Start by marking “Das Phantom” as Want to Read:
Das Phantom

Das Phantom

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  10,157 Ratings  ·  743 Reviews
Diese Romanbiographie des Phantoms, phantasievoll erzählt, aber historisch genau recherchiert, enthüllt zum ersten Mal das ganze Leben des unglücklichen Erik, von seiner Geburt bis zu seinem spektakulären Tod. Von der Natur entstellt, aber mit einer betörenden Stimme und einem genialen Verstand ausgestattet, wird er zum bedeutenden Magier. In der ganzen Welt erlebt er die ...more
Published November 11th 2009 by Fischer (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Das Phantom, please sign up.

Tim Mckenny
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Dominique It is an author's interpretation of Erik, the Phantom of the Opera's, life story starting from his birth. If you are familiar with the Phantom of the…moreIt is an author's interpretation of Erik, the Phantom of the Opera's, life story starting from his birth. If you are familiar with the Phantom of the Opera book written by Gaston Leroux then you should be able to understand/enjoy the book. (less)

Echo
Sep 30, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Phans and only phans
Shelves: romance, duds
If Kay had stopped where The Phantom of the Opera book and musical started, she would have had a decent book on her hands. Despite turning Erik, the Phantom, into a terrible Gary Stu, she did give him an interesting and detailed history. In fact, if you stop reading the book before Christine comes in, I'd imagine it's pretty enjoyable. However, I kept reading, and there's my problem.

(Possible SPOILERS)

Once Christine and Raoul entered the story, I moved from wariness, to shock, to disbelief, to t
Ahmad Sharabiani
Fantom, de L'Opera = Phantom of the Opera, Susan Kay
Phantom is a 1990 novel by Susan Kay, based on the Gaston Leroux novel The Phantom of the Opera. It is a biography of the title character, Erik.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: بیست و سوم ماه اکتبر سال 1999 میلادی
توضیح: «شبح اپرا» اثر: گاستون لورو؛ میباشد که با ترجمه: مرتضی آجودانی، نشر کتابهای جیبی در سال 1343 آن را منتشر کرده، این اثر ملهم از آن اثر است
عنوان: شبح اپرای پاریس؛ نویسنده: سوزان کی؛ مترجم: ملیحه محمدی؛ تهران، نشر چشمه، 1377؛ در 499 ص؛ شابک: 9
Karin
Aug 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I cannot say enough about this book. If you were captivated by any version of The Phantom of the Opera and loved the characters - especially Erik - you need to read this book. It was the first book to ever make me cry. Kay was so imaginative when she wrote the character of Erik and I thought she wrote him beautifully. I loved finally getting to explore his mind and the reasons why he was the way he was, and enjoyed reading of his supposed travels and finding out how he gained all of his kno ...more
Anne
Feb 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults
Recommended to Anne by: Phantom Phans

Well, I finally read Susan Kay's "Phantom." Before I wrote my own book, I had read nothing but the original Leroux book as I did not want to be influenced by any other writer.
I must admit that this book is heartwrenching, sad, but beautifully crafted. I was continually amazed at the ability of the author to see into each character in the book and put it to paper.
Erik, of course, broke my heart. I was sick after the first chapter when I saw how his mother treated him. It was a miracle that he wa
Karla
This book pretty much killed my future enjoyment of published "fanfiction" (like all the Jane Austen stuff and whatnot). Not because it was bad, but because it was so good. Kay didn't give the feel that she was a silly fan playing around in her idol's sandbox, like what is the case with so many who write books based on another's creation. This book was an agonizing read, and the Erik here is a brilliantly rendered character. His journey from the depths to heights of humanity yanked me through th ...more
Karly *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)*
Buddy-read with the amazing Hufflepuff Kitten commencing (finally! Thank you for your patience, my dear ♥ ) June 22nd!

Brittain *The Baddest Female*

Phantom by Susan Kay has been a favorite of mine for a really long time. I first got hooked on Phantom of the Opera stuff in high school. I watched the movie with Gerard Butler, I read the original novel by Gaston Leroux and I found this book. Then, in college among moving stuff from dorm to home and back again, I lost my copy of it! It's probably still floating around somewhere but I bought a new copy and I'm so thrilled that I was able to read it again.

Phantom really delves into the mind of th
Eve
Feb 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mind has touched the farthest horizons of mortal imagination and reaches ever outward to embrace infinity. There is no knowledge beyond my comprehension, no art or skill upon this entire planet that lies beyond the mastery of my hand. And yet, like Faust, I look in vain. I learn in vain...For as long as I live, no woman will ever look on me in love....

My kingdom lies in eternal darkness, many feet below the level of the Parisian streets outside, shrouded in the chill silence of the grave. Dar
Meelazou
Sep 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody who likes to read
Shelves: favourites
First I have to say, I never really was interested in the Phantom of the Opera. I'm still not inclined to see this musical anytime soon.
But the book is different. The author uses beautiful language that describes the emotions of the characters so well that you really emphasize with them. Especially the main character Erik, who was born with a mutilated face and has to wear a mask constantly to hide it.
The book is divided in several parts with different point of views. The first part is written f
Hannah
  • Chanson de L'Ange
  • The Phantom Of Valletta
  • Night Magic
  • The Complete Phantom of the Opera
  • Unmasqued: An Erotic Novel of The Phantom of The Opera (Seducing the Classics, #1)
  • The Phantom of the Opera Companion (Reduced Format Companion)
  • The Phantom Diaries (The Phantom Diaries, #1)
  • In The Eye of The Beholder:  A Novel of The Phantom of the Opera
  • Beauty
  • Phantom Phantasia: Poetry for the Phantom of the Opera Phan
  • The Prince of Eden (Eden, #2)
  • Jane
  • H. The Story of Heathcliff's Journey Back to Wuthering Heights
  • The Jumbee
Susan Kay (b. 1953) is a writer.

She is most known for her book, Phantom, which expands upon the history of Erik, the character from Gaston Leroux's The Phantom of the Opera, in an episodic format of seven chapters from different characters' points of view.

Susan Kay did not travel to Iran to research the novel, although she did research in person at the Paris Opera House.

Her first novel was Legacy,
More about Susan Kay...
“None of us can choose where we shall love...” 324 likes
“My mind has touched the farthest horizons of mortal imagination and reaches ever outward to embrace infinity. There is no knowledge beyond my comprehension, no art or skill upon this entire planet that lies beyond the mastery of my hand. And yet, like Faust, I look in vain, I learn in vain. . . . For as long as I live, no woman will ever look on me in love.” 44 likes