Start by marking “Diana (Sunfire, #29)” as Want to Read:
Diana (Sunfire, #29)

Diana (Sunfire #29)

Diana lives in New Orleans during the Louisiana Purchase in the early 19th century.

At a New Orleans gala, Diana meets David, a handsome French Creole aristocrat. But then her family sends her to St. Louis, where Diana meets John, a brave Kentucky frontiersman. David wants Diana to marry him, but will saying yes to David mean saying no to true love?

Number 29 in the currentl
Published September 15th 1988 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published September 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Diana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diana

Karla
Dec 29, 2009 Karla rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Sunfire collectors
The plot description pretty much says it all. There wasn't much else to this story apart from a subplot with Diana's friend Violette, who only served to be there at the end so the Nice Guy Who Loses Still Gets A Girl.

The main weakness in this Sunfire was the heroine's age. She's only 14 for the majority of it with all the romance scenes, and while that might have been of fine engagement age back in 1803, because it's a touchy issue even in adult literature, it's even more hands-off and unaddress
Abby
Aug 28, 2015 Abby rated it really liked it
Waxing Nostalgic #6- I love this book by my favorite author of the Sunfire series. She describes her characters so well and the reader comes to love them and understand them. It is so difficult for Diana to make a choice between David and John because they are both such wonderful people. I am always in love with them too! I like learning about the two towns, New Orleans, and St. Louis, in such a pivotal time of the country, the Louisiana purchase.
Shelly
Aug 14, 2012 Shelly rated it really liked it
Diana is the next book in my reading /rereading of the Sunfires this summer. Romance-wise I am not sure I am buying. Historically, I learned a bit and thought it was really interesting.
Meghan
Sep 09, 2013 Meghan rated it did not like it
Shelves: sunfire
First of all, the writing was clunky. I felt like Diana was stupid all the way through and the ending was not satisfactory.
Young Adult Historical Vault
This suffers from a lot of the traditional Sunfire problems--people with current values transplanted into the past being the biggest one, guys who treat women poorly being the other one--but doesn't have any redeeming values behind it other than maybe the opportunity to learn a little bit about St. Louis history. The major problems here are the pacing of the book (so weird) and the way that the subplot about Diana's best friend is shoehorned in at the last minute to wrap things up neatly.

Check
Cindy
Sep 26, 2016 Cindy rated it really liked it
I originally read this series back in the 80s, checking them out from my elementary school library. Having re-read them as an adult I think they stand the test of time and are still relevant as far as historical fiction is concerned.
Renae
Renae rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2012
Vicki
Vicki rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2008
Lisanel83
Lisanel83 rated it it was ok
Jun 02, 2008
CA
CA rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2017
Angie Sheldon
Angie Sheldon rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2015
Rach
Rach rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2009
Brooke
Brooke rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2013
Madhu
Madhu rated it liked it
May 19, 2015
Jenn
Jenn rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2011
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2013
Rachelfm16
Rachelfm16 rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2017
Julia
Julia rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2012
Evany
Evany rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2011
Tori Gronemeyer
Tori Gronemeyer rated it did not like it
Jul 11, 2012
Brittany
Brittany rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2010
Reading with Cats
Reading with Cats rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2014
Kylee
Kylee rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2011
Jennifer Call
Jennifer Call rated it it was ok
Apr 10, 2008
Meghan
Meghan rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2012
Karla Kelsch
Karla Kelsch rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2013
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2013
Katie W
Katie W rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2010
Dana
Dana rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Danielle (Sunfire, #4)
  • Elizabeth (Sunfire, #3)
  • Susannah (Sunfire, #2)
  • Nora (Sunfire, #26)
  • Veronica (Sunfire, #18)
Mary Francis Young was born on 23 February 1923 in Pratt, Kansas, the daughter of Jack Fant and Mary Francis (Milstead) Young. When she was very young, her family moved to the Pacific Northwest, where she raised. She studied at Maryville State College. On 24 October 1943, she married Daniel Charles Shura, who died in 1959. They had two children: Marianne Francis Shura (Spraguc) and Daniel Charles ...more
More about Mary Francis Shura...

Sunfire (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Amanda (Sunfire, #1)
  • Susannah (Sunfire, #2)
  • Elizabeth (Sunfire, #3)
  • Danielle (Sunfire, #4)