Start by marking “A Symphony in the Brain: The Evolution of the New Brain Wave Biofeedback” as Want to Read:
A Symphony in the Brain: The Evolution of the New Brain Wave Biofeedback

A Symphony in the Brain: The Evolution of the New Brain Wave Biofeedback

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  220 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Imagine a procedure versatile enough to treat epilepsy, autism, attention deficit disorder, addictions, and depression with no drugs or side effects; to bring patients out of vegetative states; and to improve everything from golf scores to opera singers' voices. These are only some of the claims made for neurofeedback, a controversial but effective treatment that is revolu ...more
Published May 31st 2001 by Grove Press (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about A Symphony in the Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Symphony in the Brain

Mary Ann
Jul 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Good information. Journalist author explains history of biofeedback and neurofeedback. Good explanation of the politics of this innovative technology shown to work for so many intractable problems including epilepsy, addictions, ADHD, sleep disorders, eating disorders, sports and business performance, and so on. It hasn't caught on as well as it should have because the medical establishment has discredited it and yanked research funding. Yet if 80% of illness is caused by stress, and you can use ...more
Plebeian
Jan 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was actually handed a copy of A Symphony in the Brain yesterday by a Neurofeedback technichian that I have been consulting with.

The Author provides a history of Biofeedback and Neurofeedback as it has been studied both inside and outside of mainstream science. I am currently receiving neurofeedback treatment, and started my first training yesterday.

Much of the skepticism I and others have about Neurofeedback is addressed in the book. If anyone is suffering from anxiety disorders, bi polar di
Keith Swenson
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Do you want to know about neurofeedback? Where it came from? Is it s a fad? Or is it medical science? Jim Robbins gives us the story of brainwave biofeedback from the early pioneers in the 1970's to the blossoming in the 1990's. It is written in the style of an in-depth journalist: interviews and history of the key players, how the stories unfold, and how these players interacted. The book gives a good, not-too-technical understanding of how the techniques are performed.

The stories are rather am
Keith Akers
Aug 09, 2013 rated it liked it
This book starts strong but ends weakly. It is really about neurofeedback, not biofeedback, so the explanatory subtitle is actually quite misleading. But it's a good book overall. Even its weakness is helpful, in a way; it is weak because it tries to cover everything and everybody connected with neurofeedback. Robbins does this in a chronological way, even though this means splattering various personalities and scientific ideas across the intellectual canvas which appear, disappear, and then rea ...more
Sam  Bronstein
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great history of the evolution of biofeedback. Well written describing both the good and bad of the system. Hopefully it has evolved in the past 17 years since the book was published.
Jessie
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health, own, parenting
I was very fasinated by the history of neurofeedback. This book was well written. It contains a lot of history and research examples. It was laid out in an easy way to understand and follow. I have already recommended it to those whom are interested in learning more about this hidden alternative treatment for self-improvement. We have seen it work in our child and hope to observe more positive changes.
Julie
Jun 10, 2011 rated it liked it
As someone who suffers from migraine and cluster headaches, I know that the pain associated with them can sometimes be eased by slowing down my thoughts or clearing out my brain, so to speak. I've talked with people who, even standing still, give off an energy of racing like a rat in a wheel. So when a friend lent this book to me, I was intrigued. In the past, I looked into biofeedback, when I just could not find any relief from my headaches and they were impeding my ability to function from day ...more
Jen Cordin
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book gives a well-researched history of neurofeedback and how it has developed as a niche business industry for a very small group of therapists and wellness professionals. Most chapters start with a case study of a person who has been helped by neurofeedback, typically "after traditional medicine failed to improve his/her condition." As the author states, clinicians are far more likely to brag about their outstanding results rather than those cases where treatment was ineffective, but the ...more
Kelly N. S.
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very informative read about the incredible strides taking place in the world of brain connectivity and healing that is happening with neorofeedback.. Pioneering work is being done in this arena that could vastly alter, for the better, the lives of many affected by addiction, head trauma (both injury and stroke) learning disabilities and beyond. It was updated in 2008, but the science is growing so fast, I want something even more current. Good read for a basic understanding of the neurofeedbac ...more
Julie
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology-books
Biofeedback is an exceptional kind of neuroplasticity on which people with disabilities our mental issues can change their brains by practicing keeping their brains in certain theta wave hzs. This book is thorough and makes a strong case for the incredible science of biofeedback as a viable and strong healing technique.
Breena
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy reading about anything to do with the brain. Did you know that we have the technology to acturally retrain weak or non-existant brain waves? We can actually strengthen the mind to overcome some depression and other disorders that are primarily take place in the neurons. So facinating!
Amy
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that I recommend to all clients and interested parties in neurofeedback. It's an engaging read, that helps explain all the history, practitioners, types of practice, benefits and criticisms of this form of therapy.
Dedrick
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
I really enjoyed the very detailed and in depth exploration of how neurofeedback has been developing. I feel like some facts are arranged to augment the story rather than simply deliver information. However, there is a lot to cover, and I found the writing to be engaging.
Carroll Straus
Jul 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book
Yitka
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps the most fascinating book I've read in years. Thank you, Jim Robbins!
Marsha
Feb 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone with brain disorders
This is a fascinating book about Neuro-biofeedback. I learned a great deal about the brain and a relatively new way to change the brain.
Gina
Jul 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good easy to read overview, but more helpful for a lay audience.
TJ
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good, helpful and interesting
Collette
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
A well written history of Neurofeedback and its place along with bio-feedback of other types for helping our bodies to heal themselves.
Robert Emmett
Valerie Sega;
Feb 07, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Open-Focus Brain: Harnessing the Power of Attention to Heal Mind and Body
  • Theoretical Neuroscience: Computational and Mathematical Modeling of Neural Systems
  • John Rosemond's New Parent Power!
  • Muses, Madmen, and Prophets: Rethinking the History, Science, and Meaning of Auditory Hallucination
  • The Polyvagal Theory: Neurophysiological Foundations of Emotions, Attachment, Communication, and Self-regulation
  • Easy to Love but Hard to Raise: Real Parents, Challenging Kids, True Stories
  • Altered States of Consciousness: A Book of Readings
  • What to Expect: The Second Year: For the 13th to 24th Month, this Step-by-Step Guide Explains Everything You Need to Know About Your Toddler (What to Expect)
  • Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults: ADHD, Bipolar, OCD, Asperger's, Depression, and Other Disorders
  • A Universe of Consciousness: How Matter Becomes Imagination
  • The Epidemic: The Rot of American Culture, Absentee and Permissive Parenting, and the Resultant Plague of Joyless, Selfish Children
  • The Language and Thought of the Child

• Lincoln's Last Trial: The Murder Case That Propelled Him to the Presidency
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Me Talk Pretty One Day
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Confidence Code for Girls: Taking Risks, Messing Up, and Becoming Your Amazingly Imperfect, Totally Powerful Self
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Jackie, Janet & Lee: The Secret Lives of Janet Auchincloss and Her Daughters, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Lee Radziwill
  • Just the Funny Parts: My 30 Years on the Hollywood Jungle Gym
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
    $8.99 $2.49
  • The Millionaire Fastlane
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall
    $11.99 $1.99