Start by marking “Simple Truths” as Want to Read:
Simple Truths

Simple Truths

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  192 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Seldom does a book come along that speaks to the core issues of life with such clarity and wisdom. This profound book is deeply informed by the spiritual traditions of the West, the Far East, and the Native Americans, with whom the author has worked. It is a small treasure of wisdom about life's deepest issues.
Published February 1st 2010 by New World Library (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Simple Truths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simple Truths

Eileen
Sep 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: us when we're looking for how we want to guide ourselves
I actually don't mind someone smart and compassionate and reflective giving me advice about the human condition and human potential, as Nerburn phrases it. I don't mean that in an off-hand, dismissive way. I mean, I am willing to hear him tell me/us how to approach education, parenthood, money, death, and other things that we make decisions about all the time. I thought I would mind - I prefer to think I have some intellectual independence - but I can't pretend that I would be as far as I am in ...more
Jan
Apr 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a wonderful book! Just when you think you have too much on your plate, this book shows you that this is all you need the rest is just "fluff". A great book and full of inspiration.
Mary Velicki
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book lays out some of the deepest matters of the heart with simplicity, eloquence and compassion.
Michael
Sep 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Very good philosophy on subjects such as money, love, marriage, death, work, giving, possessions, etc. I can't say I agreed with all his "truths", however, it gives you room for thought on the matter.
Brittany
Apr 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Given to my by my father after a significant life change, it has seen me through deaths, graduations, break ups, make ups, emotional and financial struggles.
Dirk
Jul 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title says it all. I can't count how many copies of this book I've purchased as gifts for friends in crisis.
Vicki
Apr 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of those easy, thoughtful books.
Nancy
Jun 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it in the past...re-reading it again. Always good.
Todd Saville
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insightful, poetic, soul-soothing and true. A permanent book on my shelf. One to reference from time to time.
Joan Riedel
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read the book tonight. Very good book to have and to re-read!
Anna
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
A quick, easy read that can be read in segments or as applicable. Powerful stories, strong thoughts.
Beverly Williamson
I Revisit Simple Truths

In this journey of life, we need to be reminded of our Truths. Simple yet profound. A great read, compass and anchor. Spirit filled.
Jasmyne Hambrick
Perfect for jumbled minds

Great beginner book. It's always been difficult for me to just sit and read because I could never concentrate on what's in front of me. The way that it is written made it easy for me to stay focused and actually enjoy what I was reading. The passages open your eyes to so many simple things that can impact so much in your life. It actually motivates me to read more.

I suck at reviews but I definitely reccommend this book to those who question different things about life an
Maasa
This book teached us what to keep in mind in everyday life. Not preaching at all, rather like the auther is sitting next to me and talking to me. Like the "Strength" part especially:)
Good to read it aloud too. Want to reread it once in a year not to forget his nice advices.
Ghita Yoshanti
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Daddy in form of book!
Brenda Bethke
To me this little book has so much wisdom. I wish the author would have made it longer. Totally enjoyed it!
Tommie
Quick read. Some chapters good others ok
Gale
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thinking
Predictable schmaltzy without depth. Very disappointing.
Cindi
  • The Power of Four: Leadership Lessons of Crazy Horse
  • Walking on the Wind: Cherokee Teachings for Harmony and Balance
  • Native Science: Natural Laws of Interdependence
  • Manitous: The Spiritual World Of The Ojibway
  • The Life of God (as Told by Himself)
  • Speaking My Mind: The Radical Evangelical Prophet Tackles the Tough Issues Christians Are Afraid to Face
  • The Scalpel and the Silver Bear: The First Navajo Woman Surgeon Combines Western Medicine and Traditional Healing
  • How to Survive Without a Salary: Learning How to Live the Conserver Lifestyle
  • The Misunderstood Jew: The Church and the Scandal of the Jewish Jesus
  • The Unschooling Unmanual
  • Elliott Smith
  • Enjoy Every Sandwich: Living Each Day as If It Were Your Last
  • 365 Days Of Walking The Red Road: The Native American Path to Leading a Spiritual Life Every Day (Religion and Spirituality)
  • Fully Human, Fully Alive: A New Life Through a New Vision

“The true measure of your education is not what you know, but how you share what you know with others.” 14 likes
“The human being is a surprisingly resilient organism. We are impelled toward health not sickness. Your spirit, as surely as your body, will try to heal....So you should not fear tragedy and suffering. Like love, they make you more a part of the human family. From them can come your greatest creativity. They are the fire that burns you pure.” 2 likes