Start by marking “Flight of the Old Dog (Patrick McLanahan, #1)” as Want to Read:
Flight of the Old Dog (Patrick McLanahan, #1)

Flight of the Old Dog

(Patrick McLanahan #1)

Flight of the Old Dog is the runaway bestseller that launched the phenomenal career of Dale Brown. It is the riveting story of America's race for technology, overtaken by our greatest enemy's mastery of "Star Wars." The U.S. arsenal of nuclear missiles has been neutralized. America's only hope: The Old Dog Zero One, a battle-scarred bomber fully renovated with modern hardw ...more
Published August 5th 2003 by Berkley Trade (first published June 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Flight of the Old Dog, please sign up.
Jim A It's not free, but I bought it yesterday off Amazon for .99 cents. Still priced at that price point.

Start your review of Flight of the Old Dog (Patrick McLanahan, #1)
heidi
Sep 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: paper, re-read
It's interesting to me to read books set in the cold war, now that my kids are old enough that I have tried to explain the cold war.

This is a band-of-misfits book with a healthy dose of improbable circumstances, but for all that, it's exactly the kind of book I keep going back to, because it is exactly what it claims to be. It's about men and women working together to accomplish an impossible mission.

Read if: you like can-do, derring-do, and awesome little character moments, like the Soviet base
Lee
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
First book I read by Dale Brown. An incredibly engrossing story. The characters are interesting and identifiable (you truly find yourself caring about them), the narration is first rate (you'll actually feel as if you're in the old B-52), and the pace is breathless.
Jared W.
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book has 416 pages, and it was published by Berkley Books. I decided to read this book because it is heavily based on aircraft, which I appreciate because my father, who was a sergeant in the Air Force, recommended this book to me. This work was a New York Times Bestseller.
The main character of this book is Captain Patrick McLanahan, a B-52 navigator; however, General Elliot of the Dreamland projects can be classified as the other main character. Both men work together on the critical miss
David Williamson
May 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
What happens next to Patrick Mclanahan and his crew? Such a question rarely entered my mind. While this book was filled with copious amounts of tech specs and enough aeronautic jargon to make one feel like you are taking an aerospace engineering course. There is so much that it feels the actual story and characters are muddied down with it. It's always good to give enough information for the reader (especially one unfamiliar with the science) something to go on to understand what’s happening and ...more
murph
Jun 03, 2008 rated it did not like it
The story of a stealth B-52. Yeah. It's exactly that stupid.

What begins as just this author's pet "what if..." scenario just slides off a cliff as the book progresses. Apparently Dale Brown decided that anyone addled enough to accept the books premise would accept anything he threw at them.

Brown throws plenty.

For reasons known only to the author - a government project makes a stealth aircraft out of an airframe designed and built in the 1950's.

Then the entire universe conspires to create a scena
Jim A
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A reread after 30 years or so. Still an exciting air force thriller. As it's been over 30 years since Brown wrote this, some of the technology is dated. But it still makes for a thrilling read.

Recommend to anyone who hasn't read this.
John Boettcher
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I believe I read this book while I was in 7th grade, after I had finished up with everything that Clancy had put out at that point, and was looking for something to fill the void.

Well, Flight Of The Old Dog was it.

Absolutely blew me away. I am pretty sure that I recommended this book through high school to anyone who would listen, and I doubt many did, about how fantastic this book is.

The story was written and still takes place during the cold war, which unfortunately, I am JUST old enough to
Cody Jensen
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Meh.

Purely speculative military fiction makes a pretty interesting novel, if not entirely believable. Characters were cookie cutters, and the ending line made me want to vomit. Actually the ending line made me knock off one star.

You cannot end a book on a happy romantic note between two characters that only showed mild interest in one another throughout the whole story. Perhaps 40 words were dedicated to their relationship in the whole 300ish pages. Sorry, the ending just kind of ruined it for m
Jason
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this book as a kid, most of my mates would be reading sciFi or Fantasy books but I would always look for something else. Stumbled across this book one day and it was a quick read. An old recondition bomber, an awesome crew and a mission from hell. The plot keeps you tense all the way to the end, throughout the story I was constantly blown away that the bomber and crew kept taking a beating and yet were still going. A good fun adventure, might have to re-read one day.
Matt
May 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Summary: Interesting adventure story in the same vein as James Bond or Jack Ryan. Set in the Cold War with Star Wars military programs and a healthy dose of science fiction. Good story from first time author Dale Brown. Overall it's a good book, but probably a step below the many works of Clancy.

Background: One of the first computer games I bought as a kid was Megafortress. After playing through the tutorials and simple missions I attempted to play "Flight of the Old Dog". After my bomber was in
Karen Siddall
Jul 25, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-cds
I read this book relatively soon after it was originally published and LOVED it. I kept my copy of the book all these years but rather than just pull that copy out of the box it is in I purchased this audiobook copy so I could listen to it on an upcoming car trip. I was so disappointed when I received it to discover it was an abridgement of the original. But it was what I had and I was leaving the next day so on we went.

I hated it. Loved the reader and will look for more performances by him. Bu
James D.
Feb 12, 2020 rated it liked it
I did enjoy this book, fundamentally. I read a later book of Brown's first, years ago, and I was drawn to the content. He has a very specific perspective, which is highly educated on the subject matter, so his books are very detailed. Probably overly so at times, which is my one issue. He gets better with ensuing publications by not getting so wrapped up in military language, and the proverbial Acronym Hell, with which that whole world lives. Too much breaks up the rhythm of the story at times i ...more
Daniel Bratell
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Always interesting to read slightly old books that try to predict the future. This book is written in the mid 80s and have the story take place some five years later.

In the book the old B 52 bombers are obsolete which makes it spectacular that they are still in active duty 30 years later. In the book one of them is turned into a missile platform for testing purposes. This is the old dog which suddenly finds itself in an active situation.

The genre military thrillers is not abundant with good book
Xsabian Ortiz
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never a dull moment!

It's been a while since I picked up a book by Dale Brown and I dont know why! Flight of the old dog was perfect. Dale's writing keeps you on the edge of your seat and waiting to turn the page. The vivid description and suspenseful dialogue makes his writing stand out from others. I enjoyed the technical descriptions and story telling of combining new age tech with an old but flighty ready aircraft. Must read for sure and on to the next Dale Brown novel for me.
Tom Dinen
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Love Dale Brown books

I’ve always liked the action, lingo and suspense of the Dale Brown books. The only criticism I have is the time line of the two man refueling and the fact that getting up on the wings of a B-52 in the freezing cold with no scissor lift is impossible. So many turns at the end was not only nerve racking, but exhausting as a reader.
Neil
It is funny how you can have a different experience when reading a book at various times in your life. I remember when I first read this book [back when it first came out], I liked some of it but overall I was not impressed with the book. My appreciation and enjoyment of the book has steadily increased with each reading. It was probably a good five to ten years between the first and second time I read it; this is my fourth or fifth time reading it. It moves at a good pace. It does take time to b ...more
Pete
A reasonably good debut effort for this series. The story offers enough drama and the characters are interesting for the most part. Occasionally the author gets carried away with mind numbing techno babble but the reader can easily bypass these parts.
Sean
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military-fiction
Really solid Military fiction book in the vein of Tom Clancy. If your into Aircraft and intrigue its a solid book. It's straight forward and doesn't have a ton of complexity but its an enjoyable read.
M.A. Stern
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn’t a particularly deep book and it is very much a product of the Cold War era. However, overall, as far as ‘airport novels’ in the techno-thriller genre go, it’s a pretty solid book and is a fun, quick read.
Lee
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent... enjoyed this book immensely
Craig Thomas
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The first and Best McClanahan novel
Sándor Szabó
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best part of the McLanhan series, I read it many times, the others not, only the Day of the Cheetah, but it was much more sci-fi like to me.
Michael Skelly
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dale Brown knows how to tell a story! His level of detail puts you right inside the aircraft, when I was done reading, it felt as though my ears were ringing from all the cockpit noise. Great read!
Rob Markley
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-novels
Delving into a new genre and decided it did nothing for me. The story is okay but really it had not point for me
Jack Blackhall
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another series on which I'm up to date.
Euan
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An outstanding debut that had me changed to the book for 48 hours. Wowzer.
Kimberly
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Unlike other military-political novels, the hero of the story was a B-52. Hence "old dog". I enjoyed this book very much. I look forward to reading more of the books in the series.
Dwight
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
stretches the belief in technospeak.
Chris Tschirhart
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good novel and the start of a great series. Somewhat dated now because the cold war is over.
Jerry Anderson
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hate that it makes me type 20 words or more.

All I wanted to do was to give this as many stars as I could. But this thing makes me type 20 or more words.

(It’s a great read.)
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Modified B-52 on Secret Mission [s] 6 28 May 09, 2013 04:13PM

• Flight of the Intruder (Jake Grafton #1)
  • Team Yankee
  • Red Phoenix (Red Phoenix #1)
  • Nimitz Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #1)
  • Final Flight (Jake Grafton #3)
  • Op-Center (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #1)
  • Net Force (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #1)
  • Patriot Games (Jack Ryan, #1)
  • Politika (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #1)
  • The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan, #3)
  • Red Storm Rising
  • Cauldron
  • Sword Point (Scott Dixon, #1)
  • The Intruders (Jake Grafton #2)
  • The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1)
  • Fortunes of War
  • The Berets (Brotherhood of War, #5)
  • Under Siege (Jake Grafton #5)
Former U.S. Air Force captain Dale Brown is the superstar author of 25 consecutive New York Times best-selling military-action-aviation adventure novels: FLIGHT OF THE OLD DOG (1987), SILVER TOWER (1988), DAY OF THE CHEETAH (1989), HAMMERHEADS (1990), SKY MASTERS (1991), NIGHT OF THE HAWK (1992), CHAINS OF COMMAND (1993), STORMING HEAVEN (1994), SHADOWS OF STEEL (1996) and FATAL TERRAIN (1997), TH ...more

Patrick McLanahan (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Night of the Hawk (Patrick McLanahan, #2)
  • Sky Masters (Patrick McLanahan, #3)
  • Day of the Cheetah (Patrick McLanahan, #4)
  • Shadows of Steel (Patrick McLanahan, #5)
  • Fatal Terrain (Patrick McLanahan, #6)
  • The Tin Man (Patrick McLanahan, #7)
  • Battle Born (Patrick McLanahan, #8)
  • Warrior Class (Patrick McLanahan, #9)
  • Wings of Fire (Patrick McLanahan, #10)
  • Air Battle Force (Patrick McLanahan, #11)

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...