Start by marking “Wall and Piece” as Want to Read:
Wall and Piece

Wall and Piece

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  165,217 Ratings  ·  715 Reviews
Banksy, Britain's now-legendary "guerilla" street artist, has painted the walls, streets, and bridges of towns and cities throughout the world. Not only did he smuggle his pieces into four of New York City's major art museums, he's also "hung" his work at London's Tate Gallery and adorned Israel's West Bank barrier with satirical images. Banksy's identity remains unknown, ...more
ebook
Published 2006 (first published March 7th 1988)

Manny
Mar 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone in Britain knows Banksy, but I'm often surprised to find that my US friends haven't heard of him. He's one of the funniest artists around, and has taken graffiti to a completely new level. The paintings and installations just turn up, in the most unlikely places. Here's one of my favorites, which was discovered one morning on the wall of a family planning clinic in Bristol. (Note the thematically appropriate content). The local authorities were going to remove it, but the doctors asked ...more
Nat
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After seeing this next post on Tumblr, I simply had to add this book to my TBR.

description
“A wall has always been the best place to publish your work.”

I was looking for something to lift my spirits a bit, and thank the stars for sending this piece of art in my direction. Wall and Piece is guaranteed to brighten even your bleakest day.

Wall and Piece sets the mood wi
Mon
Nov 21, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-architecture
Disclaimer: Haters are not cool. I'm not 'hating' Banksy because it's the hipster thing to do (go grab an art school undergrad, you'll see what I mean). One problem with reviewing solo-artist art book is that you can't avoid talking about the actual artist, so here it is. I can't even be bothered to write about graphics. I mean, surely you're only considering buying this book because of the guy not the pretty layout right?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kirsti
Jan 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jenny, Kristin
In 2003, Banksy donated one of his artworks to the Tate Gallery in London. The thing is, the Tate Gallery hadn't actually asked for anything of his. He just walked in (or had a friend walk in, or had a member of the collective walk in--Banksy's true identity is uncertain) and stuck it to the wall. This is just the kind of appalling disrespect that I think the world needs more of.

Over the next couple of years, he made similar donations to the Louvre, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, th
Jonathan Ashleigh
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Imagine a city where graffiti wasn't illegal, a city where everybody could draw whatever they liked. Where every street was awash with a million colours and little phrases. Where standing at a bus stop was never boring. A city that felt like a party where everyone was invited, not just the estate agents and barons of big business. Imagine a city like that and stop leaning against the wall - it's wet.”
Trevor
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this. Particularly this

Amir
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
شاید خود بنکسی بهتر از همه گفته باشه: یه عده میخوان پلیس بشن که دنیا رو بهتر کنن؛ یه عده هم میخوان وندال باشن که ظاهر دنیا رو بهتر کنن.

گرفیتیهای بنکسی پر از ایدههای دوستداشتنی و انسانیه. مخصوصا مجموعهی فلسطینش و همینطور مجموعهی میمون و موزها. بد نیست نگاهی بندازید بهش
7jane
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(my copy has the "now with 10% more crap" red sticker in the lower right corner)

This book holds examples of graffiti/stencil artist Banksy, from 2001 to 2006, which aren't always on walls, and not always just with paint :) Sometimes it's just his name. Often the photographs have information with it: time, place, how long did it take to do it, how long it lasted - at least once in the last one the art was saved into a collection!

Surfaces: walls, animals, on grass and beach sand, vehicles of road
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Thought provoking and powerful - a tour de force of the absurdity that has become institutionalized in our modern world.
Maggie Stiefvater
Like many people, I just find the story of Banksy -- a sort of artist Robin Hood -- incredibly compelling. In my head this most elusive of graffiti artists looks like Sean Bean and drives a Lotus Elan or something like that. This book spares the words and lavishes the photographs, letting Banksy's political statements, hastily and secretly sprayed onto walls, speak for themselves. If Banksy was just an anarchist, rustling with discontent, this book, and his art, would be unimpressive. But Banksy ...more
notgettingenough
Mar 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, sociology
Added later: I found it quite moving, his description of being drawn to graffiti the outside of the walls imprisoning the Palestinians and being told off in no uncertain terms by the inhabitants. To beautify the walls is to insult them. Of course. Obvious when you think of it.

----------------------------------------

I'm loving this, of course. And it's not that I disagree, exactly, with his messages, but a dominant one is this idea that

The people who truly deface our neighbourhoods are the comp
Matt

There are two kinds of people in this world: those who know the work of Banksy, and those who should. I recommend this book to both.

I think this quote from the back cover says a lot about Banksy:
  "There's no way you're going to get a quote
  from us on your book cover"

Metropolitan Police spokesperson

________________

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Manny
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I noticed this yesterday in the window of a bookshop on the Route de Carouge. The translator has found quite a clever way of rendering the title: War and Peace in French is Guerre et paix, and "paix" sounds similar to "spray". The odd thing is that he's done it by moving the pun from "War" to "Peace"!
Sara Alaee
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who love art!
Shelves: non-fiction, art
This book is a collection of Graffitis that “Banksy” - one of the world’s most famous street artists - has painted on walls, streets, bridges and many other open places throughout the world. Quite amazing and artistic. (To know what graffiti is, the following lines give the best explanation of it as a piece of art):

“Graffiti is not the lowest from of art. Despite having to creep about at night and lie to your mum it’s actually the most honest artform available. There is no elitism or hype, it ex
H
Aug 02, 2009 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
Provocative and clever, but I would argue ultimately vapid. Something like an underground cultural icon for urban youth today. I only see three basic techniques or themes in his methods:

Irony. Soldiers painting peace signs, zoo monkeys holding homeless signs, traffic signs warning of more (or less) serious things. They're all clever enough, but ultimately just artifacts of a stagnant, consumerist generation that's well aware of its stagnation and consumerism. Like television commercials that pok
Rob
Sep 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Banksy's artwork, and this was collection displays it very well. He's a brilliant man with a paint can, and a clever writer as well. I would recommend this book to anyone not familiar with his work. A few quotes of his I enjoyed were:

Some people represent authority without ever possessing any of their own.

The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules--it's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages.

A r
Hasan Makhzoum
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edit More revelations and clues about the potential identity of Banksy (sources included in my review)

~ The great Banksy, The anonymous Daft Punk Djs and "Bambi", the Banksy-like female Street artist worthy of his legacy because Brad Pitt thinks so ~

During my studies at law school, I came across this poetic expression in a boring document about the administrative decentralization in the EU: "The world is like your home, except that it has few more walls".. To me, the essence of Banksy's art i
Rupert Dreyfus
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics, art
There are many great stencilists in this world (Orion and Fairey come to mind), but Banksy is up there with the best of them. Some people enjoy hating on him because he makes loads of money out of stencilling these days and his messages are sometimes vaguely anti-establishment. I remember Charlie Brooker once dedicating a whole article to how much he thinks Banksy blows nuts and it's the only time I've found myself disagreeing with my personal Jesus.

This is because if we focus on the artistry r
Jamie
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Nobody ever listened to me until they didn’t know who I was.”

When I lived in LA a few years ago, I went to a downtown warehouse after receiving a text message with the address. Banksy was in town, and in true clandestine fashion, the location of his show was a secret until just hours before it opened. I was impressed. I had never heard of Banksy, but his highly successful, clandestine, guerilla marketing intrigued me. I did a Google search on him and was even more impressed with the images of h
Bryce Holt
Dec 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Banksy is the most original artist (or potentially "artists"...) living today. Screw Matthew Barney's "Cremaster" series and all the Rothko and Rauschenberg nonsense some of the more effete curators shove down your throats. This is art at its most emotional and provocative, and it's in book form (which I assume pisses him off to no end).

Anti-establishment, anti-consumer, anti-intelligencia, and pretty much any other "anti-fill-in-the-blank" you can throw at him, his works are unfathomably creati
Christina Wilder
Brilliant, goddamned brilliant.

Linda
I'm not always on board with Banksy's peaceful anarchy philosophy. I was a bit horrified to find he defaced actual paintings in museums. Still, I find most of his work brilliant and provocative, and I love his sense of humor and whimsy as he artfully conveys his messages. I thoroughly enjoyed this volume of his work along with his commentary.
Matthew
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Banksy is clever without being deep, adventurous without being ground-breaking, and quite possibly the best known visual artist active in the world without being extremely talented. He's against the global soulless corporate machine, but his art is by nature a quick hit, the artistic equivalent of a Big Mac. It's incredibly refreshing and accessible and it's art that actually means something.

In a wander through a museum like the MoMA or the Tate Modern, you see some interesting designs, the occ
Keith
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
British graffiti, guerilla installation, etc. artist's book of documented works and quotes. It's great fun for anyone with a bit of an anarchist bent to their personality. Even if, for some reason, you strongly disapprove of graffiti, you gotta admit Banksy's stuff is pretty cool (I think you do anyway, but who am I to tell you what to think). He may be too well known and hip for his political message to be heard now, unfortunately... I'm not sure, but it's my sense that to a lot of folks once i ...more
Rick Christiansen
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
This is an art book, but here some of my favorite quotes:

"Despite what they say graffitti is not the lowest form of art...it's actually one of the more honest forms available.

A wall has always been the best place to publish your work.

A lot of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to.

Why would someone just paint pictures of a revolutionary when you can actually behave like one instead?

Sometimes I feel so sick at the state of the world I can't even finish my second apple pie.

P
Emily (Falling for YA)
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This was a coffee table-esque book. It was primarily pictures of Banksy's pieces. Some I had seen before, some I hadn't.

Still, I love the work Banksy does and thoroughly enjoyed this book. I ended up reading it while sitting next to my Mom and she kept looking over my shoulder when I'd laugh or shake my head. It's one thing to show someone an image you like online it's another thing to show them a picture in a book and have them want to read it after you're done.

Update: Mom read and loved it =P
Fiona
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Banksy's art and even though the "hype" is over he still plays an important role in street art and shows in great ways what's wrong with this society - which ironically loves him for this.
Ste Pic
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
L'opera d'arte nell'epoca della sua cancellabilità tecnica

Non pensavo che lo street artist inglese, forse il più famoso al mondo, oltre che stupirci, scandalizzarci, divertirci, provocarci, spiazzarci con i suoi bellissimi e geniali lavori, per lo più eseguiti clandestinamente e destinati ad essere rimossi dopo poche ore dall'esecuzione, avesse anche le idee così chiare sulla sua arte. Il libro è un vero gioiello perché ci restituisce un'immagine multidimensionale (si può ancora dire a tutto ton
Pheobe
Jul 10, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first time I heard of Banksy was on this website. I gathered from the summary and people's reviews that, more or less, HE was worth the read, if not the book itself.

I love art, it's my vessel to any interpretation I choose to have, and if you truly love art, there are no lines that a person can't cross. There are no lines that an artist can't draw, no limits.

I firmly believe artists also think differently than normal people. More often, it is the artist who is the introvert or extreme extr
abatage
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arts
Anyone who has a passing interest in street art will have heard of Banksy and the work he has done. In fact, so many people are aware of his work that it gets a little annoying from time to time, as it becomes a badge of honour for some people. To the point that I was getting sick and tired of hearing people say his name with that knowing tone that seems to say 'yeah, I'm hip too'. Thankfully this book restored my faith in why Banksy's infamy is well deserved.

I've never been able to actually si
what is your favorite peice in the book? 7 76 Jun 24, 2017 08:15AM
  • Banksy Locations & Tours: A Collection of Graffiti Locations and Photographs in London, England
  • Obey: Supply and Demand
  • Graffiti World: Street Art from Five Continents
  • Beautiful Losers: Contemporary Art and Street Culture
  • Gonzo: The Art
  • FRUiTS
  • Banksy.: You Are an Acceptable Level of Threat
  • Stencil Graffiti
  • Art and Fear: Observations on the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking
  • The Gashlycrumb Tinies (The Vinegar Works, #1)
  • The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt
  • The Philosophy of Andy Warhol (From A to B and Back Again)
  • Darkwerks: The Art of Brom
  • Subway Art
  • M.C. Escher: The Graphic Work
  • Concerning the Spiritual in Art
  • Anatomy for the Artist
  • Hand Job: A Catalog of Type
Banksy is a pseudonymous England-based graffiti artist, political activist, film director, and painter.

His satirical street art and subversive epigrams combine irreverent dark humour with graffiti done in a distinctive stencilling technique. Such artistic works of political and social commentary have been featured on streets, walls, and bridges of cities throughout the world.

Banksy's work was born
More about Banksy...

“The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules. It's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages.” 646 likes
“A lot of mothers will do anything for their children, except let them be themselves.” 515 likes