Start by marking “Agile Web Development with Rails 3.2” as Want to Read:
Agile Web Development with Rails 3.2

Agile Web Development with Rails 3.2

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  1,687 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews

Ruby on Rails helps you produce high-quality, beautiful-looking web applications quickly. You concentrate on creating the application, and Rails takes care of the details.

Tens of thousands of developers have used this award-winning book to learn Rails. It's a broad, far-reaching tutorial and reference that's recommended by the Rails core team. If you're new to Rails, you'l

Paperback, Fourth, 473 pages
Published April 14th 2011 by Pragmatic Bookshelf (first published July 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Agile Web Development with Rails 3.2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agile Web Development with Rails 3.2

Josh Frankel
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
Not a good book for starting to learn the language. A much better choice is Michael Hartl's book Learn Web Development with Rails
Brent
Jan 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: techie
I read the first 100 pages last night. I'm really starting to like this rails stuff. This is really helping me get a handle on Rails. Good stuff.
Tom Purl
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In general, this book does a fairly good job of helping you create a rails-based application. Part 3 includes some great in-depth information on the topics that are briefly discussed in Part 2.

I only have one real gripe about this book. It packs in lots of topics (e.g. db theory, AJAX, unit testing, security, deployment), but it doesn't really tell you much about them. Therefore, if you have a problem, then good luck figuring it out using the content in the book.

A good example is the final cha
Michael Economy
[Review of Second Edition]

Dave thomas is a pretty good writer, I thought that The Pragmatic Programmer was an excellent book. However, alot of the garbage suggested in AWD makes me doubt how much experience the author has writing scalable, agile, high traffic web-applications.

If you go into this book looking to learn how to code with rails, thats fine, but don't expect to learn to program well for the web from this book. Infact, be prepared to ignore large portions of the book.

Anyway I guess thi
Jevgeni Holodkov
Nov 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rapid
It was one of the books with I read using rapid reading techniques. It means, that my review is going to be biased.

I liked the book - the first part was a hands-on tutorial on building a rails application from stratch. I believe it covered all the most popular issues we have when building web applications. The book includes information on how to do automated testing, like functional and unit testing. However, it expects to enter all commands to the rails console and does not always provide "res
Sam
Jul 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Programmers
If you are interested in getting started with Rails, this is the way to go. I'd recommend you read the first few chapters of Thomas' "Programming Ruby" first, to get a foundation in ruby first.
Mark
Aug 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
I met Dave Thomas at a Ruby on Rails class. He really knows his stuff and I refer to his book at work.
Imtiaz Emu
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
If you’re new to Rails, you’ll get step-by-step guidance. If you’re an experienced developer, this book will give you the comprehensive, insider information you need.
Anton Antonov
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
Buzzwords don't make a great book.

"AWDR4" is a ... mess. The book doesn't have a clear goal of what to teach you. The "Rails is Agile" yada-yada, recital of the Agile manifesto and etc is just a facade. Rails is not an universal fix it all hammer that scales (architecture wise) in any project and size.

I might actually say that Rails as it is now in 2015, is in much trouble and definitely has to push focus on architectural changes and improvements instead of useless features *cough* *cough* Acti
Thomas Wolfe
Sep 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Thomas by: Michael Kory Woods
Shelves: programming, ruby, rails
Suggested by my friend Kory. I read the beta version of this book. Again, in some ways I prefer books with a few errors, keeps me on my toes. I've got a few ideas on what I'm going to build with this new tool, I'll post back here when I do (although now I kind of want to play with jquery since I really know nothing about that library and it could prove useful in rails, or well any type of web apps). It's quite verbose, but I guess for people who want their hand held a bit (I'll admit, hand-holdi ...more
  • Rails Recipes
  • The RSpec Book
  • The Ruby Programming Language
  • The Rails 3 Way
  • Metaprogramming Ruby
  • Design Patterns in Ruby
  • The Well-Grounded Rubyist
  • Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial: Learn Rails by Example (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • The Ruby Way: Solutions and Techniques in Ruby Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • Rails Antipatterns: Best Practice Ruby on Rails Refactoring
  • Programming Clojure
  • Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby
  • Pro Git

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »