Start by marking “My Teacher Is an Alien (My Teacher Is an Alien, #1)” as Want to Read:
My Teacher Is an Alien (My Teacher Is an Alien, #1)

My Teacher Is an Alien

(My Teacher Is an Alien #1)

Sixth grade is just out of this world!

Susan Simmons can tell that her new substitute teacher is really weird. But she doesn't know how weird until she catches him peeling off his face -- and realizes that "Mr. Smith" is really an alien!

At first no one will believe her except Peter Thompson, the class brain. When Peter and Susan discover Mr. Smith's horrible plans for the

Published July 1st 2005 by Aladdin (first published 1989)

Stephanie
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
I remember I literally couldn't put this book down. I read it at school. My sixth grade teacher noticed and borrowed it as one of her read out loud to the class books. The whole class loved it and after it was over they carried me around the class on their shoulders. Okay maybe the last part didn't happen but I was seriously popular for weeks cause kids wanted spoilers.
Mike Kalmbach
Dec 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: middle grade students, especially those who have ever felt like an outcast
Recommended to Mike by: Steve Juhas
This book single-handedly made me fall in love with science fiction when I was in fourth grade (thanks, Mr. Juhas!). I reread this book dozens of times as a kid, but reread it for the first time in more than a decade over the last couple of nights.

One of the things I'd forgotten was that this book is written from the perspective of a sixth grade girl named Susan. In my opinion, her gender wasn't all that important to the story, but it's interesting to note that Coville chose to write from a gir
Marco
Apr 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
So I really didn't have much of a life as a kid, but I remember ploughing through these one summer, probably when I had a twisted ankle and was couch-bound. Looks like he kept writing beyond the years I read him, but these were essential readings at the time. Miss you Scholastic!
Becky
Jan 10, 2010 added it
Recommends it for: kids
Shelves: mg-scifi, favorites
What is there to even say? Bruce Coville is the reason I love reading, and the reason I love sf/f in particular. This was the most formative series of my childhood. The first book is pretty light and silly (the end of the series is quite a bit heavier), and utterly delightful.
Allie
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My 11 year old son really liked listening to this audiobook, even after he read the copy that he owns. And I really liked listening to it with him!
Rebecca
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was one of my favorite books as a kid and I’m pleased to see students continue to check it out, as well as Coville’s newer books. It held up on re-read much better than expected – it’s really a suspenseful and well crafted story. Good use of the evil teacher trope. Mr. Smith has some very creepy standoffs with Susan as he stays in character as their teacher. Trying to balance supernatural threat with the pressure of daily life is always a great lens for the experience of being young - I lik ...more
Madissen
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book because it was all about a teacher that was actully alien.
Dolly
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
I discovered that our local library OverDrive website had a bunch of fun children's books in audiobook editions, so I thought I would give this one a try. It's a fun, fast story and I enjoyed listening to Liza Ross narrate the story. I really like that it is told from Susan's perspective, instead of from a boy's.

Overall, I thought the plot was a bit silly, but I liked it anyway. I see, now that I've gone on Goodreads to post this review, that this is just the first book in the My Teacher is an
Nafi Camara
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
1.I love this book. It`s very interesting. for example, on page 93. When Duncan,Peter and Susan was spying on Mr.Smith. Duncan went in a room and saw a breif case. He opened it and he started to scream very loud because an alien head poped up and started to talk in a weird language. Another is that on page 51. When Peter and Susan was in the middle of the attic. They saw Ms.Schwartz frozen in a rectangular see through box.
2. I would reccommend this book to my brother Mohamed. I would reccommend
Andrew Foster
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Grade Level: 6th to 8th

This science fiction book is about an alien that comes to Earth, poses as a teacher, and has a plan to abduct students for study. The main character, Susan, discovers he is an alien and the book unfolds with her attempting to foil the aliens plan. The book is not very long, but very easy to read. The dialogue includes internal monologue from the main character.

This book can be used to discuss unlikely friends (Peter and Susan), the possibility of aliens, or the process of
Websterc
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!!! I discovered this book when I was in middle school. This is how I figured out that books contain adventures between their pages. Then I was hooked. This book is the reason why I read. Thanks B.C.
Pete
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bedtime-stories
I've had to fight my now 1st grade son for two years about reading this book. Ever since he came across it in a box he's been on me to read it too him. I told him last summer that in 2017 we could read it. On January 1st he brought it up and I agreed. My main concern was that he wouldn't understand much of the 6th grade setting or storyline. It was no problem, he loved it but 3rd grade age would probably be the sweet spot. This is the first book in awhile, other than Spider-Man that he brought u ...more
T.S. S. Fulk
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun kid's book with a twist at the end.
"KayFey"
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't begin to say how much I ADORE this book! This was one of the reads that made my childhood! A student is suspicious about her sixth-grade classes new substitute teacher. He shows that he is preternaturally strong and other habits she finds..'off'. No one will listen to her or take her seriously except the classroom 'nerd' (this was during a time when it was a very, very bad thing to be a 'nerd'. Or even be called one. i.e. the 1980s). Soon, both students begin to track the teacher, follow ...more
Books Kids Like
When Mr. John Smith starts teaching the sixth grade, Susan Simmons assumes that Ms. Schwartz was fired for her radical teaching methods. Mr. Smith is anything but radical. He brings back the standard reader, vetoes the annual class play, refuses to read a fun book aloud, and hates music. When he unknowingly picks up a nasty note Susan writes, she tries to get it back during recess. This doesn't work so she follows Mr. Smith home. Hearing what sounds like a cat in a blender and finding the door u ...more
Unique Carranza
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book i have read was,"My Teacher is an Alien".It was a very interesting book that was about students wanting to find there teacher that was nowhere to be found.And they had gotten a new teacher his name was,"Mr.Smith".They did not like him and they would go to his house and they would get information about him being an alien,also they would get information about there missing teacher,"Mrs.Schwarts".So they just kept going to see Mrs.Schwarts and take pictures of alien things so they can have ...more
Matt
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's been...I don't know...over 20 years since I read this? I read a lot of books in middle school, and this was one of my favorites, and it's one of the few I still very clearly remember. I also remember the feeling of pure EXHILARATION reading it; it was definitely one of the first to so completely and utterly grab me the way it did. I loved this series then, as a middle-schooler, the way I love Dune, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and Patrick O'Brien now.

Perhaps most importantly, this book
Grandma's Boy
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a teacher named Mr. Smith that his real name is Broxholm. He wants to take five kids with him so he can study them in space. A girl finds out and she tells a group of all her sixth graders about it. Just so i don't spoil the ending ill just say this, the alien is hideous. That is nice honey!
Ellie Vinehout
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Imagine finding out that your sixth grade teacher was going to abduct five kids in your class, the best student, the worst student, and three of the most average students. Being the only two kids to find out if Mr. Smith was really an alien, Susan and Peter had to find proof.
Sam.the.wolf.king
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was a pretty good book and really exiting.
Melusine Parry
So bad. Loved it as a child.
Jen
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ah, nostalgia! I loved this book when it was first read to me by my 3rd grade teacher. It still holds up as an excellent sci-fi book for younger kids.

I was an avid reader when I was younger so when my teacher started reading it, I got my hands on my own copy as quickly as possible to finish it up. When I first read it, I pictured my own school in place of the action of the book. The halls they walked down were the same halls I explored. I'm not sure why my 8/9 year old brain went there but I sup
JESSICA J
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
My Teacher is an Alien is on my favorites shelf because it was humorous and I love a book with a suspenseful plot. I found it hard to put down because almost every chapter was left unresolved as the climax built up so I had to keep reading to find out what happened! The ending was unexpected, and I was left wondering if there is a sequel (found out they are a series!) which made me feel better about the cliffhanger ending. This book would be great to introduce readers to science fiction because ...more
Maria Rowe
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so much fun to read and case me a case of nostalgia… so much so, that when I finished reading it, I started to suspect I actually read this when I was little. Oh well! It was fun to read (again?). I think I read so many books like this when I was in grade school, that they’ve all blurred together. I initially thought the narrator would be Peter since he’s sorting of look out on the cover so it was a fun surprise that Susan was the real narrator. (It seems like a lot of sci-fi books - es ...more
Each chapter ending on a cliff hanger, it's hard to put down the thrilling adventure of a girl who discovers that her teacher is an alien. Can she rescue everyone- or anyone- on time?

Using sci-fi and aliens- this book could be used as a metaphor for what it can feel like being a kid- not being believed by adults, not being able to talk to adults, trying to tackle big problems on your own...

I really like everything I've read by this author. His books came out when I was the right age for them, bu
Angela
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book in a couple of hours and it was my 5 years daughter first SF book (I told her the summary of the whole book and she understood everything), so you can see this book is also for very young readers. Also, while retelling the story I was asked why it is so easy to get in, in someone else home ( not only once, but 3 times :)).

The plot is very simple and the story is funny but the illustrations are horrible.
Sean Chick
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have not read this since fourth grade and decided to see how it held up. Mostly very well. Sure, the prose is for the young, but there are some moments of terror, wonder, tenderness, and creepiness. Character development is better than one might expect. The illustrations are some of my favorite in any book. The classic cover still packs a punch.

Overall, I am excited to (again) read the next three books.
Benjamin Ellefson
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When sixth grade Susan discovers that her teacher is an alien, she doesn't know what to do. She knows adults won't believe her. She needs to find proof.

Teaming up with the class nerd and bully, they set out to find the proof and save themselves before that are kidnapped and taken to another world.

This fun book is perfect for school agers 8 to 12.

Check out my full review on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqxu7...

james
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
As an adult the book is a very slow start. But it picks up, and as an adult you can read it in 60-90 minutes. What now is probably a pretty common-place episode of a Nickelodeon sitcom (kids suspicious their teacher has a dark secret), Coville manages to stretch out for the entirety of the book. The protagonist struggles, has plans that don't work out, uses a variety of skills to overcome challenges. Pretty well-written from a storytelling POV, aside from the slow start.
Mary Garrett
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My Teacher Is an Alien by Bruce Coville
Ready, Set, Play that Sousa march! Friends face dangers together! This is a wild, wacky book with aliens, bullies, danger . . . and piccolos? I listened to the well-read CD, but as suspense mounted, I switched to reading the book -- both versions wonderful, and the illustrations added nicely. I'm going to suggest this to friends with young readers, but I'll also read the series myself because good books know no age limit.
page 36 mistake 2 22 Feb 18, 2012 06:49PM
  • The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks
  • Sideways Arithmetic from Wayside School (Wayside School #2.5)
  • Nighty-Nightmare (Bunnicula, #4)
  • The Forgotten Door
  • The Indian In The Cupboard Trilogy
  • Scary Stories Treasury
  • Interstellar Pig (Interstellar Pig #1)
  • The Andalite Chronicles (Animorphs Chronicles, #1)
  • Claudia and the Middle School Mystery (The Baby-Sitters Club, #40)
  • Alien Secrets
  • The Cure
  • Ghosts Beneath Our Feet
  • The Kid in the Red Jacket
  • The Enormous Egg
  • Dragon and Herdsman (Dragonback, #4)
  • The Headless Cupid (Stanley Family, #1)
  • The Eyes of the Killer Robot
  • Dead Girl Running (New Order, #1)

My Teacher Is an Alien (4 books)
  • My Teacher Fried My Brains (My Teacher Is an Alien, #2)
  • My Teacher Glows in the Dark (My Teacher Is an Alien, #3)
  • My Teacher Flunked the Planet (My Teacher Is an Alien, #4)
“Hey, Geekoid!" yelled Duncan Dougal, "Why do you read so much? Don't you know how to watch TV?” 18 likes