Start by marking “The Gold Coast” as Want to Read:
The Gold Coast

The Gold Coast (John Sutter #1)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  21,342 Ratings  ·  1,229 Reviews
Welcome to the fabled Gold Coast, that stretch on the North Shore of Long Island that once held the greatest concentration of wealth and power in America. Here two men are destined for an explosive collision: John Sutter, Wall Street lawyer, holding fast to a fading aristocratic legacy; and Frank Bellarosa, the Mafia don who seizes his piece of the staid and unprepared Gol ...more
Mass Market Paperback, reissue, 626 pages
Published October 2008 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Gold Coast, please sign up.

Emily McEwan This is one of my favourite books. It is brilliantly written, has an excellent story line and is witty to the point of laughing out loud all the way…moreThis is one of my favourite books. It is brilliantly written, has an excellent story line and is witty to the point of laughing out loud all the way through (I first read this on the plane and was met with some strange looks). John Sutter has a hilarious sense of humour and all the characters work together with such ease. I loved it. Enjoy!(less)
Jose Evelio She didn't have sex with them ,but she was an unfaithful wife,always looking for extramarital sex,flirting with married men.Imagine,red hair and green…moreShe didn't have sex with them ,but she was an unfaithful wife,always looking for extramarital sex,flirting with married men.Imagine,red hair and green eyes!!!!!!!!!
(less)

Jessica
Jul 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DeMilles best, and one of my all time favorite books - if you read nothing else by him, this is the one. Its awesome. Very clever and sarcastic, well researched, set on the gold coast of long island with some mafia ties - I love love love this book and have read it like 6 times.
Jim
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Godfather meets The Great Gatsby on the Gold Coast"

This is a quote by the author from the forward in this book. I have read many of his books but his was a different read from what I am used to. I am mostly familiar with his mystery / suspense / thriller stories such as Plum Island featuring John Corey the ex-NYPD cop now Anti-Terrorist agent. This is a different story altogether with a different protagonist.

John Whitman Sutter is a Wall Street lawyer married to Susan Stanhope Sutter who li
Diane Ehrlich
Jan 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is my all-time favorite from Nelson DeMille, one of my favorite writers. Although I like his writing for his characters, particularly his little-bit-of-a-smartass heroes and strong-willed, red-headed heroines (can't imagine why), his plots tend to be driven by international spy, military or police stuff. Not this one. Nice Long Island man has life ruined when Mafia don moves in next door. Funny, moving and beautifully written. I guarantee you will not be able to put it down.
Corey
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nelson DeMille takes a different approach with The Gold Coast, I'm used to the John Corey series, an ex-NYPD Cop and an Anti-Terrorist operative, not with this one, with The Gold Coast, the criminal underworld.

The Gold Coast introduces us to John Sutter, a long-time Wall Street lawyer, who lives in the Gold Coast, Long Island, New York, with his beautiful wife Susan. Sutter's world is turned upside down when he meets his next-door neighbor, Mafia Don Frank Bellarosa, the head of one of New York'
Alissa Patrick
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John and Susan Sutter have a bad case of the RWPP- Rich White People Problems. John's a Wall Street tax attorney and Susan is a hedge fund silver-spoon-stuck-up-her-ass woman. They live in the Gold Coast, a stretch of land on Long Island where the rich ride horses, sit around the country club, highly gossip and judge others. It's all very Great Gatsby, until Frank "The Bishop" Bellarosa moves in next door. Bellarosa is the Mafia don of the New York family.

John, who has been suffering from RWPP
Jessica
Jan 25, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
John Sutter is a lawyer living off of his wife's family fortune on the Gold Coast of Long Island. These people and their friends are snobs. John is a pompous ass who is going through a mid life crisis. He needs an adventure, a challenge. And lucky for him, this challenge moves in right next door in the form of the boss of the NY mafia. The two become aquaintances, friends, business partners, lawyer/client, rivals...

The relationship between these two men, as well as their wives is sleazy, but pr
Tara
Jul 18, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-read
So disappointing. Maybe a book so hyped is bound to fall flat. But John Sutter is without doubt one of the most annoying characters of any book I've read.

His humor got easily tiresome. I couldn't stand one more "capisce" or "mamma mia." (I'm Italian, my family comes from Brooklyn, and not even with 50 of us in one room during the holidays do I hear that many "capisce" and never "mamma mia.") One day Sutter is a Gold Coast snob (I'm from Long Island and his type and his wife's type really exist)
Sarah Hovis
Oct 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love all of Nelson Demille's books, but this one is my favorite and, I think, my favorite book by any author. His writing is laugh out loud hilarious and the main character has a dry sense of humor.

This book is a cross b/w The Great Gatsby and The Godfather.
✨Susan✨
When a mob boss moves to the Gold Coast, the wealthiest part of the East Coast, the elite and grandfathered in residents, are in an uproar, but at the same time very curious. To the residents dismay a not so affluent couple of the neighborhood lets their boredom get the best of them, and they become embroiled in a world they know nothing about, and are not at all prepared to handle. A great read that takes you on a ride through the tangled lives of the very rich with original characters and wond ...more
Joseph Finder
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites. More of a straight “novel” than a thriller, but this, along with all of DeMille’s books since then, is a model of how to incorporate humor and attitude into your storytelling without diminishing the suspense.
Emily
Το audio book μου κράτησε συντροφιά στα μέσα μεταφοράς.
Τί ποιο ωραίο;
Να είσαι μέσα στο μετρό το πρωί σα σαρδέλα, ζώντας ταυτόχρονα στη Χρυσή Ακτή, σε κάποια από τις επαύλεις με τους τεράστιους κήπους!
Είναι το πρώτο βιβλίο του συγγραφέα που έπεσε στα χέρια μου, ή μάλλον στα αυτιά μου.
Προσέξτε όμως να μην κάνετε το λάθος που έκανα άθελα μου εγώ. Βλέποντας ότι έχει και συνέχεια, αναζήτησα την έκδοση και - δυστυχώς - όταν τη βρήκα, η περίληψη του οπισθόφυλλου αποκάλυπτε το τέλος! Γκρρρ .... Ήξερα
Mike French
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Great Gatsby meets The Godfather! John Sutter,a wise-ass Wall Street attorney from the North Shore of Long Island(The Gold Coast) has a Mafia Don move next door. A very interesting and enjoyable story that all Nelson deMille fans will enjoy.
Eli
Jun 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure I've ever read a novel that gave me quite as much pleasure as this one. Hilarious, suspenseful, and unexpectedly moving, it comes packaged as pulp fiction, and yet without pretensions acquires real weight and power. An absolute delight.
Randee
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't liked a book with Mafia characters this much since The Godfather. I actually like this better since I think it has a lot more contrast and context. The Godfather is all Mafia all the time, but this had a rip roaring story line of blue bloods and what happens when a Mafia don moves into a neighborhood of old money. Nobody is exactly likable but John Sutter, the blue blooded lawyer, who is the main protagonist, has a certain style (aka smart mouth/quick wit) that I appreciated. I also re ...more
C
Oct 11, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
meh

It was just okay. It needed some major editing. A whole lot of that book could have been cut out so that it didn't have to reach 400 pages. It was mildly entertaining, but if I didn't have this problem with returning books before I have read them I would have dropped this one long ago.

I did enjoy the way in which it was written, which was more like the author was speaking with you in a conversation.

a solid meh.
Kramer Thompson
Jun 11, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unreadably-bad
FUCKING GARBAGE
Jeffrey
Nov 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: demille fans
Shelves: read-in-2008
A very good story about the clash between a 40 year old lawyer on the North SHore of Long Island, his heiress wife and their dealings with a mobster. I found the story a little unbelievable. The Main character John Sutter mouth some really trenchant commentary about the North Shore, but I just did not really buy into the idea that even though he is inherently unhappy with his parents, and his wife's parents and sometimes with his wife and his safe life that he would just get so involved with the ...more
Gary
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and like another reviewer said it is a cross between The Great Gatsby and The Godfather. The story of a mafia don who moves next door to a lawyer and against all odds get on.
There is plenty of humour throughout the book and even though it is over 600 pages I found it such an easy read full of suspense, emotion and plenty of sarcasm.
I never expected to like this book so much and now plan to read more of Nelson DeMille's work.
Marius van Blerck
Dec 24, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy a good thriller, especially when I am on holiday, and in the past have rated a number of Nelson De Mille's books highly. Inexplicably, this one is a total turkey. The plot is poor, the dialogue cringing, the humour feeble, and, most importantly, it totally lacks "thrill". Avoid at all costs.
Victoria
May 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Abby Davis
Wow! What a good book! It's like the Great Gatsby meets the Italian maffia! One of those rare enjoyable books where you put it down a little smarter and you laugh along the way. I recommended it those who appreciate sarcasm and enjoy a jaded perspective every now and then. Read it now!!
Tori Montes
Nelson DeMille forwards this book with praises like it will change your life, the best book of all times and how readers have begged for the movie and I realized as I read the book the narrator John Sutter is doing the same through out the book to keep the readers from putting it down. Example the cynical sarcastic Sutter states I didn't know that later that day I'd be facing felony charges or Maybe what happened later wouldn't have happened if not for this event...etc... This novel is lauded as ...more
Kirsten
Way too long, didn't get to the point, redundant, seemed dated (didn't stand the test of time). John could be very witty but grew tiresome. Susan Really?? She was absurd. John's mid life crisis might explain getting involved with a mobster but the path he took in the face of tax evasion charges was out of character and didn't seem a plausible choice. Lot of elements in the story that you spend a lot of time reading about and they never get tied back into the story, just left hanging there as thr ...more
Alice
Mar 12, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was soooo not my kind of book. I was able to really rush through the 500 pages because I couldn't care less about these shallow blue-bloods and their sexual fantasy scenarios or convos with their mafioso neighbor. I had heard from a lot of people that this was such a fabulous book, but I didn't get it. This rich guy in a flat life basically has a mid-life crisis and gets involved with the Mafia don who lives next door and I never really cared one bit what happened to any of them! Yea! It's ...more
Eve
Apr 24, 2014 marked it as gave-up-on  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe I gave up on a Nelson DeMille novel! I read over 100 pages and just couldn't get into it. Nothing was happening! Maybe I can give it another try later...
Mainon
Feb 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mainon by: Kevin Flatley
Shelves: kindle-books
I kept comparing this in my head to Sidney Sheldon's Rage of Angels -- both books are a few decades old, both involve lawyer main characters and Mafia-related secondary characters. I loved Rage of Angels, and really wanted to love this too. But I never quite *got* the marriage between John Sutter and his wife. We're constantly reminded that they love each other, but most of the time he doesn't seem to like her very much. Not that he dislikes her either -- he seems to feel curiously insouciant to ...more
Marci
Dec 20, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chris
this was a terrific surprise. I picked this up just to kill some time until my Nefertiti book came in at the library, and figured I'd put it down then and continue later. but... I could not put this book down. the story was ify in the beginning but some thing kept holding me to it! as I got further in, I had to know what was going to happen next. Can't really give away too much of the plot, but it is very " Great Gatzby"-ish as Demille also says in his forward. Characters were interesting and a ...more
AndyS
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You will laugh, you will cry.

Having read all of Nelson Deville's books on Audible, this newly added book (to Audible) was a no-brainer purchase.

This book was originally published in about 1991 (as far as I can tell). Separate from the book is an introduction by the author, he believes that that this book will weather the test of time better than any of his other works. No doubt this will be true.

The genre of the book is a TRAGITY (i.e. Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet").

Be prepared that the b
Debbie Maskus
A more pompous jerk such as John Sutter has not graced many books. John has all the pluses of life-wealthy wife, prestigious job, community status; but that is not enough. John and his wife, having expended all their sexual fantasies, turn to the head of the Mafia, Frank Bellarosa, for more excitement. Nelson DeMille plants exotic sexual scenes throughout the novel that could have been omitted. The passion between Frank and Susan, explains Susan, is a meeting of the minds and not the bodies. Suc ...more
Enrico Tassinari
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
This book left me with mixed emotions. It's a great book, very well written, the modern Gatsby in many ways. But it's a bitter picture of american society, of american dream, of american family, of middle age crisis and of relationships between men and women. Nonetheless you can't put it down, you have to see the ending, you have to see how deep is the bottom of the well. It's bitter, but it's also fun (as every Demille's novels) and has that grotesque side that helps you to keep the distance fr ...more
Rex Fuller
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Their kids are gone. Their idyllic lives on Long Island's Gold Coast are closing in. John Whitman Sutter and Susan Stanhope Sutter are bored. But after Frank "The Bishop" Bellarosa buys the crumbling mansion next door to their crumbling mansion, and the Sutters associate more and more with the Mafia don, boredom becomes the least of their problems.

DeMille says he conceived and sold this book as "The Great Gatsby meets The Godfather." That's true if you add "as written by Henry James." Much of th
BEP090P32016: Mafia Don Let Out On Bail 3 14 Oct 17, 2016 10:44AM
BEP090T12016: Mafia Don Let Out On Bail 1 11 Oct 04, 2016 02:13PM
2017 Reading Chal...: The Gold Coast 3 15 Sep 20, 2015 10:44AM
Mansfield Public ...: The Gold Coast Review by Julia Joseph 1 7 Aug 05, 2013 09:46AM
  • Family Values
  • Waiting
  • Survivor
  • The Intruder
  • Joe Hill
Nelson Richard DeMille was born in New York City on August 23, 1943 to Huron and Antonia (Panzera) DeMille, then moved with his parents to Long Island. He graduated from Elmont Memorial High School, where he played football and ran track.

DeMille spent three years at Hofstra University, then joined the Army where he attended Officer Candidate School and was commissioned a Lieutenant in the United S
More about Nelson DeMille...

John Sutter (2 books)
  • The Gate House
“What these people were trying to create or re-create here in this new world is beyond me. I can't put myself in their minds or their hearts, but I can sympathize with their struggle for an identity, with their puzzlement, which has troubled Americans from the very beginning - Who are we, where do we fit in, where are we going?” 6 likes
“I wasn't sure about that, but one never knows. Sometimes a neighborhood, like a culture or civilization, is strong enough to absorb and acculturate any number of newcomers. But I don't know if that's true around here any longer. The outward forms and appearances look the same - [...]- but the substance has been altered.” 3 likes