Start by marking “Les Misérables: Volume Two” as Want to Read:
Les Misérables: Volume Two

Les Misérables: Volume Two

(Les Misérables #2 of 2)

Les Miserables is widely considered one of the greatest novels of the 19th century. First published in France in 1862, it is Victor Hugo's greatest achievement--the ultimate tale of redemption. Former prisoner Jean Valjean struggles to live virtuously after an unexpected act of forgiveness by a kindly bishop changes his life. His righteous actions change people's lives in ...more
Published January 5th 1994 by Wordsworth Editions (first published April 3rd 1862)

To ask other readers questions about Les Misérables, please sign up.

Start your review of Les Misérables: Volume Two
Ahmad Sharabiani
873. Les Misérables = The Miserables = The Wretched = The Poor Ones = The Wretched Poor = The Victims and The Dispossessed, Victor Hugo

Les Misérables is a French historical novel by Victor Hugo, first published in 1862, that is considered one of the greatest novels of the 19th century.

In the English-speaking world, the novel is usually referred to by its original French title. However, several alternatives have been used, including The Miserables, The Wretched, The Miserable Ones, The Poor Ones
Nina
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
You know an author has done something right when, the moment you have finished his book, you want to start it over and read it again right away. Wuthering Heights was that kind of book for me. That story of obsession and dangerous love completely drew me in. Les Mis is another. Because that story of goodness and redemption set in the midst of dangers and adversities is impossible not to get caught up in.

I have fallen madly in love with this book, but Hugo put so many layers and themes into it th
Incorrigible_bibliophile
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I now understand why this is considered to be one of the greatest books of all time. I laughed. I cried. I spent anxious hours on the edge of the couch as I furiously read through pages to find out what happens to the characters.

My only regret....that I didn't read this years ago.
Suchith vyloppilly
Nov 29, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: all avid thinkers......in any timeframe !
hmmmmm i wonder at the perseverance gone into writing this book. Unlike new authors, this book is a a reference book in the subjects that the author has put his breath on. And he is thinker who has dared to churn the raw world and call an evil an evil on its face.
The book would touch anybody who has a heart and who dares to endeavour to keep it pure and sacred. a nasterpiece recommended for life's warriors whose war is first and formost with himself.
Stephen Durrant
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
See under Tome I below.
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I made it to the end (not without a few tears shed over the boys of the barricade)
Lauren K
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic
YAY! Finally finished Les Mis!

Review:

So I finally tackled this monstrous classic. It took me well over two months to get through the first volume and several weeks to get through the second. There were many times I considered giving up and times I felt completely lost. In fact because of the intimidating page count I started to jot down my thoughts in a journal-like fashion to keep a record of my thoughts. I knew that when I got to the stage where I sat down to write the review it would be a dau
Anna
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am rendered utterly verklempt by the second volume of Les Mis. So much so that I finished reading it at 2am, tried to go to sleep, could not, turned on my laptop to write a review, wrote half a review, pressed the wrong button, and promptly lost it all.

In short, very few books have ever had such a strong emotional effect on me in recent memory. Victor Hugo is a master of literature. If I might pick out some sections that are especially memorable... Should I warn for spoilers?

Gavroche is my fa
Amira Mahdy
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An epic by Hugo . He painted his masterpiece precisely , each minor detail acquired the attention of his colouring brush. Les Miserables is an epic painting .

Historical events entangled with society as well as the very depths of human souls of which he says is the only thing grander than the sky.

Singing the 'gamin' rhymes, going to the galleys, meeting bandits as well as bourgeois and royalists, combats for freedom at barricades as well as the most exhausting combats within the soul : Conscienc
Pam Baddeley
Jul 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
This Wordsworth edition carries on from mid-way during a section about Marius. This second half of the book, similar to the first, has several big essays on connected subjects. Here they include such topics as the slang used by the underclass, the street children of Paris, and the Paris sewers. I must admit to skipping the odd page here and there to get back to the story. The storyline itself was more straightforward in its telling, not skipping around in time quite as much.

The main issue with t
Kristin
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ashgan
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hello one of my top 10 favourite books <3
No wonder it's considered one of the greatest classics in the 19th century. It deserves it, I've read many classics but still this one was more ordinary than the others. It has everything, it gave me a trip back in time to the old France, I felt like I can see the streets, the buildings, even in historic events I can hear the riot, Hugo literally left no detail no matter how tiny, and I couldn't help but cry while reading it. Beautifully written..
Ayden
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
it's been awhile since I've read this book but i just found a note that i wrote while reading it so I figured I'd type it out here.....

Cosette and Marius- I don't think I believe in love at first sight, particularly when it's not built on. But Hugo does so I can't really critique his beliefs. Well I can, but I believe that when it comes to love we don't have much figured out so who am I to contradict what Hugo believes is possible .
I found it interesting that Cosette is scared of a stalker until
Andrada
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I finally managed to finish volume 2 of the unabridged version of Les Miserables nearly 2 years(!) after I started reading it. I really understand why this book has so many abridged versions to its name, it really feels like Hugo needed a stricter editor back in the day.

Volume 2 has fewer ideological ramblings from Hugo than the first volume and some very engaging sections(Marius’ story, Cossette and Jean Valjean’s, Gavroche’s, Cossette and Marius’ love story), but also quite a few divagations
Richard
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: french
Having finished Les Miserables, I can now say that I preferred the musical, which was shorter, more emotionally engaging, and had more music in it. The book is very good, but the musical is excellent. I would also say the second half is more exciting than the first, being mainly about the inherently more exciting uprising stuff.

One point I would like to make is this. People often comment about the pages devoted to the battle of Waterloo in the first half of the book. What they fail to mention is
cloudyskye
Sep 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french
I feel mean to give this just three stars, since it is a great big work of art and I'm basically not worthy to judge it. But I'm also quite sure I'll never read it again, considering the huge pile of mostly fluffier and thinner books still waiting for me after this one has stared at me reproachfully for months and months on end. Not anymore, oh joy! (War and Peace can wait a bit.)
Just one thing: Volume one contains the best description of the battle of Waterloo I've ever come across. Weak French
Jackie
Volume 2 was considerably bettwer reading than volume 1. It was still a pretty miserable experience though. Cosette is probably the worst thing about the whole book. She's just so thoroughly vapid and so completely decorative.
Katie Wood
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The toughest book I've ever read & possibly the best!

Surprisingly enjoyed Volume 2 much more than V1 and found it easier to get through. Jean Valjean, is there a better hero ever?
L.H. Beynon
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Carl
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic finalisation to the story. An in depth tale that explores characters as they undergo huge emotional, social and romantic conflicts. Suffering remorse for past sins, battling against social and monarchical disagreements and looking to repay old debts. The characters each have their own intricate and exciting stories that are deeply intertwined with one another. You'll find yourself in love, scared, remorseful, full of regret and full of hope throughout the book.

The characters all have
Ele
Victor Hugo needs to remember that he is writing a novel, not a speech.

While there is thankfully less prude-shaming in this volume, I think the first one was by far more powerful in terms of words and events. This one basically felt like the Deathly Hallows in that it was just like, yeah, I know they all died horribly in battle, yes, all very sad, but look! They get married! That makes up for the pain they suffered! *rolls eyes* I had really been excited for the rebellion in this book, but the a
Ebster Davis
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Waterloo"

Going into this reading, I knew next to nothing about the battle of waterloo. I'm really curious to see if C (the guy who "won" the battle by simply being a defiant badass) was a real person. A lot of the chapter is really descriptive: I liked that the author put himself in the narrative and we get to have our virtual tour along side him. ('You can't drink from that well, there's skeletons in it...')

Then he goes through recounting what happened in the battle and why he thinks it
Donna
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading Les Misérables one tome at a time makes things a bit more interesting. I was surprised to realize that the story is very thin in this particular tome. Instead, Hugo dedicates the first third to Waterloo and then another third to discussing convents. The story is scattered between the two and maybe makes up another third. So in approaching this tome, be aware that it's slow, philosophical reading. That said, it's still very thought-provoking.
Dick Harding
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story is of course gripping and marvelous, but it is even more than a story it is a philosophy which incorporates villany, poverty and injustice and yet still comes up with hope, mercy and love. It reminds me not to focus so much on the bad others do, rather on the good that I may be able to do.
Phil
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A work of unimaginable scale, Hugo's "Les Misérables" is many things: a history, a critique of social class, a family drama, a revenge tale, a redemption arc, and a love story. But above all else, it is - at its heart - a beautifully simple, human novel.
Jenny Fribbins
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
So glad to have finished! I had to skim read so much of it to get through it! Don't get me wrong - the storyline is good but so much is unnecessary to the plot. I feel like a total heathen for saying that but still...
Nekieki
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You cannot not love this story, but again I am kinda annoyed by the extensive description of surroundings and events that are not really relevant to the story itself.
I will rather stick to the movie version.
Long
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story again, but not quite as enthralling as the first part. Lectures on politics, history and philosophy in the middle of the story, even though interesting as such, created unwelcome breaks on the flow.
Laprincessedecleves
It has lengthy descriptions which get tedious but the story line is good. I love reading it in the original French. Something is lost in translation...
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Two books (Parts 1-2) with common page numbering 7 43 Nov 02, 2015 01:01PM

• Le Comte de Monte-Cristo I  (Le Comte de Monte-Cristo #1 of 2)
  • الفيلسوف الجديد - عدد: ما معنى الحياة؟
  • Le Comte de Monte-Cristo II (Le Comte de Monte-Cristo #2 of 2)
  • رواية أبابيل
  • The Little Scarlet Flower
  • من زنده‌ام
  • Kunsten at græde i kor
  • Siima Škop
  • دم لفطير صهيون
  • The Year of Reading Dangerously: How Fifty Great Books (and Two Not-So-Great Ones) Saved My Life
  • Mândrie și prejudecată
  • يوم المغفرة
  • Bunu Herkes Bilir: Tarihteki Yanlış Sorulara Doğru Cevaplar
  • الشيخة روان
  • Veinte mil leguas de viaje submarino
  • Harry S. Truman
Victor Hugo, in full Victor-Marie Hugo, poet, playwrighter, novelist, dramatist, essayist, visual artist, statesman, human rights campaigner, and perhaps the most influential exponent of the Romantic movement in France, who was the most important of the French Romantic writers. Though regarded in France as one of that country’s greatest poets, he is better known abroad for such novels as Notre-Dam ...more

Les Misérables (8 books)