Start by marking “Les Misérables: Volume Two” as Want to Read:
Les Misérables: Volume Two

Les Misérables: Volume Two

(Les Misérables #2)

Les Miserables is widely considered one of the greatest novels of the 19th century. First published in France in 1862, it is Victor Hugo's greatest achievement--the ultimate tale of redemption. Former prisoner Jean Valjean struggles to live virtuously after an unexpected act of forgiveness by a kindly bishop changes his life. His righteous actions change people's lives in ...more
Published January 5th 1994 by Wordsworth Editions (first published 1862)

Ahmad Sharabiani
873. Les Misérables = The Miserables = The Wretched = The Poor Ones = The Wretched Poor = The Victims and The Dispossessed, Victor Hugo
Les Misérables is a French historical novel by Victor Hugo, first published in 1862, that is considered one of the greatest novels of the 19th century. In the English-speaking world, the novel is usually referred to by its original French title. However, several alternatives have been used, including The Miserables, The Wretched, The Miserable Ones, The Poor Ones
Nina
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
You know an author has done something right when, the moment you have finished his book, you want to start it over and read it again right away. Wuthering Heights was that kind of book for me. That story of obsession and dangerous love completely drew me in. Les Mis is another. Because that story of goodness and redemption set in the midst of dangers and adversities is impossible not to get caught up in.

I have fallen madly in love with this book, but Hugo put so many layers and themes into it th
Suchith vyloppilly
Nov 29, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: all avid thinkers......in any timeframe !
hmmmmm i wonder at the perseverance gone into writing this book. Unlike new authors, this book is a a reference book in the subjects that the author has put his breath on. And he is thinker who has dared to churn the raw world and call an evil an evil on its face.
The book would touch anybody who has a heart and who dares to endeavour to keep it pure and sacred. a nasterpiece recommended for life's warriors whose war is first and formost with himself.
Incorrigible_bibliophile
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I now understand why this is considered to be one of the greatest books of all time. I laughed. I cried. I spent anxious hours on the edge of the couch as I furiously read through pages to find out what happens to the characters.

My only regret....that I didn't read this years ago.
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I made it to the end (not without a few tears shed over the boys of the barricade)
Lauren K
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic
YAY! Finally finished Les Mis!

Review:

So I finally tackled this monstrous classic. It took me well over two months to get through the first volume and several weeks to get through the second. There were many times I considered giving up and times I felt completely lost. In fact because of the intimidating page count I started to jot down my thoughts in a journal-like fashion to keep a record of my thoughts. I knew that when I got to the stage where I sat down to write the review it would be a dau
Amira Mahdy
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An epic by Hugo . He painted his masterpiece precisely , each minor detail acquired the attention of his colouring brush. Les Miserables is an epic painting .

Historical events entangled with society as well as the very depths of human souls of which he says is the only thing grander than the sky.

Singing the 'gamin' rhymes, going to the galleys, meeting bandits as well as bourgeois and royalists, combats for freedom at barricades as well as the most exhausting combats within the soul : Conscienc
Kristin
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ashgan
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Hello one of my top 10 favourite books <3
No wonder it's considered one of the greatest classics in the 19th century. It deserves it, I've read many classics but still this one was more ordinary than the others. It has everything, it gave me a trip back in time to the old France, I felt like I can see the streets, the buildings, even in historic events I can hear the riot, Hugo literally left no detail no matter how tiny, and I couldn't help but cry while reading it. Beautifully written..
Anna
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am rendered utterly verklempt by the second volume of Les Mis. So much so that I finished reading it at 2am, tried to go to sleep, could not, turned on my laptop to write a review, wrote half a review, pressed the wrong button, and promptly lost it all.

In short, very few books have ever had such a strong emotional effect on me in recent memory. Victor Hugo is a master of literature. If I might pick out some sections that are especially memorable... Should I warn for spoilers?

Gavroche is my fa
Andrada
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I finally managed to finish volume 2 of the unabridged version of Les Miserables nearly 2 years(!) after I started reading it. I really understand why this book has so many abridged versions to its name, it really feels like Hugo needed a stricter editor back in the day.

Volume 2 has fewer ideological ramblings from Hugo than the first volume and some very engaging sections(Marius’ story, Cossette and Jean Valjean’s, Gavroche’s, Cossette and Marius’ love story), but also quite a few divagations
cloudyskye
Sep 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french
I feel mean to give this just three stars, since it is a great big work of art and I'm basically not worthy to judge it. But I'm also quite sure I'll never read it again, considering the huge pile of mostly fluffier and thinner books still waiting for me after this one has stared at me reproachfully for months and months on end. Not anymore, oh joy! (War and Peace can wait a bit.)
Just one thing: Volume one contains the best description of the battle of Waterloo I've ever come across. Weak French
Nikki
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-french
I think Les misérables is the book I enjoy most in french classics. The story is beautiful and I think Victor Hugo did a good job developing it. However as it's not really my style I did not find what I'm looking for in a book.
Katie Wood
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The toughest book I've ever read & possibly the best!

Surprisingly enjoyed Volume 2 much more than V1 and found it easier to get through. Jean Valjean, is there a better hero ever?
Carl
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic finalisation to the story. An in depth tale that explores characters as they undergo huge emotional, social and romantic conflicts. Suffering remorse for past sins, battling against social and monarchical disagreements and looking to repay old debts. The characters each have their own intricate and exciting stories that are deeply intertwined with one another. You'll find yourself in love, scared, remorseful, full of regret and full of hope throughout the book.

The characters all have
Ebster Davis
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Waterloo"

Going into this reading, I knew next to nothing about the battle of waterloo. I'm really curious to see if C (the guy who "won" the battle by simply being a defiant badass) was a real person. A lot of the chapter is really descriptive: I liked that the author put himself in the narrative and we get to have our virtual tour along side him. ('You can't drink from that well, there's skeletons in it...')

Then he goes through recounting what happened in the battle and why he thinks it h
Donna
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading Les Misérables one tome at a time makes things a bit more interesting. I was surprised to realize that the story is very thin in this particular tome. Instead, Hugo dedicates the first third to Waterloo and then another third to discussing convents. The story is scattered between the two and maybe makes up another third. So in approaching this tome, be aware that it's slow, philosophical reading. That said, it's still very thought-provoking.
Jackie
Volume 2 was considerably bettwer reading than volume 1. It was still a pretty miserable experience though. Cosette is probably the worst thing about the whole book. She's just so thoroughly vapid and so completely decorative.
Long
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story again, but not quite as enthralling as the first part. Lectures on politics, history and philosophy in the middle of the story, even though interesting as such, created unwelcome breaks on the flow.
Nekieki
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You cannot not love this story, but again I am kinda annoyed by the extensive description of surroundings and events that are not really relevant to the story itself.
I will rather stick to the movie version.
Jenny Fribbins
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
So glad to have finished! I had to skim read so much of it to get through it! Don't get me wrong - the storyline is good but so much is unnecessary to the plot. I feel like a total heathen for saying that but still...
Phil
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A work of unimaginable scale, Hugo's "Les Misérables" is many things: a history, a critique of social class, a family drama, a revenge tale, a redemption arc, and a love story. But above all else, it is - at its heart - a beautifully simple, human novel.
Laprincessedecleves
It has lengthy descriptions which get tedious but the story line is good. I love reading it in the original French. Something is lost in translation...
Sveta Demming
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books of all times. If you did not read it yet, you have to! To me, this book is an example of what classic literature should be.
Yara ✨
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
i'm miserable
Dark-Draco
I enjoyed this volume as much as the first. The story continues with Marius desperate to find Cosette again, but without knowing her name or address, he deepairs of it ever happening. But fate plays a hand when he overhears his neighbours planning the robbery of a rich man, who turns out to be Valjean and the neighbours?...Therandiers! The story moves quickly, with the two lovers finding each other and the fight Marius has with his grandfather over his wish to marry...only Paris is in revolt and ...more
Caroline
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Last book of 2016, that I finished a couple of minutes before my last dance performance of the year - I deserve a medail for winning over the tears, which were threatening to destroy my stage make up; looking like a panda (or a black metal fan, because, at least, pandas are cute) wouldn't have been the best way to welcome 2017 with my audience! Well well well...

I am going to spare my words; this book is, from far, among the best books I have ever read! This poetry, these characters (Jean Valjean
Richard
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: french
Having finished Les Miserables, I can now say that I preferred the musical, which was shorter, more emotionally engaging, and had more music in it. The book is very good, but the musical is excellent. I would also say the second half is more exciting than the first, being mainly about the inherently more exciting uprising stuff.

One point I would like to make is this. People often comment about the pages devoted to the battle of Waterloo in the first half of the book. What they fail to mention is
Free download available at Project Gutenberg.

I made the proofreading the 1st edition of this book in English through Free Literature, published by Little, Brown and Company, in 1887.

Vol 2: Cosette

The original file was provided by Internet Arquive.

Page 13:
"If you like to give me three francs, sir, I will tell you all about the battle of Waterloo."

Page 14:
If it had not rained on the night between the 17th and 18th June, 1815, the future of Europe would have been changed; a few drops of rain more o
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Two books (Parts 1-2) with common page numbering 7 42 Nov 02, 2015 01:01PM

• البؤساء - الجزء الأول
  • Le Comte de Monte-Cristo I  (Le Comte de Monte-Cristo #1 of 2)
  • Contes du jour et de la nuit
  • La mare au diable
  • The Ripening Seed
  • Son Excellence Eugène Rougon
  • Ce qui est précieux (Le combat ordinaire, #3)
  • Le temps des amours (Souvenirs d'enfance, #4)
  • Guerra e Paz – Livro IV
  • Selected Poems
  • Selected Poetry
  • L'Allée du Roi
  • Madame Chrysantheme
  • Tales of Chekhov, Vol. 9: The Schoolmistress, and other stories
Victor Hugo, in full Victor-Marie Hugo (b. February 26, 1802, Besançon, France – d. May 22, 1885, Paris, France), poet, playwrighter, novelist, dramatist, essayist, visual artist, statesman, human rights campaigner, and perhaps the most influential exponent of the Romantic movement in France, who was the most important of the French Romantic writers. Though regarded in France as one of that countr ...more

Les Misérables (2 books)
  • Les Misérables : Tome I
“في ما مضى سرقت رغيفا لكي أعيش ,
لكنني اليوم أسرق اسما لكي اعيش .”
11 likes
“البؤساء لاينظرون ورائهم لأنهم يعلمون بأن
النحس يلازمهم و أن الشقاء يطاردهم .”
10 likes