Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears: The Bear Detectives” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears: The Bear Detectives

The Berenstain Bears: The Bear Detectives

(The Berenstain Bears Beginner Books)

Illus. in full color. "Papa Bear tries to solve the mystery of Farmer Ben's missing pumpkin. Will keep beginning readers in stitches and prove enticing even to reluctant readers." School Library Journal.
Published September 12th 1975 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears

Calista
Another Bears story and this is the first one that rhymes that I can recall. The art is wonderful in this story. It is pure fun. A farmer is missing his prized pumpkin and the bears are on the case. Lucky the young bears know how to read because papa is a terrible detective. It is very funny. He does everything wrong. The culprit is caught at the end.

The kids had fun reading this and there was laughter and enjoyment with the story. This was a favorite and both gave this a 4. Usually the nephew w
Christine
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I adored this TV show~ :) Good old PBS.
Ryley Hofferber
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed "The Bear Detectives" by Stan Berenstain because I like bears. The Berenstain Bears are a family of bears that decide that they will help Farmer Ben with his case of the missing pumpkin. Ben's first prize pumpkin went missing one day. The Bear Detectives will find the missing pumpkin. First the Berenstains run into a brown and white cow that Snuff, the family dog, lead them to. Next Papa Bear finds a trail and follows it right into the pig pen. Then they find the blue ribbon that was o ...more
David Sarkies
A pumpkin goes missing
3 August 2013

This is probably more comical than anything else because it is about a pumpkin that has gone missing and a group of young bears (using a detective handbook) and their father, using only his brain (or lack of it as one might suspect) go out in search of it. The problem is that because Papa Bear acts before thinking he tends to get himself caught up in a lot of trouble (such as landing in a pig pen or getting bailed up in some hay).

I'm not really sure if there
Amy
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I was a child, this was my most very favorite book in the world! I still own it, but the spine of the cover is gone and it is obvious that this book was well LOVED!

I decided to borrow my library's copy and take a stroll down memory lane.
Cassandra Gelvin
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Papa Bear fails at being a detective.

It's another one of these old-style Berenstain Bear books where Papa Bear is trying to show people how to do something and failing at it. Just like the Bear Scouts book, Small Bear and his friends, who in this case are detectives, have a manual that they are following. Two of his friends are clearly girls, this time, as they are depicted wearing deerstalker caps with bows on them. Farmer Ben won a prize for a pumpkin, and he can't find it, so they're trying t
Colby
Nov 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: animal
This is a very good book; I like how it sounds when I read it. I enjoyed how the words rhyme and flow while being read. It has a very interesting plot of a mystery. With Bear detective pop trying so hard to find the missing pumpkin by himself. The little bear detectives have a book that says how to properly solve cases but detective pop will not listen and keeps thinking that other things are the pumpkin thief. This book makes me laugh. I find it funny because of detective pop. He jumps to concl ...more
Connie
Apr 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
This isn't a "Moral Lesson" Berenstain Bears book, it's an early reader.

As you might expect, Papa Bear does everything wrong, and the kids find the pumpkin thief. It's a pretty light read even for a beginning reader - some of the rhymes are a bit forced, and Papa's wrongheadedness is a little overexaggerated - attacking chickens?

But the kids like it, and it is simple for a beginning reader, and that's the important thing.
Kristen
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
We have always enjoyed books from The Berenstain Bears collection and this did not disappoint.

I admit I was a little worried when my son picked it out from the library because sometimes Berenstain Bears books can be quite lengthy but this was seemed to be an exception. There was a nice rhyme to the story about the missing pumpkin that made it quite easy to read aloud.

We will be looking for more Beginner Books that feature the Berenstain Bears in the future.
Abby
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"The Bear Detectives:The Case Of The Missing Pumpkin" is a great addition to your "fall themed" reading. It has a case to be solved. Who took the pumpkin? Where can it be? Young readers will have great fun following along to help solve the case.
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yes
★★★★The Berenstain Bears: The Bear Detectives by Stan Berenstain This one was was cute. It has Papa Bear and the Bear Scout looking for a missing pumpkin. As always Papa messing things up, while the Bear Scout follow the clues.
chucklesthescot
Sep 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, children
Papa Bear is back! I love the books where he tries to prove that he can do things better and always lands in trouble! The Bear Scouts are investigating the case of a missing pumpkin and are logically following the clues until Papa Bear blunders in and starts messing things up. Very funny.
Karen
Apr 12, 2016 rated it liked it
If a child is really into easy detective stories, they might like this. Very easy, looking for clues (except Papa Bear who just jumps to conclusions and come across as stupid), but mostly not too much in this book.
Shelli
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The Bear Detectives are on the case trying to locate Farmer Ben's missing prize pumpkin. Well, they are trying to lead an investigation but Papa Bear has a habit of getting in the way. Fun read aloud or independent read for early readers.
Gala
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This story is nice for age four to six years old. The words are basic enough for emergent readers. It counts the lessons that are learned from the detective work.This book can teach about stealing.Children will enjoy the silly story and detective work.
Catarina
It as another funny book of the BB, the usual suspects however weren't interviewed or the book would only be a page long ;) Even so it's a good book to get children interested in crime solving stories.
Erin Hanton
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not my favorite Berenstein Bears book. I know as a smart and capable dad my husband really isn't a papa bear fan.
✧ Kimberly ✧
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Cute and fun early reader book for a toddler.
Melissa
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eng-261
This is a realistic ficiton book about looking for missing pumpkins. It's best for younger elementary students. 5 stars because I love it.
Rachelolivia
Shelves: beginners, berenstain
funny
Katharine
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
My kids asked me to read this to them twice in a row. They thought it was really funny. Fun early reader.
Morris
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"I liked when they had pumpkin pie!"
Brittany
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My kids love all the Berenstain Bears books, and they don't realize there are important lessons in each story.
Alicia Sprinkle
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love the Berenstain bears! This is a great Fall season book, full of fun and rhyming text.
Hillvan
Sep 22, 2015 added it
Shelves: ok-2015-2-fall
AD250L
Aidan
Jun 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! It took me a while to read it but it was great!!
Dee
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love these books as a kid and it’s fun to read them to my kids!
Cassandra
Aug 25, 2016 rated it liked it
So cute!
Cws
May 14, 2009 added it
Shelves: jear
JEAR2-Ber
  • Just a Daydream (Look-Look)
  • Good Work, Amelia Bedelia
  • Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!
  • Just Lost! (Little Critter)
  • Franklin Is Bossy
  • Bravo, Amelia Bedelia!
  • Wings on Things
  • Happy Birthday, Thomas! (Thomas & Friends)
  • Clifford's Puppy Days
  • The Berenstain Bears' Class Trip
  • Thomas and the Jet Engine (Thomas & Friends: Step Into Reading)
  • Leo the Lop
  • Is a Camel a Mammal?

The Berenstain Bears Beginner Books (8 books)
  • The Big Honey Hunt