Start by marking “The Woman Between the Worlds” as Want to Read:
The Woman Between the Worlds

The Woman Between the Worlds

A female shape-changer, pursued by invisible aliens, escapes to Victorian London. . . where she is aided by Aleister Crowley and the disciples of the Golden Dawn.
Published February 1994 by Dell (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Woman Between the Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman Between the Worlds

Beth Burnett
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this book so many years ago, I had actually forgotten the title until I found it in a used bookstore recently. I remember being enthralled with it back then - I guess twenty years changes a lot. Or perhaps just my attention span. The story is still interesting and I enjoy the characters. But I found it dragged quite a bit. Still, it's a fun fantasy read and I liked it well enough to say if you enjoy tattoos and science fiction/fantasy, you'll probably enjoy this.
Althea Ann
Jun 09, 2010 rated it did not like it
19th century England. A young tattoo artist is approached by an invisible woman, who wants a full-body tattoo, to make herself visible. Unfortunately, her troubles don't end at invisibility. She's from an alternate dimension full of Lovecraftian horrors, and is pursued by an Ultimate Evil Villain called the Dreadful Eye. The tattooist, who falls in love with the woman sight unseen (ha ha), attempts to help her in her quest to free her dimension of tyranny, assisted by a young Aleister Crowley.

OK
Reacher
Nov 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
I sought this novel out after reading Corey Kilgannon's amazing New York Times piece on F. Gwynplaine Macintyre called Froggy's Last Stand. There's also a short video on the story.

The Woman Between the Worlds wasn't fabulous, but it had some unique ideas, a non-standard ending, wove in some interesting historical context, and showed ample humor and even some tenderness.

I found myself frequently peeling back the jacket cover to stare into the young face of the author, wondering what changed insi
Azra
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi
This book was pretty good - weird, funny and even fairly Lovecraftian. It also had Aleister Crowley, W. B. Yeats and other members of the Golden Dawn.

There were one or two scenes that seemed to have glaring anachronisms that almost took me out of the story (when were phones invented? I didn't think most English homes had them in the late 1800's...) but for the most part, it was pretty entertaining.
Liam
Mar 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was great fun. Light-hearted Lovecraftian romp about a Victorian London tattooist who meets a woman from another dimension, with appearances by Alister Crowley, WB Yeats, GB Shaw and others. Funny, fast-paced and at times even moving.
Mindy
Mar 03, 2009 added it
Shelves: half-finished
I'm over a hundred pages into this book and it's just really slow. All they're doing is running from place to place being chased by invisible assassins. I may or may not pick it back up later.
Amy Kinard
Sheila
Sep 11, 2010
Bonnie B
Sep 14, 2018
Hermetic Library: F Gwynplaine Macintyre's The Woman Between the Worlds beginning Aug 1st 2 29 Jul 28, 2013 10:11PM
Hermetic Library: First impressions 1 34 Aug 02, 2012 02:02PM