Start by marking “How to Be a Monastic and Not Leave Your Day Job: An Invitation to Oblate Life” as Want to Read:
How to Be a Monastic and Not Leave Your Day Job: An Invitation to Oblate Life

How to Be a Monastic and Not Leave Your Day Job: An Invitation to Oblate Life

Dorothy Day was an oblate while she lived in the heart of New York City. So was the French poet, Paul Claudel. Kathleen Norris is an oblate, and so was Elena Lucrezia Cornaro Piscopia, the first woman in Europe to earn a Ph.D. What connects them all? There are at least ten thousand oblates in the United States today (no one knows for sure how many), and each of them is con ...more
Published February 1st 2006 by Paraclete Press

To ask other readers questions about How to Be a Monastic and Not Leave Your Day Job, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Be a Monastic and Not Leave Your Day Job

Start your review of How to Be a Monastic and Not Leave Your Day Job: An Invitation to Oblate Life
Tamara
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual-growth
How to Be a Monastic and Not Leave Your Day Job is a great place to start if you are considering the life of an Oblate. This was the first book on the monastic lifestyle that I read two years ago. At 119 pages with short flowing chapters it's a easy introductory read.

Br. Tvedten does an excellent job giving us historical background to Benedictine spirituality, the values for daily living and what it actually means to become an Oblate. He includes a wonderful list of Benedictine titles many of wh
Heidi
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was ok

This is fine, but not as good as Esther De Waal, Kathleen Norris, etc. There are some interesting nuggets about oblates (there will soon be more Benedictine oblates in the world than Benedictine religious). Seems like it was written as a book to pass out to oblate candidates who know very little about the Rule beforehand. If you've read other texts on Benedict you don't need this one, but if you haven't and just want a quick introduction, this is a short and easy read.
James
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Benedict of Nursia is honored as the patron saint of Western monasticism. His Rule has given shape to the communal life of the monasteries that bear his name, but his influence goes far beyond the Benedictine order. The rhythms of prayer and work in community are staples of monastic spirituality and Benedict’s rule is the impetus for much of that. But what wisdom does Benedict’s Rule offer to ordinary folk–people with jobs and families who do not feel called to the monastic life? Quite a bit act ...more
Simon
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While focussing particularly on those who choose to become Benedictine Oblates, this book is a helpful guide to any person seeking to explore how the Rule of St Benedict can be lived today. No matter our way of life, this sensible guide, with numerous anecdotes, is an accessible overview of Benedictine spirituality.
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
A lovely book, if somewhat general. It paints the big umbrella picture, taking examples from a number of Oblate communities in America, which is interesting. A good place to start reading if you are interested in following a Benedictine life path.
Daniel
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christianity
Brother Benet has written a helpful, concise, and accessible introduction for those interested in becoming an oblate of a Benedictine community. As with his other writings, what shines through is his humor and his down-to-earth, practical approach to the Rule and to monastic/oblate life. As he says: "Benedict’s way of life is designed for ordinary people. No heroics are required."

If you are attracted to oblate life, this is a good place to start. If you desire to know more about the Rule itself
Joe Haack
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have been told that there are better books on Benedict's Rule - but this was the one at my library. My understanding is that many of the Reformers wanted to bring the best of the monastic life to the local church. To that end, I am interested in ways that the local church could learn from his Rule, especially in the area of hospitality and prayer.
nancy marie roemer
Intro to Oblates

A broad description of the oblate vocation and Benedictine spirituality, it is a good introduction for someone wondering what it's about.
Tina
Nov 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
I think this is the final book in my monastic quest. I have decided not to become a Benedictine oblate. First, I don't think I have time and I don't think there's a monastery close enough. I can barely keep up with my own church activities that are 6 minutes away. Second, I wouldn't be allowed to take communion with the monks because I'm not Catholic. It was interesting to learn more about monasticism, especially the hospitality focus. If I was to read more, I think I should read the rule of Ben ...more
Tamara
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Adam
Aug 05, 2011 rated it liked it
This is an incredibly brief and basic introduction to 1) Benedictine Spirituality and 2) Benedictine Oblation. St. Benedict (480–543) is considered by most to be the pioneer of Western monasticism. His Rule is one of the most influential and widely used rules in monasticism and is characterized by such things as prayer, humility, work, moderation, hospitality, stability, justice, and peace. Oblates are those who choose to affiliate with a particular monastery and commit their lives to living the ...more
Frank
Jan 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
A very interesting book on how the Benedictine Monks allow "external" monks to be associated with their monestary. These oblates don't have to be Catholic and many are not. There are as many Benedictine Oblates living in the world and in families are there are Benedictine Monks in the monastery. It also goes into St. Benedict's Rule and how it works in the secular world. A short yet very interesting read good for everyone.
Candace Simar
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I first came across Benet Tvedten's writing in the Lake Region Review where he had a humorous short story about life in a monastery. This book is an easy-read, captivating look into the monastic life chosen by lay people. It also delves into Benedictine spirituality and its impact on the modern world.
Joshua Booher
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
This book was interesting. It was unique to see how a monk views oblates and their role in the religious life of a monastery. It was helpful to see what is involved in being an oblate and how the rule of Benedict can play out in a lay person's daily life. It was well worth the time it took to read it.
David-anselm
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a good read not so much in that I learned new things. However, it did recall to mind several ideas that I had not thought about in a while. It also presented some new thinking (at least to me) behind some old Benedictine concepts. The writing seemed like a gentle conversation with the author.
Dec 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
A brief and thoughtful commentary about the Benedictine oblates by a Benedictine monk. Lots of reflections from oblates and monks and nuns. It reads like an overheard conversation, which is a peasant change of pace.
Mike
Nov 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A guide to becoming a Benedictine oblate. Oblates are lay people affiliated with a monastery and living the monastic life in a secular setting. Tvedten offers some good advice on the practicalities of living such a life with plenty of good resources.
Alex
Jun 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Wonderfully informative though I would have liked more infomation on the daily schedule, etc.
Jacqueline
Jul 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great buy for the invitation to the oblate life.
Matt
Mar 22, 2016 rated it liked it
A charming introduction to Benedictine rule of life, though a bit more detail would have been nice.
Ked Dixon
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was a brief delightful introduction to The phenomenon of Benedictine Oblates.
Mary
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion, spiritual
Gave me pause to think what will I do for the rest of my life? Maybe it's finally time to make the move? Excellent book.
Carol
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
Provides overview and definition of the Benedictine order. Didn't really learn anything new.
Rosemary Daly
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of St. Benedict and his "Rule." This is a lovely book on how Oblates unify Benedictine spirituality and everyday life.
Jayne Fury

• Living Somewhere Between Estrogen and Death
  • The Common Rule: Habits of Purpose for an Age of Distraction
  • I Choose God: Stories From Young Catholics
  • Romans 1 - 7 for You
  • I Heard You Paint Houses: Frank the Irishman Sheeran & Closing the Case on Jimmy Hoffa
  • The Ragamuffin Gospel: Good News for the Bedraggled, Beat-Up, and Burnt Out
  • Tales from the Perilous Realm
  • Tony Hawk: Professional Skateboarder
  • Tools Matter For Practicing The Spiritual Life
  • Benedictine Daily Prayer: A Short Breviary
  • What To Do When It's Your Turn (and it's always your turn)

News & Interviews

“Don't seek God elsewhere. Seek God now, right here, in the routine things that have to be done. Find God in the ordinary circumstances of your life.” 0 likes
“When we react angrily or negatively about everything that happens to us, we're failing in patience.” 0 likes