Start by marking “The Law and Miss Mary” as Want to Read:
The Law and Miss Mary

The Law and Miss Mary (Randolph Family #4)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  78 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
It's disgraceful how St. Louis's orphans are treated. And Mary Randolph plans to do something about it. She's lost her faith, but she still has compassion and a drive to help innocents in need. If she has to battle with by-the-book police captain Samuel Benton to protect them...well, she'll give him a challenge he'll never forget.
A poverty-stricken childhood left Sam hung
Published August 1st 2009 by Steeple Hill Love Inspired Suspense (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Law and Miss Mary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Law and Miss Mary

Sheila Myers
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
It's been a long time since I've read historical fiction. Dorothy Clark wrote a wonderful romance set in the early days of St Louis and revolving around the fate of the young orphans in the city.
Paula-O
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Law and Miss Mary written by Dorothy Clark

Another wonderful historical story written about St Louis in the 1800's.

Mary Randolph comes to town with her parents and when she learns how the abandoned children living on the streets are treated by the Mayor and sheriff she campaigns to make it better. Her heart hurts to see them so thin with hungry eyes and a hopeless look about them. She has to help.

Sam is the sheriff just doing his job and trying to not let his heart enter the picture. He has a
Momof5boys
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
just a quick sweet romance novel
Michelle
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Randolph Family
Book 4

I'm not sure which book I liked more - the first book in this series (featuring Mary's parents), or this book...

Mary comes from a rich family in Philadelphia. But she doesn't have beauty that so many people hold dear, and she is hurt deeply when she learns her fiance was marrying her for her money - not her. So she gets permission from her father to go with her brother, James, to St. Louis where he will manage his father's newly purchased ships.

But Mary soon learns that
Amanda
Sep 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Award-winning author Dorothy Clark delivers another winner with The Law and Miss Mary. Her vivid descriptions make you feel as if you’re actually in St. Louis 1840 as she tells the story of Mary Randolph, who’s determined to save the town’s orphans, even if it means butting heads with police captain Samuel Benton. A charming story of healing, both physical and spiritual, The Law and Miss Mary will linger in your memory long after you’ve turned the last page.
Carol
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. Set in St. Louis on the edge of the new wilderness of the early 1800's, I envisioned what St.Louis must have been like at the time. I liked the main idea of the story in that others see us differently than we sometimes see ourselves. The attitude of the heart is what truly affects our outward appearance.
Karen
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Set in St. Louis, 1840, Mary Randolph strives to find a place for all the orphans. Police captain Samuel Benton must enforce the new law that jails these children. Together they face the mayor and his beautiful daughter to provide for these poor children.
Janis Kay
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, christian-fic
Loved the characters and the story was amazing! To think Mary wishes that she was short and blond is crazy, but thank Sam he got her to see reason! Lol this is truly a unique and fascinating story and I am now wondering what else I can find from this author:)
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The plot is all about Mary's quest to help the orphans; a quest I loved because orphans are near and dear to my heart. Along the way, Mary learns to love and trust again. A sweet romance is a nice back plot to the orphans and their journey home.
Fay Risner
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a good christian, historical romance. Mary might have over thought her problem with her attractiveness throughout the book, but I enjoyed the book.
L A
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy this book. I still can't believe how those so called influential people would treat those poor orphans so poorly.
Carrie
rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 17, 2014 10:37AM
Married to her own personal hero for over fifty-eight years, mother of three, grandmother of four, and great-grandmother to a beautiful baby girl, Dorothy calls on her life’s experiences—including designing and helping her husband build their home, complete with beams they hewed by hand and a real, old-fashioned walk-in kitchen fireplace she occasionally cooks in, to add color and depth to her sto ...more
More about Dorothy Clark...

Randolph Family (6 books)
  • Beauty for Ashes
  • Joy for Mourning (Exchange Series, #2)
  • Family of the Heart