tools, and a slew o ...more
Gaile
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: wicca
The first part of this book explains why the author chose the life style she did and chooses to call it "witchcraft" instead of Wicca. The second part explains the practices, rituals and holidays of the Wiccan religion. For those who are studying this, she advises using a notebook to take down the exercises in her book. She also lists of other books to read. I have read several books on the same theme and this doesn't differ much. A beginner would find this book very helpful.
Wiccanmoon JulieJenks
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jay-Jay
I'm still new to the readings of Silver RavenWolf. But I do really like this book a lot by her. I like the way she explains things in a normal understanding way. Lots of good info & tools in this book. I have the feeling it will be among one of my most treasured. Not sure why. But I just have a strong feeling that it will be a wonderful tool for me to look back to on different info...
Darby Riales
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is very good for beginners in Wicca or those who just want to learn a bit about non-mainstream spirituality. Unlike other reviewers, I don't think Ravenwolf is condescending. I think she wrote it for people who have no idea what modern Witchcraft is.

It has worksheets and fun exercises to get in touch with your inner witch. I very much enjoyed it!
Amber
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have some grievances with this book (like the strange depiction of Christianity), but overall I found it extremely helpful. 100x better than Scott Cunningham's Wicca, even if I was begging for more, more, more!! More details, more exercises, more spells.

My copy is tabbed and ready for a reread. More details to come... maybe!!

Summer Munger
Mar 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
Silver RavenWolf is the Martha Stewart of Witchcraft. I loved her housewife take on the craft. It was like coming home to a hot cup of tea sprinkled with magic fairy dust.
Lia N.
Feb 20, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one with an ounce of logic
Eek. I'm really glad this was a loaner
Junkie for the Written Word
Aug 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: new agers
Recommended to Junkie for the Written Word by: the dude at the bookstore
I feel dumber having read this book.
Monique
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: witchcraft
The book that started it all, many years ago ;)
Candice
Where to start, where to start...

The heteronormativity? The cultural appropriation? The thinly veiled disdain for Christianity? (But not other monotheistic religions. GEE, I WONDER WHY.) The outright inaccurate information in places?

There are also sections that most certainly did not age well, such as "webweaving" - pagan networking.

And then there's the whole "writing spells in another language that you're not familiar with is great" aspect - JFC, don't do thi
Hawthorne Moonwind
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: craft-study
I've held back from reading Silver for the first decade of my life as a witch.
In truth I think I might have benefited from this book early on. To Ride a Silver Broomstick is fairly practical. I think the exercises she recommends using in each chapter are simple yet useful things to consider or try.

I would never let one book be a be-all-end-all, but Silver does offer a springboard for new (and old) witches to work from, which I like. She encourages working, journaling and further res
Owen S.
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
The author wrote with a clear bias against faiths "of the book," particularly Christianity. She also leans heavily toward Wiccan dogma, which seems to me misleading or confusing for those recently interested in the Craft (to whom this book is directed) who are not necessarily interested in the Wiccan-specific path. Worstly, in parts, it felt like the identity of "witch" was regarded as little more than an obsessive novelty, almost a pretentious way to alienate oneself from every other person who ...more
Marie
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this book many years ago. I come from a long line of Witches. I understand where she is coming from, but I was not impressed with the content. I felt that she was saying that her path was the only path. Going down your own path will lead you to your destination. I think it you are interested in hearing how another person practices, you should read this book and then make your own choices.
Jama Bradfield
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Was good to read. And I hope to take more from it than I have, but she tends to parade the 'wiccans are persecuted' banner. Living in a very conservative Christian area, I find this to be too much as so many live and celebrate Wicca/Pagan rites here without harm or issue. I also don't see why religion would come up in an interview.
Yvonne Day
I am reading a mix of books so that I can design a magic system for my Urban Fantasy novel.

I was once told by my aunt that most mass published books will change things, especially if the author has to danc around a coven oath. The Old Guard holds some authors in higher esteem than others.

Take what you find useful to you and disregard the rest, and that is what I do with all books I read.
Alan Owens
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading To Ride a Silver Broomstick. The stories she would tell about the cautions to take,why we should take them and the amount of passion she seemed to have was inspiring. I hope to read more of her books.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Witch's Guide To Faery Folk: How to Work With the Elemental World
  • Wheel of the Year: Living the Magical Life
  • True Magick: A Beginner's Guide
  • Green Witchcraft II: Balancing Light & Shadow
  • Power of the Witch: The Earth, the Moon, and the Magical Path to Enlightenment
  • The Encyclopedia of Witches and Witchcraft
  • 365 Goddess: A Daily Guide to the Magic and Inspiration of the Goddess
Silver RavenWolf (Pennsylvania) is a nationally recognized leader and elder of Wicca, and through her writing has been instrumental in guiding the future of one of the fastest-growing faiths in America today. The author of seventeen books, she has been interviewed by The New York Times, Newsweek Magazine, and the Wall Street Journal, and her work has been featured in numerous publications, includi ...more

New Generation Witchcraft (3 books)
  • To Stir a Magick Cauldron: Witch's Guide to Casting and Conjuring (RavenWolf to)
  • To Light a Sacred Flame: Practical Witchcraft for the Millennium