Start by marking “Mojave Crossing (Sacketts Book 9)” as Want to Read:
Mojave Crossing (Sacketts Book 9)

Mojave Crossing (The Sacketts #9)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  3,077 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
In Mojave Crossing, Louis L’Amour takes William Tell Sackett on a treacherous passage from the Arizona goldfields to the booming town of Los Angeles.

Tell Sackett was no ladies’ man, but he could spot trouble easily enough. And Dorinda Robiseau was the kind of trouble he wanted to avoid at any time—even more so when he had thirty pounds of gold in his saddlebags and a long
Published (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Mojave Crossing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mojave Crossing

Jacob Proffitt
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
Much, much better than the last couple, though not quite as good as some. This is very much like what little I remember from my youth. Tell has all those Western virtues of integrity, grit, determination, and a willingness to stand up for what's his in the face of overwhelming opposition. We don't see so much of his dry wit from his last book, though, and I missed that.

The story was way stronger in this one than in his other earlier works, as well. Way, way stronger. Not only is it well-paced, b
This one wasn't as good as the others. It took me a while to finish it.
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
The Sackett novels are such fun. L'Amour is wonderful at depicting the southwest: its beauty, its danger, its allure. They do get a little formulaic at times, but L'Amour is such a master it doesn't matter.
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been on a massive Louis L'Amour binge, reading around 30 of his books in a row. I really enjoy them - the simple writing style, the detailed descriptions, the philosophical pondering, the western settings, the old fashioned values, the rich historical detail.

However, there is one aspect that is really starting to annoy me - the depiction of female characters.

Women are either saints or devils, and there is very little in between.

Mostly, the heroines are good and true, from respectable famil
An Odd1
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, mystery, fun
ISBN from 1980 Bantam
A mystery strings along until the very last page. The surprise whammy makes me want to start from the beginning and read all over again. I have already re-read many L'Amour, and not tired yet of real heroes. (view spoiler)

"All the Sacketts, even those no-account Sacketts from Clinch Mountain, run to boy-ch
Becca brown
I personally didn't think this book was well written compared to Louis L'Amour's other novels. Part of it might be because I hadn't read the Sackett series (because i didn't know it was part of the series) but I think that I didn't like it mainly because I didn't enjoy the characters and wasn't really interested in the story. Sure, there was some exciting parts, but over all I thought it was a waist of time. I'd much rather read on of his better books.
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It was a typical Louis L'Amour Sackett read, but I like the detailed descriptions of the scenery in each of his books. I also like how he places his characters in actual places and tells us where they are located today.
This story is a continuation of the Sackett brothers, this one is about William Tell Sackett who manages to get himself involved with a woman who supposedly needs help.
Travis Haselton
Oct 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book. I grew up on a mining property deep in the mojave (Aztec wash to be exact)All of the spring and washes in this book are real and are described very well. I can say that because they essentially where my backyard. The rest of the book is a great example of Louis Lamour's sence of action, Honesty, honor, and historical precision. Great and short read!
Oleta Blaylock
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
About halfway through this book I was beginning to wonder if the list I have for the Sackett books was wrong. There is no way to know if this story should be before Sackett are not. About three quarters through the story there is finally a mention of Ange Karry.

Tell is on his way to Los Angeles to sell some gold and then buy supplies and bring them back to the mining camps in Arizona. He meets a black eyed woman on the Colorado River and she asks him to take her to Los Angeles when the stage she
Barbara Lee Wood
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Loads of history regarding the crossing of the Mojave Desert and the unique names given the "tanks" which held water year round. Per William Tell Sackett those things were most important to know and the locations. Lots of history about California and the Spaniards who owned huge rancheros. There isn't any reference, in this adventure about the Spanish Grants that Spain had issued to Spaniards wishing to settle the areas that now are New Mexico, Arizona and California...very i
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you grew up watching "Have Gun Will Travel" or "The Rifleman" or "The Lone Ranger" or any of a dozen or so John Wayne westerns, you can appreciate the simple pleasure to be found in most of Louis L'Amour's books, especially those featuring the Sacketts (a personal favorite).
What's to say about Mojave Crossing? It's classic L'Amour, classic Western genre, right down to his careful use of actual places and often, even, events from post civil war American.
So, in today's age, these little gems
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It moved right along, with no wordy tangents. The story line was simple and straight forward. Interesting characters and a cute little twist at the end. This is the first Louis L'amour western I've read, and it is in the classic cowboy western groove. I liked it very much and will read more of his works. He was a very prolific writer of well over one hundred books and dozens of short stories. A real story teller in the old tradition of sitting around the campfire and mesmerizing everyone with a ...more
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ended liking it but it took the whole book to do it. Again, weird pacing. Didn't reveal the protagonist until the second third of the book (although it was first person POV), then didn't answer questions that reveal brought up until the last third of the book. But, it ended well, and all the horses lived, so I suppose that's enough.
James Biser
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This is another tale of Tell Sackett. Louis L'Amour knows how to surprise a reader occasionally. One of the main characters of this story ends up being one of the fabled Trelawney girls that the Sacketts knew, sometimes pursued and courted back in Tenesee. I love reading about William Tell Sackett. This is a great book.
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tell Sackett is one of my favorites of the Sacketts, so I was delighted to see him as the lead in this book. The book was full of tiny twists, including adding a new Sackett to the list: Nolan Sackett, a gunfighter for hire. There is a love story -- or is it a betrayal? I'm not going to tell here! Read the book!

If you like Westerns, you'll like this one.
Thomas C.Curtis
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book followed his normal fashion leaving the reader happy and content as we hear of people struggling to right injustices.
Patricia Wchman
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New writer for me. Love the characters, length of story, terse writing. May become a fave.
Teri Pre
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feb2018
The end was great! :D
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little more brief and loose than other Sackett books I've read, yet sill an entertaining read.
May 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: western
This isn't my favorite of the Sackett series, but working my way through the L'Amour bibliography this summer, and this is on the list.
I give it 3.5 stars. The characters and storyline were fine, but I liked the California setting.
Randy Grossman
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A typical Sackett story...pretty good for the most part. There were a couple annoying things about it that I don't recall from other L'Amour books. It seemed all the characters were "black-eyed" or "old devils"....I think Louis could have broadened his vocabulary some. A couple times the story got a little bit confusing about who was a good guy or bad guy, but overall as said before, pretty good.
D. Norman
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great writing. I especially like the factual historical references.
Dennis Brock
This one is not as good as the other Sackett Books I've read so far! I'm just didn't enjoy it very much! I didn't really care for the characters, & thought the reveal at the end was kinda cheesy. To me not on par with other Louis L'Amour stuff!
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic L'Amour. Good stuff.
Jefferson Coombs
Solid western book and a good addition to the Sackett series.
James Spears
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this story especially the actions and natural occurring humor in the story.
Aaron Toponce
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-recommended
Bookworm Smith
Why is it that good hearted cowboys always seem to get dragged into trouble by dark hearted women?

This is another novel where one of the Sackett boys goes out of his way to help a lady and ends up in a whole heap o' trouble - gunfights, suicidal desert crossings, saloon brawls, etc. This time Tell Sackett helps out a lady named Dorinda. She looks innocent enough at the beginning. Just a lady who needs some help getting to California. It quickly turns into a situation where Tell and this lady are
Steven Brandt (Audiobook-Heaven)
William Tell Sackett is heading for Los Angeles. He’s got thirty pounds of gold to sell and is willing to ride the extra miles to get a better price. But no one can ride with that much gold and not attract a certain amount of trouble.

The trouble this time comes in the form of a black-eyed girl named Durinda. She’s beautiful, and she’s obviously on the run from something. Always having a soft spot for hard luck cases, Tell agrees to take her to Los Angeles with him almost before he realizes what
  • Ambush of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #31)
  • Sudden
  • The Rainbow Trail ( Riders of the Purple Sage#2)
  • Gunsights
  • Nebraska! (Wagons West, #2)
  • Shooter's Cross
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
More about Louis L'Amour...

The Sacketts (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sackett's Land

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • East Wind: West Wind: The Saga of a Chinese Family (Oriental Novels of Pearl S. Buck Book 8)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
  • The Paris Wife
    $11.99 $2.99
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“There are men who prefer to keep trouble from a woman, but it seems to me that is neither reasonable nor wise. I've always respected the thinking of women, and also their ability to face up to trouble when it comes, and it shouldn't be allowed to come on them unexpected.” 2 likes
“We mountain boys were all walkers. Mostly it was the fastest way to get ary place back in the hills, for often a boy could cross a mountain afoot where no horse could go . . .” 1 likes