Start by marking “Magical Housekeeping: Simple Charms & Practical Tips for Creating a Harmonious Home” as Want to Read:

Let your home nourish your soul and uplift your spirits. Swirl magical botanicals into your cleaning supplies, call fairies into your garden, ask a spider for advice. Clear clutter for clarity, perform the oatmeal cookie ritual for abundance, or make a sweet dreams charm for a good night's sleep.

In this delightful book, intuitive counselor Tess Whitehurst reveals how your
Published June 8th 2010 by Llewellyn Publications

To ask other readers questions about Magical Housekeeping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magical Housekeeping

Robert Dulaney
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not very magical or very spiritual. Honestly, I felt really weird about even buying this book, but for some reason it called to me. I really felt like I needed to read it for some reason, as I kept finding it in my path. Unfortunately, my long term relationship had hit a sour note right about the same time that I had found "Magical Housekeeping". I opened the book and read it from cover to digital to cover with an open mind. As I began to employ the techniques within the pages to "fix" what ...more
Bark
Jun 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-age
This book caught my eye in the latest Llewellyn catalog. So far it's only reiterated things I already learned in similar books such as "Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui" and Scott Cunningham's books but the author has an easy to read style and her methods are much more accessible than some of the other magical books out there. For newbies looking to make their home a happier place this is a good starting point and I really enjoyed the fact that she included a recipe from one of my favorite vega ...more
Elizabeth
Aug 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: magic, home

You know how once upon a time it was sufficient to wash your hands with soap and water? Do that, and you could trust that your immune system would fend off everything except the worst germs. Now if your immune system was impaired in some way, you needed to take extra care, but for the most part a basic cleaning routine was all that was needed. But as we've grown more afraid of contagion (H1N1, anyone?), we've begun adding antibacterial agents to hand soap, dish detergent, and other products, all

Steve Cran
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Your outer world is a direct reflection of your inner world. As within so without. So it makes sense that if your house is a mess then so is the rest of your life. If your house is in order ....... Well you know.

Tess Whitehurst who is a practicing magical worker and feng shui specialist tells you how to get your house in order so you can get the rest of your life back in order.

Every thing in here is really simple to perform . No fact wands, athames or any else of that nature . What Tess represen
Nicki
Jan 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
Ohhhhh dear. Well, I picked this book up from the library, while looking for other Witchy books and decided to give it a try. I skimmed this entire book in one evening because it was not helpful or useful enough to give it more time and energy.

I truly don't think there is anything new or groundbreaking in this book. It jumped all over the place in terms of traditions and pantheons. (from Greek to Hindu to Celtic to faeries to saints to angels?!) I think it's messy. The rituals called for some e
Brigitte
Jul 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: witchcraft, reviewed
Honestly, where's the 0 star rating? This book was a woo-woo fake witchcraft book, if you're a real witch/pagan I wouldn't bother picking it up. If you do yoga and say "namaste" and have a buddha statue even though you aren't Buddhist, go for it. It's basically how to appropriate various religions and cultures (while giving them no credit) to be a slightly better housewife or attract "a rich mate." The Native American appropriation is just appalling and unworthy of Llewellyn (of whom I'm a huge ...more
Madge
Kathleen
I'm not really sure why I read this book. I was in the library looking for something else entirely, and saw this on the shelf. It reminded me of another kooky housekeeping book that I picked up years ago when looking for something else. And when I saw this book, I thought to myself, "Another wackadoo housekeeping book!? I should read all of them. How many could there be?" So, I ended up getting this book not because I thought I would agree with what was in it, but because I saw myself as adding ...more
Andrea
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
A cute book about housecleaning, decluttering, and Feng Shui that starts out helpful and dwindles into super-fluff midway through. I'm a HUGE fan of decluttering, cleaning, and using metaphysical help to do so: aromatherapy, crystals, even Reiki and visualization. But while I appreciated the descriptions of gemstones, animal guides, and rituals, I found a lot of the information about them unnecessary. The first half of the book contained some useful mini-rituals (not actually spells, more like b ...more
veganjilly
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book practically glows with the positivity and enthusiasm of the author! Excellent, practical tips on polishing the aura and energy of any dwelling place.
druidessprincess
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, but I didn't find anything much that was new, in terms of info.
Coda Calypso
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
This book is great! It like ALL books like this, are meant to be guidelines. Some of the things may not be meant for you so take what feels right to you. It has great references (symbolism of plants and animals, basic protection for your home {great for people not really sure where to start clearing their space}) that can be used over and over. It is full of things to help keep the energy around you clean. You wash clothes to keep them clean, shouldn't you keep the energy around you clean too? W ...more
Katherine
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
A hodge-podge of various traditions and ideas. This is your average "New Age" eclectic book, combining lots of different religions, cultures, and practices... a bit willy-nilly.

There are some nice recipes for floor washes and such in here, but overall I would recommend readers "Spiritual Housecleaning" instead of this book.
Persephone
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I love this book. It has very practical and down-to-earth tips for anyone who is seeking to create a more comforting and harmonious atmosphere in their home.
Chromium Kitty
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Much of the information in this book is very useful. It's easy to follow and basically anybody can do it, whether you live in a big house or a small apartment. The rituals are simple and to-the-point. The herbally infused and "green" cleaning supplies are relatively simple to create.

I did have some issues with the attitude the author had in some places. She speaks of throwing things away or giving them away to get new things as if EVERYONE can do that so easily. From my perspective, she comes of
Destarte
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed this book, especially the first half. It was informative without going very deep in depth, & had more recipes for rituals & other stuff than I thought it would. I reminded me a LOT of Magical Household by Scott Cunningham & David Harrington, just not as...'craftsy'?? It has many mini post-its saving particular pages for future reference!
Emma
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting book that's given me a new perspective on things especially given that I grew up Catholic. Curious to learn more. A good introduction to the "magical" world.
Gianna
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
It’s like The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up with a SoCal twist and some actual magick. 👍
Eerika
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Housekeeping made fun even for non witch / wiccan / pagan. I don't think I know much about witch lifestyle, but I happened to notice this book on a side bar and I really wanted to read it. I thought that perhaps this book could help me to bring some fun for the housekeeping. And this certainly did it for me!

Many ideas were familiar to me from other sources and this book kind of combined psychology, meditation, visualization, nice smells, beautiful, functional and junk free home and of course env
Gwyn
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
An okay book, but I wouldn't recommend buying it. As the author herself says, you should only keep those books you find yourself opening again and again, and I wouldn't read this again. It has some useful tips and ideas, but Whitehurst's overabundant New-Age cheerfulness and strange hybrid religion constantly grated on my nerves. For example, she talks about angels like they're some kind of cute fluffy animal that will happily drop whatever they're doing to attend to your slightest whim (like cl ...more
Laurali Star
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that change everything for me! I started becoming interested in feng shui and boom! I found this incredibly well written book by Tess Whitehurst called Magical Housekeeping.

This book lays it all out for you on how to declutter your life. Tess covers everything from gemstones meanings and qualities to spiritual helpers that can help you bring more abundance and love into your life.

The thing that is most appealing about this book is the author's down-to-earth approach, intermingle
Gia
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful concept. Love her organized writing style, easy to refer back to. Great timeless tips in here. Reccomend for someone faimliar in house clearing as a reference book, or as a gift to a beginner. But it's not just about house clearing, there is Feng Shui, and mood setting, colors, aromas, sounds, placement.

A few years ago, I came home to what had been a rather horrific death in my home. I couldn't sleep in that room for months, or look in that direction. I could FEEL it all over again. I
Diana Alksne
Jun 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
I was completely shocked when I read this book. Are there really that many gullible idiots in the world that want to sanctify a vacuum cleaner before cleaning? And constant recommendations of Bach flower remedies, when it has been completely proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that there is NO real effect other than placebo.
I was asked to translate this book and I could only turn it down explaining that my people would be soooooo much better off without ever seeing this absolute nonsense. Honest
Alexandra Chauran
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book came across as very preachy and condescending. She sells Rescue Remedy, obscure essential oils and veganism. "I don't even have to tell you to spay and neuter your pets" she chides. Hey, I'm on board with the lifestyle, but even I felt talked down to. A lot of the suggestions were impractical. That said, this book was a good broad overview of ideas. Some things that you wouldn't think about in connection with the household. I found that very useful.
Marlene
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It was more of a reminder of how to cleanse one's life and home than anything else. For new and experienced practitioners this is a good read. It's really a great read for all not just pagans. It had great reminders on thinking positively and being at peace with the universe. Overall, it was a highly enjoyable read. I think I may read it again as much of the book is meant to be practiced rather than just absorbed.
I picked this book up because it has a chapter about "clutter clearing", which is a challenge I regularly face in my house. As I read more, I found myself being reminded of many principles of "living right" that I had forgotten, or had never quite internalized in a way that made sense for me. I finished this book feeling inspired, grounded, and excited to begin putting into practice some of the tips and tricks I read about.
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
Tess Whitehurst writes with a style that is both clear and easy. She seems like a friend that is imparting knowledge and she does it without making the reader feel stupid.

There are some nice tips and tricks even if you are not a practioner of Wicca or the Old Ways; especially on how to get rid of clutter!

I recommend if you are into a organic cleaning, organization and a better external/internal balance. I also recommend if you are a kitchen or herb witch.
Karen
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Some people might be put off by the pagan rituals, but I think that it is more about getting "good vibes" back into your home again. I found it more whimsical than witchy. I checked this book out from the library, but I plan to buy a copy asap. I found myself smiling throughout the book and I am totally motivated to get my house back into order now!
Deanna Lack
I really enjoyed the first few chapters of this book. after that it was a lot of lists of deities, animals, crystals, etc. that, while it was perhaps some useful info, it was much too brief on each subject for there to be much meat to it. A decent little book, and the clutter clearing chapters were very motivating.
Rexanna Ipock-Brown
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was hoping for a magic wand that would leave everything sparkling with a wave. I got a great book with a clutter-clearing checklist and Feng Shui that is a close second. I found many useful ideas for making my home's energy and appearance delightful. I still have to do the work. Wait, maybe if I twitch my nose......

• Bud, Blossom, & Leaf: The Magical Herb Gardener's Handbook
  • Candlemas: Feast of Flames
  • Midsummer: Magical Celebrations of the Summer Solstice
  • Embracing the Moon: A Witch's Guide to Rituals, Spellcraft and Shadow Work
  • The Urban Primitive: Paganism in the Concrete Jungle
  • Witch's Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore
  • Moon Magick: Myth & Magic, Crafts & Recipes, Rituals & Spells
  • Spirit Allies: Meet Your Team from the Other Side
Tess Whitehurst (Boulder, Colorado) is an intuitive counselor, energy worker, feng shui consultant, and speaker. She has appeared on the Bravo TV show Flipping Out and her writing has been featured such places as Writer's Digest, Llewellyn's annuals, and the Whole Life Times blog. She is also the founder and facilitator of The Good Vibe Tribe, an online magical community and learning hub. To learn ...more