Start by marking “Across the Barricades (Kevin and Sadie, #2)” as Want to Read:
Across the Barricades (Kevin and Sadie, #2)

Across the Barricades

(Kevin and Sadie #2)

Kevin and Sadie just want to be together, but it's not that simple. Things are bad in Belfast. Soldiers walk the streets and the city is divided. No Catholic boy and Protestant girl can go out together - not without dangerous consequences . . . The second of Joan Lingard's ground-breaking Kevin and Sadie books
Published January 28th 1973 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published January 2nd 1973)

Start your review of Across the Barricades (Kevin and Sadie, #2)
Hilary
This fairly short book tells of two families, one Catholic and one Protestant. Sadie and Kevin fall in love but their different backgrounds mean that they are prevented from seeing each other safely. They meet secretly but they know this will lead to trouble.

This is an interesting look into life in Northern Ireland in the 70s when bombing, shooting and murder were commonplace, this story suggests that this was a nightly occurrence and nobody was safe.

The characters were good, although the book
Aoife

The Kevin and Sadie’s series is based around two teenagers living in Belfast, Northern Ireland, during a time where there is great tension between the protestants and catholics living in the area, aka ‘The Troubles’. Kevin and Sadie used to be enemies but now at 17 and 18 years old, they meet again and end up falling in love at a time when no-one wants them to be together.

This is a book series I originally read as a child and I was really happy to see it up as an audiobook in my librar
Ryan
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
For anyone who wants to know what children of the 1980s read during their schoolyears, and loved, this book would be high on that list. The others?

Grinny
The Demon Headmaster
The Silver Sword
The Goalkeeper's Revenge
The Worst Witch (first three books)
The Asterix books (up to Magic Carpet)
The Machine Gunners
Virtually anything by Roald Dahl.

Most were published by Puffin. Someday, I hope someone calculates the impact their range had on Britain's youth. I doubt they will rate it as highly as it deserv
Trish at Between My Lines
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Every bit as good as I remembered. I love the troubled Belfast setting, the star crossed lovers and how real it all feels. Even after all these decades.
Natalie M
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The second in a series of books by Joan Lingard, set during The Troubles in Northern Ireland during the 1980’s. I’ve read both the play and the novel (rating the novel).
1) this reads like the first in the series and I’d highly recommend starting here. Book one, sets the political scene and introduces the characters.
2) it is very much a modern Romeo and Juliet. Bar a few less deaths. Tragedy still prevails.
3) honestly and beautifully written, realistic and relevant today.
4) the protagonists, Ke
Maria
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An easy and enjoyable read that allows you to transport yourself into northern ireland in the early 70's . The content will never age, religious/ racial intolerance, political unrest, freedom to make your own choices and romeo & juliet romance. I gave this book to my teen and she loves it as much as I did at her age. Sadi , Kevin and their families ignited my interest in Irish history, religion and language. ...more
Jade Davenport
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was something my class and I read together in high school, I really enjoyed this book, although I don’t remember the ending.
Heather
News of the "Troubles" in Northern Ireland dominated my childhood and teen years, so I find it interesting that there aren't more books set in that time and place. I loved this book. It is actually the second book in the series, but you don't need to read the first book to understand the action in this one. The main characters were well rounded, the neighborhoods were filled with people on both sides of the Catholic/Protestant issue. The details were blunt without being graphic, making a good bo ...more
Roxanne
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
I had to read this book in year 9 in class and again reading in a group (seriously did they not trust us reading by ourselves?) Anyways i just remember being given this book as everyone else was reading Romeo and Juliet but our teacher must have been sick of that so we got given this book. I remember being totally bored to tears with this book and constantly wondering why we were been made to read it, and i thought the pace was slow and nothing really happened and it was mainly sadie and kevin e ...more
Stok29
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I quite liked it! I had expected it to be a bit boring, and my friends didn't like it at all. but it surprised me how much I actually liked it!! :D
Mica
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
Read for school. Review will come later
Cee-Jay
May 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary
2.5 stars.. I felt like this was badly written. Set in 1970 between the Northern Ireland troubles (which is still happening to this day) it could’ve focused more on the trouble with police and the British army instead of their so called “friends”.

What Mr.Blake did for them, letting them meet in his home and helped them stay in a secret relationship would’ve been nice if it weren’t for the fact that they were teenagers.

I don’t understand why they have this book apart of school English reading cu
Megan ☾ Michaels
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, important
I enjoyed this one a lot more than I enjoyed the first installment (although I liked that too) as it showed the troubles as a bit more serious than just kids fighting in the street. I also like how this series tackles the subject from both sides, although I'm scared as to what comes next because this was so much sadder. I think this is probably a really good place to start if you're unsure or know little about the troubles in Ireland in the 60s and 70s etc.
Isabella
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Whilst I liked the idea of this, the writing itself felt a bit simplistic and I found it hard to identify with the characters. It was very quick and easy though, and definitely very informative for learning about the troubles. If you want eloquent prose, it's not for you, but if you want a sharp novel about a relavant issue then I'd reccomend it.
Gana
Jun 03, 2020 rated it liked it
It was alright, I wasn't really intrigued by it. got kind of boring the more I read it. that's just my personal opinion though, other people might have different opinions on this book. This book has a bit of history in it, that kind of made it more interesting for me.

Read the book if you're curious because your opinion might be different than mine on this book
Erin
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as a teacher in love with Romeo and Juliet, and found this so romantic. It also helped me understand the troubles in Northern Ireland, even though it is a fictional novel, it was a great read.
My
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-school
We got to read this in our English class and I really enjoyed it. Didn't know it was a series until I finished it, so I might read the rest of the series.
Chrisoula Panagoulia
A sweet, lovely and fast - paced book which shows us there are no boundaries regarding true love.
Elegale
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
(see review for first book)
Diana
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reread
Man oh man. I can't imagine living in that kind of environment, and yet it still exists in many places today. An excellent book. I love Kevin and Sadie.
Ema
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the ending. But the conflicts that occurred not really 'nice'(?)
donna bedwell
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Carolynda Sayers
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it - again. Remember reading it at school and it is still a great book.
morefiction
Finished this one for school today
Elise Lunt
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
meh. it was fine. nothing bad about it, just nothing amazing.
Kelly Gutensohn
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This whole series is wonderful. I read it in high school and then recently bought it for my children and read it again. We all loved it.
Mary
May 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Read and studied whilst at school, introduced me to the problems in Northern Ireland.
Daniyal Ghani (Dan)
Love story set in Belfay on different beliefs.
Kevin McCoy and Sadie Jackson are childhood friends and their siblings also knows each other. They meet after 3 years and start wandering with each other. They are gone of each other but they that this is very difficult as Kevin is Catholic and Sadie is Protestant. Riots are going on b/w Catholics and Protestants, their families are also tells them not meet but they can't help themselves.
Brian has gun and he hid it in Kelly's yard where Kevin used t
Phoebe
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of Sadie and Kevin was a very sweet and honest one. The troubles they, their families, their streets, and subsequently their city (Belfast) was facing were depicted very believable, honest, and without drawing conclusions or putting blame on anybody.
It is a book depicting everyday life in Northern Ireland back in the days when Protestants and Catholics were regularly fighting each other. It is about the everyday life of folk, who just want to life in peace and have everyone mind their
Klaudia
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Inspiring story about two individuals who given all the odds still made the impossible - possible
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Homecoming
  • Ubu Roi
  • Médecin du RAID : Vivre en état d urgence (ESSAIS DOC.)
  • L'Herbe rouge
  • Hunted (Feral Souls Trilogy, #1)
  • Brother Dusty-Feet
  • Snow in Summer
  • Constance: A Story of Early Plymouth
  • The Armourer's House
  • The Piper's Pursuit (Hagenheim, #10)
  • Always (The Lost Princesses, #0.5)
  • The Giver Quartet (The Giver, #1-4)
  • Found and Forged (The Lost Sentinel, #4)
  • What Lies Between Us
  • Acid For The Children
  • Cal
  • The Laramie Project
Joan Lingard was born in Edinburgh, in the Old Town, but grew up in Belfast where she lived until she was 18. She attended Strandtown Primary and then got a scholarship into Bloomfied Collegiate. She has three daughters and five grandchildren, and now lives in Edinburgh with her Canadian husband.

Lingard has written novels for both adults and children. She is probably most famous for the teenage-ai

Kevin and Sadie (5 books)
  • The Twelfth Day of July (Kevin and Sadie, #1)
  • Into Exile (Kevin and Sadie, #3)
  • A Proper Place (Kevin and Sadie, #4)
  • Hostages to Fortune (Kevin and Sadie, #5)