Start by marking “Ivory” as Want to Read:
Ivory

Ivory

Martin Roberts has made a successful career from painting, but is finding that his creativity is slipping away - stifled by his family life. That is until he is responsible for running a teenage girl down in his car.

Miraculously the girl survives, but stranger than her lack of injuries is her striking physical appearance; stark white hair and skin, and jet black eyes. Bein
ebook
Published January 30th 2010 by Smashwords (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ivory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ivory

Reading Wolf
I found this book to be written ok, but I disliked the character of Martin. He was a flat character. He disappointed me in the end. His choices were poorly chosen and weak. I deleted this free book.
Karl Drinkwater
Jun 02, 2012 rated it liked it
David Watson
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ivory tells the tale of an artist and art teacher named Martin Roberts. Martin is having a midlife crisis, he doesn’t feel satisfied with his family and doesn’t feel inspired to paint anymore. Then one rainy night his life changes when he accidentally hits a teenage girl with his car. Even though the girl should have died in the horrific crash, she survives. She is no ordinary teenager, her skin and hair are pure white, her eyes are black as coal and she is mute. Martin sits with the girl until ...more
Casey
Oct 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, kindle-books
Ivory is an engrossing story of a man obsessed. Although it starts out strong, it's not without its faults. When I got to about 88%, the story took a strange turn. Now don't get me wrong, I love supernatural horror stories. You allow your mind to shift past the "that could never feasibly happen" and take everything given to you in believable stride. But the big secret plot twist is fragmented and incomplete as best. When dealing with the supernatural you expect that there are questions without a ...more
Sam
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, fantasy, e-books
Well this is certainly a book of two halves, the first sets up the story and introduces the characters and prepares the reader for a story of obsession, adultery and a possible Pretty Woman style rescue. Then the second half comes along and turns the entire story upside and throws the reader into a maelstrom of gore and terror (although the obsession does stay too). I don't want to say much more than that but the truth behind Ebony and Ivory's existence and the power they wield is terrifying in ...more
C.V. Hunt
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Everything is not what it seems.

I liked this book. It had a strange and unreal story to it, but it was combined with our reality. Being a painter I could find the obsession in the beauty that Martin had, but I felt his character was sort of distant from the reader. I believe it is because I prefer first person POV.

The story was original, and once Martin is aware of an alternative reality, it gets even better. I’ve said it before; if the writer can make my stomach churn, they’ve done a good job.
Gold  Turtle
Mar 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Billy
Mar 08, 2011 rated it did not like it
Again, like Harvest by the same author, heavy-handed and turgid prose bored me to death. It was like wading through thick custard with all your winter clothes on. Started off okay, but the main character quickly lost my interest and I found myself not caring about him or Ivory or anybody else in the book. I picked this up, like Harvest, because I'd read lots of high praise. I now doubt the sincerity of those readers.
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
A story of obsession! Artist Martin is quite enthralled by Ivory and a supernatural tale ensues.
I really enjoyed this book. It was written well, very descriptive. It was a very strange and unusual book and may not be for everyone.
Crystal
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it
well it was a strange book it was something I had to finish but it didnt make me happy ok for a free book.
Jan
Jun 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, kindle, fiction
Not too sure what to make of this book, its well written and imaginative, but strange. Liked his other book better.
Tammy
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: smashwords, e-reader
I enjoyed this book much more than Harvest.
Diana Quinn
Nov 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Not one of Merrifield's better works. The storyline is not bad, but the writing is not his usual caliber. "Ivory" is an easy read and has some good sci-fi aspects.
Bert Long
Dec 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
quite interesting and unpredictable. Not sure it would appeal to everyone, but I liked it.
Candice
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Interesting and twisty... It was a morbid horror that suited my mood perfectly as the time of reading it.
Darlene
This book was a little slow in spots but was stll worth the read. The ending was a bit of a surprise. I wasn't expecting what I got.
Dee6265
Apr 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
This was a very strange book. Normally I like strange, but I had a lot of trouble getting into this story. It was one of those that I had to push myself to finish and not just give up on.
P.A.
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Starts out good, gets really good, then fizzles.
Michelle
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! What a great read! The book was enjoyable from start to finish and the last chapter had me reaching for popcorn! Great book!
J. A. White