Start by marking “Good Books Lately: The One-Stop Resource for Book Groups and Other Greedy Readers” as Want to Read:

The inside scoop on book groups--from the nation's leading experts!

As book group members across the country have discovered, Ellen Moore and Kira Stevens know everything there is to know about book groups, and then some. The founders of the country's first book group consulting company, in Good Books Lately they dish out fun, stimulating advice based on their own experienc
Published March 16th 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Good Books Lately, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Books Lately

Jessica
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
My CurledUp review: The subtitle of Good Books Lately says it all – it is truly a one-stop resource for any reader. Since authors Moore and Stevens are academics and book club consultants, they have successfully blended the two worlds, allowing for an emphasis on book groups but providing plenty of additional info for individuals who want more out of their reading.

Starting with a fascinating history of book clubs, from sewing circles to Oprah, Good Books moves on to important and mostly forgotte
Tara
Aug 12, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those looking to start/improve/examine their book group experience
This is the book that made me re-examine my disdain for Oprah books. How pretentious could I be? Does it *really* matter if someone reads a book just because Oprah recommends it? After some careful self-examination, I realize that I don't really care why people read, as long as they are doing it because they want to. In addition, this book gave me some ideas for nurturing my book group when it meets up again in September. It also gave me tons of ideas for books that I want to read! The only real ...more
Amy
Dec 09, 2010 rated it liked it
I think this was a pretty interesting resource book for readers, particularly those in a book group or interested in joining a book group. I wouldn't say that there was anything earth shattering here but it was a pretty solid book about books and reading. If you're interesting in learning how to lead a book group or how to be a better group member, I'd definitely recommend checking it out.
Book Concierge
This is a good resource book with some very interesting discussion question ideas. But I got bored trying to read it through. I'm glad I own it, though. And have used several of the ideas in my book discussion groups.
Alisa
I read this book when I was first starting my book club. It proved to be a very valuable resource, with suggestions on how to get the group started, tips for conducting meetings, and ideas about what makes a good book club book. Three years later, I still refer back to it from time to time.
Rae
Apr 06, 2008 rated it liked it
The authors founded the first book group consulting company in America and share their knowledge and advice here. They tell how to start a group and keep it going, how to get a discussion going, and how to choose books. Included are some fun booklists. A most "booky" book.
Donna
Oct 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who want to start a face to face book club
Recommended to Donna by: NYSL
This book is veru informative and useful to my thesis on on-line book clubs but it needs to be updated in regards to on-line book clubs but it gives a nice easy to read layout of how to make book clubs work and ideas to make it fun and interesting as well as gives some book recommendations.
Vickie
Feb 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
excellent resource for book groups and reader advisory - interesting take on reading behavior and the nature of discussion groups (that psychology thing)
Donna
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Many good ideas and lots of useful reference material.
C
Apr 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A nice guide for book groups. The book suggestions did seem to mirror the book guides they have for sale on their site though.
Dara