Dismiss This group has been designated for adults age 18 or older. Please sign in and confirm your date of birth in your profile so we can verify your eligibility. You may opt to make your date of birth private.

Start by marking “Animal Equality: Language and Liberation” as Want to Read:
Animal Equality: Language and Liberation

Animal Equality: Language and Liberation

The first book on language and nonhuman oppression, Animal Equality shows that deceptive, biased words sustain injustice toward nonhuman animals. Speciesism, the failure to accord other animals equal consideration and respect, survives through misunderstanding and ignorance.

Contrasting evolutionary reality with popular notions of human uniqueness and superiority, Animal Eq

Published June 1st 2001 by Lantern Books (first published May 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Animal Equality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animal Equality

Peacegal
Mar 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
ANIMAL EQUALITY is a book that has been on my to-read list for quite a while. Though the everyday abuse and exploitation of animals in a variety of industries are likely to be already familiar to animal advocates, the bizarre language that shrouds their practices may not be. It’s a story of PR and denial running amok, and you never imagined there would be so many words for “kill.”

Sport hunting, in particular, has a disturbing, rape-y language among its adherents. The author writes:

Hunters also
Lyn
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Language has the power both to reflect our attitudes and to determine them, as we know from the battle for language that is inclusive of women. This book looks at the way our language choices enable us to disregard the interests, sentience and consciousness of non-human animals so that we can exploit them for our own ends. The book challenges our prejudices and our ability to turn beings, whether human or non-human, into "others" whose rights we can ignore.
Rift Vegan
Sep 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, vegan
Love this author: Joan Dunayer. I have read _Speciesism_ a while ago... many of the same examples are in this book, tho here they seem more complete and there are many More examples. I think the newer book is better, but this book is where the foundation is. A very important read!
Deborah
not well that well written, but I agree with it.
Geertrui Cazaux
Jun 09, 2018
Alyazia
rated it did not like it
May 01, 2016
Eric Honestly
Jan 24, 2019
Aj
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A well researched and organised book using the chapters to discuss domains of human animal / non-human animal interactions to reveal how language effects perception of relationships toward animals.

The book contains a useful style-guide for anyone wanting to ensure fair presentation of animals in texts. Even as an established plant-based eater, and as an ethical vegan, the book revealed domains I'd not encountered such as hunting and zoos.

Whatever one's attitude to animals, this book provokes th
Ida