Start by marking “All That's True” as Want to Read:
All That's True

All That's True

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  245 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews

"My life was close to being perfect until my brother Alex got killed. Then my mother started drinking and my father started having sex with Donna, my best friend's stepmother. She's not even thirty years old."

With an equal mix of joy and sorrow, All That's True follows Andi's poignant-and sometimes laugh out loud-journey to young adulthood, where she struggles with the

Published January 1st 2011 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published November 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about All That's True, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All That's True

Hristina
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
A relatable story told by a beautiful voice that slowly matures throughout the pages of this book. I love it.
BecksBookPicks
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was almost like sitting with the main character, Andi as she struggled with life. Andi starts out so innocent in this book, and while still innocent at the end, the layers are being pulled down as she discovers more and more of what life can bring. She starts out the book two months after her older brother Alex passed away. You watch through her eyes how her parents deal with this; her mother turning to alcohol and here father is having an affair. The book goes on as you learn more ab ...more
Andi
Mar 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really like Miles' writing. This wasn't my favorite book of hers so far, but I enjoyed this complicated coming of age story.
Pamela
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A priviliged 12 year old girl in Atlanta deals with the death of her brother, her father's infidelity and her mother's alcoholism. Sounds dreary, but it is an upbeat story that talks about different ways that people love each other and are redeemed. I enjoyed the voice of Andi St. James, the protagonist, who tells a believable and hopeful tale.
Barb
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Andi's life was perfect until her brother Alex got killed. Then her mom started drinking and her dad started having sex with neighbor Donna, her best friend's stepmother. She's not even thirty years old
Judy Pigella
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Really felt this was a young readers book
Sue
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Sweet little book about Jackie Lee, a young teen who's life is turned upside down when her brother dies. Not too somber and really quite uplifting.
Michelle (Undeniably Book Nerdy)
Andi St. James was the youngest daughter of a wealthy family but her life was far from perfect. Her older brother recently died which was pretty much the catalyst for her mom's drinking problem and her lawyer father was having an affair with her best friend's much younger stepmother. Add to that Andi's latest boy problems, an older sister in bridezilla mode planning her wedding and her best friend who has problems of her own. Andi was often left on her own to figure things out.

The story was set
Anita
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
Summary
Andi is a privileged teenager. He lives in a rich neighborhood, can pretty much stay on top of the fashion world and any activity is within her reach. However, life isn't dealing her an easy hand. Her brother, Alex, recently died. Her and her best friend, Bridget, have discovered that her dad and Bridget's step-mother are having an affair. Her mother is an alcoholic and constantly dancing on the edge. Couple all of that with the fact that she's a typical young teenager who is just trying
Meagan
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jackie Lee Miles presents us with a powerful narrator in All That's True. The voice and style alone would be enough to pull me through Andi's tale, but Miles also presents us with an interesting look into the life of "the privileged." While it could be argued that some of her family members, the house employees, or her friends appear stereotypical on the outside, it isn't glaringly obvious because they are so real to Andi, and Andi is so real to us. She's also not a stereotypical rich girl with ...more
Michelle
Jan 06, 2011 rated it liked it
All That's True is a novel of fiction by Jackie Lee Miles from SourceBooks Landmark.

Book Blurb:

Andi St. James's privileged Atlanta life is turned upside down after her brother's tragic death. As the relationships around her crumble, Andi embarks on a poignant and sometimes laugh-out-loud jo
Julie Failla Earhart
Feb 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing

“My life was close to being perfect until my brother Alex got killed. Then my mother started drinking and my father started having sex with Donna, my best friend’s stepmother,” says thirteen-year-old Andi St. James in the opening paragraph.

In a dead-on teenage voice, author Miles weaves a coming-of-age story where pubescent angst takes center stage. As Andi reels from Alex’s death in a fraternity hazing accident, she and her best friend, Bridget spend a busy summer, whiling away afternoons in
Courtney
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it

This was a heart-warming, easy read but it is one that I will likely forget about soon. For whatever reason I was expecting it to be a historical fiction (the cover reminded me of The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, which is probably why I picked it up in the first place) but instead it is a contemporary story of a teenaged girl named Andi who struggles to keep up with the profound and sudden changes occurring within her family.

It was so refreshing to have a lovable protagonist
Laura de Leon
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars for me, although part of that is how the book resonated with my experiences at Andi's age. Not the details, but but her emotional responses to her parents divorce and the loss of childhood friends.

The character of Andi was what made the book work. I liked Andi's voice, it was subtle, but clearly that of young teen.

The book was at its most interesting when it explored Andi's relationships-- with her mother, struggling with alcoholism; with her best friend Bridget, who is going through
 Kath
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Told from the perspective of a young girl after her brother dies, she tells the story of how her family changed, how life changed and it was heartbreaking but uplifting at the same time. To read the story was like sitting down with this young girl , her chatting on about moments as they happened - as teens do, the conversation would flow into whatever happened to be on her mind in that particular moment. The ending kind of left me disappointed as it felt like it wasn't ready to end as nothing si ...more
Farrah
Feb 07, 2011 rated it liked it
A great coming of age story of a 13 year old girl going through many life changing events within a short time span. Jackie Lee Miles did an excellent job in writing All That's True and capturing the main character's (Andi) emotions as she deals with all that life's put in front of her from the death of her brother, her mom's drinking problem, her father's affair, issues with friends, being in love, and her brother's pregnant girlfriend. A reader can easily feel as if they are there with the char ...more
Lauren
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Cute, coming of age story about a tween going through a lot of drastic changes in her life. Andi, the main character is very likable and manages to stay true to herself through death, changes in friendship & her family's many issues. Andi narrates the entire story which gets a little annoying after a while because it actually seems like a 13yr old was the author. I understand that's what the author was hoping to achieve, but I found it slightly irritating.
Jovita
Jan 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
I did enjoy Jackie Miles’ book, Roseflower Creek, that I wanted to read this book and once again I wasn't disappointed. All That's True is another beautifully written novel, this time about a young girl coming into her own throughout the midst of tragedy, family drama, and teen issues. The author does an excellent job capturing the strength of an adolescent and I would recommend All That’s True to anyone who enjoys coming of age novels.
Debbie
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An intriguing, coming-of-age story. I loved the main character, Andi, and I rooted for her!
Life was confusing and messy and how she handled it, from a 12-13 year olds perspective, rang true. I could not predict the journey or its outcome--and isn't that how life is? This book compelled me to search out more books by J.L. Miles/Jackie Lee Miles (Earlier books were signed J.L.).
Robyn
Aug 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
Not that it was a bad book, but I did give up on it because it read too much like a YA novel to me. And I realized the more I read it, the more I really didn't care about any of the characters or what happened to them. Someone else may enjoy it, it's not like the writing is bad, it just didn't interest me.
Feb 17, 2011 rated it liked it
3.5/5

From my book review blog Rundpinne...."Miles does an exceptional job capturing the spirit of an adolescent and I would recommend All That’s True to readers who enjoy coming of age novels."....The full review may be read here.
Ann Miller
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
All That's True is a coming of age novel with a plucky heroine who overcomes the bad choices made by every person she loves--with humor and determination. Somehow, Andi grows up untainted by the crazy whirling around her. The people in Andi's life would have been better off if they'd taken a lesson in living from her. And just maybe they did by the end of the story. Well worth reading.
Deb
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, and I loved the main character, Andi. Andi's such a sweet girl - very innocent, yet also a normal tween/teen. She made me laugh, she made me cry. I read the library e-pub version but I may pick up a copy for my bookcase.
Missy
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Big disappointment! I LOVED Roseflower Creek...but this story jumped around a lot. It was difficult for me to stay focused on the characters and what was actually going on. I did not actually finish this book....I gave up almost halfway through.
Karla
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I felt a little bit like things were pretty over the top as far as what all can go wrong in a young girl's life, but the take-away message was great. We have to choose to be happy and make the best of the situations we experience...good or bad :)
Aubrie
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
It was an easy read, but not super interesting. I sort of felt like I was just getting a glimpse of the main character's life without any major growth or "A'ha!" moments. The story came out vanilla for me.
Katie
Jun 14, 2011 rated it liked it
A nice story involving a "tween" and her point of view of things that happen in her life. I laughed a lot, and felt bad for the main character when things went poorly for her. It was a quick easy read.
Lynn
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked this book but didn't love it - I think I expected a little "more" after reading many positive reviews. It was a coming of age story I may have liked more when I was at that age!
I'm counting it as a "book by an author I've never read before" for the 2016 library challenge.
Debbie
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Sara Smith
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a YA book, but it kept my attention. It rang true as to thoughts a tween/teen girl would have.
  • The Harbour
  • The Sickness
  • Pig's Foot
  • Moonface: A True Romance
  • My Cleaner
  • Murder Most Persuasive (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery, #3)
  • Every Tongue Got to Confess: Negro Folk-tales from the Gulf States
  • The Tapestry of Love
  • The Absolute Value of -1
  • In the Shadow of the Cypress
  • The Emperor's Babe
  • Formula for Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #3)
  • If Sons, Then Heirs
  • The Thousand
Jackie Lee Miles, a resident of Georgia for thirty years, hails from Wisconsin via South Dakota. She considers herself “a northern girl with a southern heart”. Her paternal grandfather was christened Grant Lee by her great-grandmother in honor of the many fallen soldiers on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line.

Ms. Miles is a former D.I.A.L. Systems Engineer for Baker/Audio Telecom, one of the premi
More about Jackie Lee Miles

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This