Start by marking “Understanding the Americans: A Handbook for Visitors to the United States” as Want to Read:
Understanding the Americans: A Handbook for Visitors to the United States

Understanding the Americans: A Handbook for Visitors to the United States

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating details ·  66 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
This unique handbook for fresh arrivals to the United States outlines common American practices, beliefs, and customs. Written in a colloquial style and drawing on examples from history and popular culture, the author provides priceless insights on why Americans behave as they do and answers the important questions a visitor might ask, from why Americans appear so open and ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Hippocrene Books

To ask other readers questions about Understanding the Americans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding the Americans

Jennie Hanna
Interesting ready. I mostly enjoyed this because as a born and bred American, I found a lot of the advice & descriptions to be true and unintentionally hilarious. Worth a read!
Kay
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Richmond glosses over some of the less savory aspects of American history in favor of breadth not depth. I think in general this makes sense: he probably wanted this to be a short, readable book. On the other, it's disingenuous, making Americans look better/nicer/more understanding and accepting than they really are (I say this as someone born on U.S. soil, from a family that's mostly been born on U.S. soil for the past three generations).

Some of his assessments of American culture are strangely
Ardyth
May 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
Bought this on a lark as I often am surprised by the extent to which "Commonwealthers" find us to be strange and confusing. I include my fiancé in this! Anyway, this book is okay, neither better nor worse than any other culture crash course...baseline on American behaviors & why we have them. Might be useful for a first-time visitor, or someone who immigrated yet still struggles to "get us."
Lindsay
Nov 19, 2012 rated it liked it
I was expecting those to be a butt more humorous, an American certain of Meeting the English perhaps. While it did have useful information it did seen rather biased and also seemed too be written pre financial crisis, I suspect a number off things gabber changed in the USA since then.
Melissa
Mar 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Obviously I would have enjoyed this book more were I not an America...as I knew what the authors was talking about. But it was a really thorough view of many aspects of American life and what to expect if you were to move or visit here.
Rachel G.
Dec 07, 2010 rated it liked it
While some parts of this book do offer some interesting insights to Americans as a people and US culture, this is mostly a practical guide to the US for foreigners. I was hoping for something more along the lines of social anthropology, but I guess I'll have to find something else.
zltg
Feb 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: misc
Concise and up-to-date.
Stacie
Feb 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting read about how Americans are viewed by someone who is from another country. It will cause you to laugh out loud when reading about some of the things Americans do everyday.
Oge
Sep 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Useful, concise, and occasionally insightful and even funny. Good read for everyone considering moving to the US or getting established here.
Josh Shelley
Steve
rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Yale Richmond served as a cultural officer in the U.S. Foreign Service with postings in Germany, Laos, Poland.
More about Yale Richmond...
“Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save.” 14 likes