Start by marking “Tortall and Other Lands: A Collection of Tales” as Want to Read:
Tortall and Other Lands: A Collection of Tales

Tortall and Other Lands: A Collection of Tales (Tortall)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  13,606 Ratings  ·  602 Reviews
Collected here for the first time are all of the tales from the land of Tortall, featuring both previously unknown characters as well as old friends. Filling some gaps of time and interest, these stories, some of which have been published before, will lead Tammy's fans, and new readers into one of the most intricately constructed worlds of modern fantasy.

The Dragon's Tale
D
Published February 22nd 2011 by Random House (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Tortall and Other Lands, please sign up.
Iris No, none of the stories are about Emelan. There's about half a dozen about Tortall, three or four about other fantasy worlds, and one with a…moreNo, none of the stories are about Emelan. There's about half a dozen about Tortall, three or four about other fantasy worlds, and one with a contemporary setting.(less)
Mara Wynne The idea of Hive Minds is quite common among fantasy and Sci Fi authors. I can think of dozens of examples the troupe. So no, I doubt the darkings are…moreThe idea of Hive Minds is quite common among fantasy and Sci Fi authors. I can think of dozens of examples the troupe. So no, I doubt the darkings are meant to be a homage to any one particular author. (less)
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareDead Reckoning by Charlaine HarrisSilence by Becca Fitzpatrick
Can't Wait Books For 2011
1,220 books — 6,872 voters
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickPassion by Lauren Kate
YA Novels of 2011
1,155 books — 7,119 voters

More lists with this book...

Timothy
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So what's the protocol if you're reviewing a book, and you're married to the writer? Should I not review or rate at all since, well, I'm not about to give any of Tammy's book less than five stars, am I? I do live with her, after all - and I have to sleep sometime .... :o :o :o

EDITED TO ADD: Seriously, is it okay for me to review a book Tammy's written or not?
Sophie
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tamora Pierce fans
If you're new to Tortall, this book contains huge spoilers for the Immortals series and the Trickster duology, so you probably want to read those first. Tortall veterans, though, should love this book. It continues the stories of some familiar characters and creatures, and introduces others for the first time. I'm going to review each story on its own.

Student of Ostriches: Tammy takes a character who was mentioned ONCE in Lioness Rampant and gives her a complete and awesome backstory. I won't sp
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This is a book I would have loved as a girl growing up. I have this feeling I would have eagerly read every book by this author I could have gotten my hands on. As an adult, my feelings aren't that different. She understands the magic and awe inherent in fantasy. I'll definitely be reading more by Tamora Pierce.

Reviewed for Bitten by Books. http://bittenbybooks.com.
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
This was just a great compilation of stories. I have never read any of her other books, so this was a great primer, in my opinion. I can't wait to read more of her stories.

She has such great female characters, imo.
Arielle Walker
Though I absolutely adore Tamora Pierce, and her Lioness books (actually, all her books) defined my childhood, I was less thrilled with this short story collection. I enjoyed it, yes. Newcomers to her work would not do well to start here, as most of the stories require knowledge of not only her worlds but also the characters, and characters stories, in order to really appreciate these tales.

For example, one of my favourites in the collection is from the point of view of Kitten, Daine's dragon.
S.N. Arly
This is a nice collection of short stories; Pierce knows her trade and her audience.

Six of the twelve tales occur in the Tortall world Pierce is so well known for. These give further voice to some of the side characters whose point of views haven't previously made it onto the page. The other stories are not placed in one of Pierce's standard worlds, and one isn't speculative fiction, though it's still a good read. "Huntress", a contemporary urban fantasy tale is something of a stand-out in the c
Sakina (aforestofbooks)
While I did enjoy some of the stories, I honestly think this book isn't necessary to read at all. Barely any of the characters that we've been introduced to were actually the main focus of the short stories. And the ones that were, well...they were okay. Nawat's story was just weird and kind of worrying...like I'm seriously concerned for Aly and Nawat's relationship in the future. And the one about Kitten was nice, but confusing cause it was hard to picture. I found the second and third short st ...more
Joan
I'm not really a fan of short stories. However, Pierce can turn out good short stories as well as longer fiction. As usual with a collection, some resonate more than others. "Mimic" was definitely a favorite. "Testing" also attracted me, although the two stories are completely different. The stories from the Lioness world were of course, fun to read. Lost was another that resonated with me, and perhaps shows Pierce's feminism the most obviously. I deliberately did not read the introduction to th ...more
Colleen
Aug 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
An interesting point -- Pierce's feminist POV really pops from the pages in these shorter stories. Most of all in a pair in which she is grappling with a fantasy-version of Islamic culture. But knowing her agenda hardly hurts the narrative, or her ulterior cause. I like the way her back-to-back protagonists played off each other. In fact, that was an aspect of this collection I was surprised to like. I *knew* I would enjoy stories like "Nawat," which explores the post-happily-ever-after for the ...more
Christey Foster
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Evan
Apr 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, youngadult
Here's what Tamora Pierce does well: Girl-power YA fantasy (with significant improvement in quality the more she writes). Also, she's pretty good with animals--you can tell she's lived with dogs & cats and really gets them.

Here's what these short stories are: Girl-power YA fantasy, occasionally with animals thrown in. This is a win.

I'm not usually a fan of short stories; I find them distracting, poorly fleshed out, & not rich enough to leave any scope for the imagination. I was pleased t
Chelsea Haller
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tamora Pierce has been entertaining teens for years, especially those who are female. Most of her books have avery strong feminine main character who struggles through the world of men to show that they are just as good as any male. Tortall and Other Lands : A Collection of Tales, doesn't focus on any particular character as it plays with many different characters in its many short stories. Many of the main characters are still female, but that is not the purpose of these stories, these stories ...more
Eva Mitnick
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Half of these 11 stories take place in or near Tortall, the kingdom that fans of Pierce have come to know well, but four of them are non-Tortall fantasies and one of them is not a fantasy at all.

Strange to say, but though I have read both Beka Cooper books, all four of the Protector of the Small quartet, the Circle of Magic quartet, AND the Circle Opens quartet, I have never read either the Immortals or Song of the Lioness quartets. Weird, huh?

However, it does put me in a good position to tell
Minli
Oct 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Guys, this is Tamora Pierce. Tammy Pierce could write a blender manual and I would read it and love it.

Tortall and Other Lands is what it says--a collection of tales, though more emphasis on the "Other Lands" than the Tortall. Say what you like about Tammy Pierce's worldbuilding, I think she does a good thing by incorporating non-European medieval culture into her own fictional countries. The majority of stories take place outside of Tortall--whether that's the Copper Isles (really, Indonesia),
Sharon Tyler
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Tortall and Other Lands: A Collection of Tales is a selection of ten short stories from Tamora Pierce. This young adult collection puts Pierce's ability to draw the reader into the lives of her characters on display perfectly. Pierce consistently writes compelling tales for children and young adults that make the readers really care about the characters and the bigger picture of the world that they live in. While eight of the stories in this book are fantasy, taking place in Tortall and surround ...more
Xan West
Mar 05, 2011 rated it liked it
So, this collection was mixed for me.

The contemporary tales didn't work for me. I needed more from them, more characterization, more complexity.

I had a real hard time with the tales that were clearly a critique of veils; this issue is really complex and it is troubling to take it on so simplistically from a western point of view. I had a similar issue with "Time of Proving".

I enjoyed the story "The Dragon's Tale" very much, and loved the way it took me back to characters I have great affection f
Gwendolyn
Mar 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Tortall and Other Lands: A Collection of Tales is just that.

Old friends and new; short stories that have appeared in other anthologies, as well as new stories appearing for the first time in print.

As the title of the collection implies, not all of the stories take place in Tortall, nor are all of the characters you will meet within these pages familiar ones for readers of her novels.

What is unusual in this collection is that unlike most anthologies, the stories come first. The authors comments
Claire
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Iben
I really liked the short tales but thought the final two, set in our own world, was very out of place.
Kogiopsis
Feb 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm so incredibly biased towards Tamora Pierce's work in general - and her Tortall books in particular - that I almost feel like writing this review is disingenuous. I am not the world's most reliable source here, especially because one of the stories contained both a) dragons and b) Numair Salmalin.

I mean, come on. There's really no question of how I'm gonna react to that.

SO, instead of a coherent whole-book review, I'm just going to run through the stories quickly and jot down my thoughts.

1. S
Kait
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-prose
A great collection of stories from one of my long time favorite authors. I particularly enjoyed the story of Nawat learning how to raise human children and the autobiographical story from Tamora Pierce at the end.
Nan
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not all novelists can write short stories. Tamora Pierce can.
ohlizno
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any Tammy fan should read this book. It's an amazing mix of nostalgia with old friends and exciting new settings.
Allison
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Allison Freeman

APA Citation:

Pierce, T. (2011). Tortall and other lands: A collection of tales. New York: Random House.

Genre: Short Story

Format: Print

Selection Process:

Baker, D. F. (2012). Tortall and other lands: A collection of tales. Horn Book Magazine, 87(2), 122-123.

Review:

Many of the stories in this collection have been published in other works but Tamora Pierce includes eight previously published tales and three written specifically for this collection.

Kylaia is the narrator of the first
Amanda
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Tortall and Other Lands is a collection of short stories by the wonderful and inspiring Tamora Pierce. It features stories with new characters and many with our favorite old characters. Most of the stories are set in the Tortall universe, a place all Pierce fans know very well, but there are also 5 stories not set in Tortall, they take place in a variety of other locations (some real and some fantasy).

Since there was such a fantastic mixture of stories I wrote a separate review for each one.

Stu
Cyn Mcdonald
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Short stories are like potato chips, or cats. Instead of savoring these one at a time, I read the entire book in two days. Only six of the tales are set in Tortall, but all the stories are good.
K. O'Bibliophile
Sep 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans, Tamora Pierce fans.
Shelves: fantasy
Tamora Pierce is best-known for her YA fantasy novels set in the land of Tortall, and all but two of these stories (the other two being modern-day tales) take place there. Fans of hers will devour this in a snap, but you don't have to be familiar with her work to enjoy them.

For this review, though, we're operating on the assumption you're familiar with Pierce's work. The majority of the stories are, for the reader, going to be great fun--the backstory (or side story) that you didn't you you want
moviebunny
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
From my blog: (\__/)nymfaux

...

I just about inhaled the stories all at once—but with the short story format it’s easy to read a few stories, and then pick it up again later on if you need to.

Eleven stories are included, in all—And as for picking a favorite—I won’t even try.—Ok, I tried, but I totally can’t, so here are all the things I love:

I LOVE Kylaia, in Student of Ostriches, learning different fighting and defense techniques by watching how different animals interact, while she’s tending her
Natalie
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains a variety of stories ranging from the fantasy world of Tortall to modern day America.
Student of Ostriches introduces you to Kylaia, a character briefly referenced in the Song of the Lioness quartet. This story was about strength, courage, and observation. I liked the Africa feel of it as well as the story.
Elder Brother was one of my favorites in this collection. After reading Wolfspeaker (Book 2 in the Immortals quartet), I really wanted to know what happened to the poor tree
June
  • Half-Human
  • Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Book of Enchantments
  • Tortall: A Spy's Guide
  • Fire (Tales of Elemental Spirits, #2)
  • To Visit the Queen (Cats of Grand Central, #2)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1 (Chrestomanci, #1-2)
  • Page (Tamora Pierce Novel)
  • Fall of a Kingdom (The Farsala Trilogy, #1)
  • Intrigues (Valdemar: Collegium Chronicles, #2)
  • The Tenth Power (The Chanters of Tremaris, #3)
  • To Hold the Bridge
  • A Stranger to Command
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro
More about Tamora Pierce

Tortall (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Alanna: The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, #1)
  • In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness, #2)
  • The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness, #3)
  • Lioness Rampant (Song of the Lioness, #4)
  • Wild Magic (Immortals, #1)
  • Wolf-Speaker (Immortals, #2)
  • Emperor Mage (Immortals, #3)
  • The Realms of the Gods (Immortals, #4)
  • First Test (Protector of the Small, #1)
  • Page (Protector of the Small, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Without reading, we are all without light in the dark, without fire in the cold.” 56 likes
“People are jackals, always willing to feed off someone else's kill.” 2 likes