Start by marking “Across the Barricades (Kevin and Sadie, #2)” as Want to Read:
Across the Barricades (Kevin and Sadie, #2)

Across the Barricades

(Kevin and Sadie #2)

Kevin and Sadie just want to be together, but it's not that simple. Things are bad in Belfast. Soldiers walk the streets and the city is divided. No Catholic boy and Protestant girl can go out together - not without dangerous consequences . . . The second of Joan Lingard's ground-breaking Kevin and Sadie books
Published January 28th 1973 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published January 2nd 1973)

Aoife

The Kevin and Sadie’s series is based around two teenagers living in Belfast, Northern Ireland, during a time where there is great tension between the protestants and catholics living in the area, aka ‘The Troubles’. Kevin and Sadie used to be enemies but now at 17 and 18 years old, they meet again and end up falling in love at a time when no-one wants them to be together.

This is a book series I originally read as a child and I was really happy to see it up as an audiobook in my librar
Ryan Williams
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
For anyone who wants to know what children of the 1980s read during their schoolyears, and loved, this book would be high on that list. The others?

Grinny
The Demon Headmaster
The Silver Sword
The Goalkeeper's Revenge
The Worst Witch (first three books)
The Asterix books (up to Magic Carpet)
The Machine Gunners
Virtually anything by Roald Dahl.

Most were published by Puffin. Someday, I hope someone calculates the impact their range had on Britain's youth. I doubt they will rate it as highly as it deserv
Trish at Between My Lines
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Every bit as good as I remembered. I love the troubled Belfast setting, the star crossed lovers and how real it all feels. Even after all these decades.
Natalie M
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The second in a series of books by Joan Lingard, set during The Troubles in Northern Ireland during the 1980’s. I’ve read both the play and the novel (rating the novel).
1) this reads like the first in the series and I’d highly recommend starting here. Book one, sets the political scene and introduces the characters.
2) it is very much a modern Romeo and Juliet. Bar a few less deaths. Tragedy still prevails.
3) honestly and beautifully written, realistic and relevant today.
4) the protagonists, Ke
Maria
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An easy and enjoyable read that allows you to transport yourself into northern ireland in the early 70's . The content will never age, religious/ racial intolerance, political unrest, freedom to make your own choices and romeo & juliet romance. I gave this book to my teen and she loves it as much as I did at her age. Sadi , Kevin and their families ignited my interest in Irish history, religion and language.
Деница Райкова
Джоун Лингард - "През барикадите", изд. "Отечество" 1988, прев. Цвета Карагьозова

Една странна - и прекрасна - среща с книга, за която още не знам как да пиша. Нито как да я определя.
Споменавала съм как започна и през колко етапа премина моето "запознанство" с Ирландия. От буйните песни на "The Pogues", през по-кротките /донякъде/ drinking song.. до случайно откритите преди около година мелодични и въздействащи песни с чисто историческо и /или/ дори политическо съдържание. Песни, които ме накарах
Jade Davenport
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was something my class and I read together in high school, I really enjoyed this book, although I don’t remember the ending.
Heather
News of the "Troubles" in Northern Ireland dominated my childhood and teen years, so I find it interesting that there aren't more books set in that time and place. I loved this book. It is actually the second book in the series, but you don't need to read the first book to understand the action in this one. The main characters were well rounded, the neighborhoods were filled with people on both sides of the Catholic/Protestant issue. The details were blunt without being graphic, making a good bo ...more
Roxanne
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
I had to read this book in year 9 in class and again reading in a group (seriously did they not trust us reading by ourselves?) Anyways i just remember being given this book as everyone else was reading Romeo and Juliet but our teacher must have been sick of that so we got given this book. I remember being totally bored to tears with this book and constantly wondering why we were been made to read it, and i thought the pace was slow and nothing really happened and it was mainly sadie and kevin e ...more
Stok29
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I quite liked it! I had expected it to be a bit boring, and my friends didn't like it at all. but it surprised me how much I actually liked it!! :D
Mica
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
Read for school. Review will come later
Isabella
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Whilst I liked the idea of this, the writing itself felt a bit simplistic and I found it hard to identify with the characters. It was very quick and easy though, and definitely very informative for learning about the troubles. If you want eloquent prose, it's not for you, but if you want a sharp novel about a relavant issue then I'd reccomend it.
Chrisoula Panagoulia
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lovely read.
Yseult ϟ
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
C'était le deuxième d'une série de cinq, je me demande si je lirai les trois suivants. En aucun cas, je ne lirai le premier.
donna bedwell
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Chrisoula Panagoulia
A sweet, lovely and fast - paced book which shows us there are no boundaries regarding true love.
Carolynda Sayers
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it - again. Remember reading it at school and it is still a great book.
Diana
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reread
Man oh man. I can't imagine living in that kind of environment, and yet it still exists in many places today. An excellent book. I love Kevin and Sadie.
Elegale
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
(see review for first book)
Ema
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the ending. But the conflicts that occurred not really 'nice'(?)
My
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-school
We got to read this in our English class and I really enjoyed it. Didn't know it was a series until I finished it, so I might read the rest of the series.
another.raven.boy
Finished this one for school today
Phoebe
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of Sadie and Kevin was a very sweet and honest one. The troubles they, their families, their streets, and subsequently their city (Belfast) was facing were depicted very believable, honest, and without drawing conclusions or putting blame on anybody.
It is a book depicting everyday life in Northern Ireland back in the days when Protestants and Catholics were regularly fighting each other. It is about the everyday life of folk, who just want to life in peace and have everyone mind their
Klaudia
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Inspiring story about two individuals who given all the odds still made the impossible - possible
Abbie Norris
Jun 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes romance
Recommended to Abbie by: Teacher
I really liked this book, it was really nice to read. It wasnt full on and was just abiout right for my reading skills. It told me alot about Ireland and how people had to sneek out to see there friends that were different religions.
The pepole must had found it vrey hard to understand what to do and how to cope with all the killing and fighting. Many people lost there lives when they were fighting for there Faith. I liked this book alot as it was very romantic and emotional as people that came v
Rachel
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: a, female-author
A bit like a modern day Romeo and Juliet, set in Belfast during the 1980’s when violence was prominent, aimed very much towards a teenage audience, with short sentences and no overly difficult language. It has some very twee moments, but also some very sad ones such as the deaths of people who try to ignore the religions and help whoever they felt needed to be helped.

It highlighted well the religious and social cultures of different groups (many of which are inherited), as well as the similarit
Hevarrrr Morgan
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yonge adults or people that like romances
Recommended to Hevarrrr by: teacher Mrs Shields
Well at the start i thought the book was REALLY boring but then i seemed to get into it quite alot because it became more exciting soo i enjoyed it more.
i think that in the middle of this book it was very tragic because neither of their familys really aproved of them bein more than friends because of their religious sides.
But they thought that if another family in there vuillage could do it so caould they so this made me want to read more and more because i wanted to see what happened next!
I was
Luke
Oct 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Across the barricades is a good example of a novel that you can learn from with love,emotion,compotition,action and some brain teasers.the book starts as a simple story with two main characters kevin and sadie who are unfortunatly on different sides of culture where there is a seperation between catholics and prodistants and kevin and sadie cannot fall in love because of this seperation but there is more that meets the eye in this small quiet town.

I would recommend this book to people who like t
Sam
Dec 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
I first read this in school but recently re-read it and thoroughly enjoyed it. The story is based in Belfast during the Troubles and tells the story of two kids who are on different sides of the sectarian divide, whose relationship blossoms when it shouldn't. Very much a modern Northern Irish twist on the traditional Romeo and Juliet story, the book is aimed at young adults but can be enjoyed by readers of any age. The characters are well written and the story manages to focus on the story betwe ...more
amie-jay ensor
Jun 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Romance
Recommended to amie-jay by: Mrs.Shields
I really enjoyed reading this book. It wasn't really hard to read and most of it was quite easy to understand! I really helped me understand what it was like in Ireland at that time to have a friend that was a different religion to you. It must have been very hard knowing that you could be killed, just for being with your best friend of a different religion. I liked this book because it was a romance and because most of the main charachters had different views on Kevin and Sadies' relationship. ...more
  • Medea
  • London Lies Beneath
  • The Ridge (Amanzimtoti, #1)
  • Biggles The Camels Are Coming
  • In Lane Three, Alex Archer (Alex Archer, #1)
  • The Red and the Green
  • Brother in the Land
  • The Ghost Drum (Ghost World, #1)
  • Dougy (The Gracey Trilogy #1)
  • Dieu, le sexe et les bretelles (Titeuf, #1)
  • Tulku
  • Ten Stories about Smoking
  • Strange Objects
  • A Pack of Lies
  • The Otterbury Incident
  • Foxspell
  • The Wool-Pack
  • Jan, mein Freund
Joan Lingard was born in Edinburgh, in the Old Town, but grew up in Belfast where she lived until she was 18. She attended Strandtown Primary and then got a scholarship into Bloomfied Collegiate. She has three daughters and five grandchildren, and now lives in Edinburgh with her Canadian husband.

Lingard has written novels for both adults and children. She is probably most famous for the teenage-ai

Kevin and Sadie (5 books)
  • The Twelfth Day of July (Kevin and Sadie, #1)
  • Into Exile (Kevin and Sadie, #3)
  • A Proper Place (Kevin and Sadie, #4)
  • Hostages to Fortune (Kevin and Sadie, #5)