Start by marking “Scavenger Hunt” as Want to Read:
Scavenger Hunt

Scavenger Hunt

School was almost over. A secretive club on campus had organized a scavenger hunt for the entire senior class. In small groups, and with the help of cleverly planted clues, the kids are led throughout the city, and then deep into a nighttime desert. The sponsoring club has promised a wonderful prize for the first group to reach the goal of the hunt. But for Carl Timmons, a ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 215 pages
Published June 10th 1989 by Archway Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Scavenger Hunt, please sign up.
Alyssadaniellemyers
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

lisa
May 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mine-mine-mine, 2014
so, i reread this for a podcast my friends are doing. it's called worst bestseller. i am...kind of an insanely big fan of christopher pike, and have been for 19 (!!!) years. i'm pretty excited about doing the podcast with them, but i'm a little worried about my overwhelmingly positive feelings. (this is all to say, you should probably take any review i write for a christopher pike book with a grain of salt because i think the man is a genius and you will never change my mind.)

this was better tha
Abbi Dion
Christopher Pike is a sicko. That's why he's great. For example:
"The bottle exploded over the back of Davey's head, the tequila drenching his shirt and pants. but it did not knock him out. He whirled upon Tracie, his face unrecognizable. The blow had in no way injured him, but no human being could have twisted living flesh into such an expression of pure hatred and been called human. His was the face of the lost creature that lay hidden inches below the surface of the world's last undiscovered c
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Hell yeah, I'm reading a Christopher Pike book. Call it nostalgia. Or just call it me not feeling like reading above a sixth-grade reading level lately.

Update: I really got into the story and flew threw this book. But then Pike ruined the ending by, first of all, making it stupid and, second of all, not fully fleshing out the weak denouement. I guess this is why he is the writer he is.

(Hell yeah, I used a big word like "denouement" for a Christopher Pike book.)
Rebecca McNutt
Not the best book I've ever read, but Scavenger Hunt was still entertaining and had a good plot.
Rajiv
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
I thought “Scavenger Hunt” was very interesting at first. The plot seemed unique and honestly unlike anything I have read. I enjoyed the way the clues were setup and how the team started to decipher them. Even though it was originally published in 1989, the story did not feel outdated. The characters also showed unique and varied qualities and it was fun reading how they reacted to the clues. I really thought this was going to be a great read. However, it all turned out to be a BIG disappointmen ...more
Kris Lugosi
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
HOly crap I LOVED this book! I now understand why my generation prefers Pike over Stine. NOT SAYING I DON'T LOVE MY STINE CLIFF HANGERS BUT...Pike def. knows how to write a bit more maturely.

SCAVENGER HUNT is absolutely surprising. Carl is grieving over the death of his best friend Joe, who he wasn't able to save from drowning. After the tragedy all Carl wants is some form of normality but living with his guilt makes that hard. When the senior class decides to participate in an organized scaveng
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Re-reading this one was fun. It was interesting as it's a short young adult horror novel, yet there is nothing that speaks of it being a horror story at all until after the middle of the book, even buildup. While this is so, the story is still interesting due to the characters and the unraveling of the scavenger hunt. The ending of the book a pretty dark and disturbing, especially for a teenage novel. Still a fun book though and I loved the characters.
Kristen
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: y-a, 2018
Read this out of nostalgia and trying to clear out my bookshelves. Pike’s always had a little more horror to his books than other YA authors of his era, with a little sci-fi thrown in. Definitely plan on reading anything else of his that I can find!
Emmy Kihlstadius
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good. Quick read. Had a good creep factor.
Julia
I have never really been a fan of Pike and in a sense he may be the reason why I don't really like the horror genre (yep King is way more mild in a sense than Pike ever was and King's audience is adults lol). But basically you get your horror milk teeth possibly with Goosebumps but the hardcore intro is most definitely Pike.

So first of all I either hadn't read Pike in a really long time or this is more off of a beaten path but this particular book being passed to me by my sister wasn't actuall
Katelynn
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
Ugh I love a good (or bad) Christopher Pike book. And this was not a good one lol. He's much better at writing women than he is at writing men! Which is puzzling to me. All my favourites from him have had a strong female lead and all the worst have whiny boys. This was not the best but not the worst so no regrets - I don't even know where I got it? It was just on my book shelf? Maybe it's haunted!
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
Jan 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Barbara
Sep 11, 2008 rated it liked it
I just actually re-read this one a few months ago. It didn't really hold up, but I still think incest in a YA book is pretty awesome.
LG (A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions)
This book begins with a cryptic scene of a young man running from something, possibly either a demon or a cult. He takes refuge in a church, where he tells the priest his story. Then the book switches over to Carl, a young man living in a nearly dead desert town. His best friend Joe was killed in a freak flood nearly a year ago, and he's basically just been existing since then. The only reason he's at all excited about the scavenger hunt that's about to begin is because Cessy, a sexy newcomer, h ...more
Heather
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Christopher Pike's modus operandi seems to be writing a quite boring if quite well scripted, 'normal' book about teens, hardly having any tension at all then sending the end all sci fi. I didn't hate this, but did I enjoy it? Hard to say. At least it wasn't as actually offensive as Whisper of Death.

I read this for our podcast Teenage Scream, which dissects the best (and worst) of 90s Teen Horror.

Jules Fier
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Have been a fan of Pike and read many of his books a long time ago, and this was a book that I pretty much enjoyed, as it dealt with the concept of things like cryptozoology and myths and legends of ancient reptilian humanoids, going to David Icke territory or V the TV series territory. Fans of people who liked cartoon series like Inhumanoids, Dinosaucers, Dinoriders, Conan the Adventurer, GI Joe Real American Heroes should be able to appreciate this type of fiction.

Serena
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Definitely not what I was expecting at all, I guess they really meant it when they said don’t judge a book by its cover. The cover made me think it would end up in paranormal territory. The twists weren’t as shocking as some of Pike’s books, I could kind of see them coming early on. And I found myself getting confused at some parts but that’s probably just me. Overall, good story!
Ava Haine
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Christine Kayser
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
It was fun getting back to one of my favorite authors as a teenager. This is another of those high school students in grave danger from something spooky type books. It was a fun read and reminded me of how much I loved these books in middle school.
Sarah Koz
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hey, my ancestors!
Stacy Simpson
Jan 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book had I thought an interesting plot line. However it went into some crap about a lizard like people from before the age of man.

Crap crap crap. Got rid of this for sure.
Lindsey
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, young-adult
Noticing a theme of caves in the California desert, evil beings with mind control patterns, over-sexualization
Lauren
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was bananas. B A N A N A S. (Better than the other two but still bonkers af.)
LC
Jun 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Ugh
Emma
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I read every Christopher Pike book I could get my hands on as a pre-teen. loved them then but I am sure if I reread them now I would laugh at myself
Kate
Jul 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Re-read September 2018
I brought this book along to the Boston Teen Author Festival just to have something light and easy to read while riding the subway and waiting in line, and I did not regret it. I love me some Christopher Pike, and I had completely forgotten everything about this story.

First off, this cover is a lie. There is no part of the scavenger hunt that happens in a graveyard. Most of it takes place in a weird mine and in a church. Second, the scavenger hunt isn't really a big part of
Kim
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is another book I remember from my childhood that I decided to re-read for the fun of it. There were elements of this book that I remembered, but most of it was pretty foggy. This is the story of a group of teenagers who team up to do a school scavenger hunt sponsored by a mysterious man who runs a mysterious club. At least, you THINK that is what this book is about because about 2/3 of the way in, it takes a hard left turn into Crazytown. And I'm not talking about Main Street Crazytown, bu ...more
PurplyCookie
Carl Timmons, a high-school senior in a small California town, is troubled by the accidental death of his best friend. Trying to achieve some normalcy in his life, he is drawn into the school scavenger hunt. His team includes three newcomers to the town, while their competition included an old friend, his best friend's girl, and her handicapped brother. As the hunt progresses, it takes a freakish turn that unfortunately was a little too out there for me. I'm a Pike fan, but for some reason, this ...more
Steen
I'm pretty sure this was one that I had originally owned as a teenager but nothing about this book rang a bell for me.

I was pretty well sucked right in from the start and I found even now that there were a few scenes that were pretty intense. This was definately one of Christopher Pike's odder books though. The ending was pretty out there. A ancient species of intellectual lizard dinosaurs!?

(minor spoilers below - but not really)

The only beef I have with this one is I don't really get the big pu
Ryan
Feb 08, 2010 rated it liked it
The other day I was wanting something easy, quick, and fun to read, but I didn't feel like hunting something down in a bookstore or browsing through the NOOK store. So I went to the greatest resource every bibliophile has, my own bookcases. To tell you the truth, I almost forgot I owned this book, especially since I was never a huge Christopher Pike fan. I think this is the only book of his I've owned, let along kept all these years later.

It's probably been at least ten years since I've picked i
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Genre; Mystery 1 2 Nov 01, 2016 12:35PM
Scavenger Hunt By:christopher pike 7 27 Jan 14, 2013 11:23AM

• Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
  • Beach Party (Point Horror, #8)
  • Prom Dress
  • Trick or Treat (Point Horror, #6)
  • Party Line
  • The Kill (The Forbidden Game, #3)
Christopher Pike is the pseudonym of Kevin McFadden. He is a bestselling author of young adult and children's fiction who specializes in the thriller genre.

McFadden was born in New York but grew up in California where he stills lives in today. A college drop-out, he did factory work, painted houses and programm