Start by marking “Signspotting: Absurd and Amusing Signs from Around the World” as Want to Read:
Signspotting: Absurd and Amusing Signs from Around the World

Signspotting: Absurd and Amusing Signs from Around the World (Lonely Planet Signspotting #01)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  507 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Lonely Planet: The world's leading travel guide publisher*

Anyone who has spent time on the road knows that you often have to depend on signs...to navigate the town, locate your hotel, and even obey the law. A scary thought if you've ever come across any of the publicly posted absurdities that appear in this book: signs about as easy to understand as a Swahili auctioneer (t
Published October 1st 2005 by Lonely Planet

To ask other readers questions about Signspotting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Signspotting

Jackie
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Very amusing compilation.
Beth Cato
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in, 2010, humor, nonfiction
This delightful and quick read features amusing signs from around the globe. Unlike many other books on this subject (such as Richard Lederer's hilarious Anguished English series) Signspotting consists of full-color pictures of the real signs along with the location.[return][return]Here are a few examples:[return][return]On an outdoor sign for a First Baptist Church in Ambridge, Pennsylvania:[return]No Man Is Happy[return]Unless He Believes[return]He Is[return]Rev John Ritter Pastor[return][retu ...more
Patrick Gibson
Jan 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: humorous
I've been snapping pictures of inane signs for a long time. I have a computer file "Signs of the Apocalypse" loaded with shots that make me go 'huh?'
This book is a fun read (although read is not quite right). I've been a fan of the web site for a long time. It's nice to have a physical manifestation of our careless ignorance.

Some of my favoites:

"CAUTION - Please be aware that the balcony is not on ground level"

Movie Theater Marquee: "Twisted-Passion of Christ-Dirty Dancing"

"Temperary Sign" (I ki
Amanda
Aug 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Clever little book full of signs from street to advertisements to warnings and even businesses. These are signs that have been spotted all over the world so some of the humor comes from simply translating the words to English, or the inability to find English on a sign that states "INFORMATION" yet contains no legible words for those who understand the word "INFORMATION". Some signs are funny and slightly humorous while others were a good laugh out loud. Some were so ridiculous you wonder where ...more
Nicole Bunge
Jan 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Ok, found this at World Market. As I often take pictures of odd signs (or ones with burned out letters that spell something out) I had to have it.

... Either the copy I got was badly put together at the bindery or someone edited this while drunk.

The chapter titles/descriptions had nothing to do with the following pages.

So I ignored them and laughed by butt off.
The signs are priceless.
Yay.

This is a wonderful bathroom book.
treehugger
Aug 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people with senses of humor
This book made me laugh out loud many times - and I read it while standing in the bookstore! I have to add that one of the pictures was taken on the main street of Chapel Hill - and this is a collection of ridiculous signs from AROUND THE WORLD! What are the chances?

Definetly worth a good laugh. Enjoy!
Alix Amnamare
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I love linguistic gaffes, probably because I make so many of them myself. I know a smattering of other languages, I've done some translating, and it's hard - and the errors you can make in the process can be damn hilarious. (Though for my money, the funniest signs are the ones botched by native speakers.)

This book is my go-to book when I need to just sit and laugh for a while.
Mike
Feb 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
This is a cute coffee table or bathroom book, but it's most likely a book given/received as a gift (I got mine from my girlfriend's mom for Xmas), read once, and then forgotten about until someone else picks it up or it gets regifted down the line.
Loyal
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Such a fun book. A very quick and easy read, most of the content consisted of pictures of signs. These signs, due either to placement, wording, or design, were all very funny. I greatly enjoyed all of them. It also made me think of all the funny signs I've seen myself. Very fun, really enjoyed it.
Jobiska (Cindy)
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
The signs are great. If one is used to snarky, pithy, witty commentary on websites devoted to silly things like these, the commentary may leave something to be desired, but luckily there is not much of it, as the signs rightfully should be the main attraction anyway!
Donald
Dec 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Funny, though very similar to "Ultimate Signspotting: Absurd & Amusing Signs from Around the World", which I had just recently read. Ah well...
Kharm
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: want
This has to be one of THE most funny books I have ever read. Ever.
Nancy B
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Funny!
Sarah Eldridge
Aug 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of humor
This book is cute and funny - a good coffee table book!
Lara
Dec 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008
This book is so great! It's a fun read that kept me laughing out loud.
Caitlin
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Purchased and had signed when Doug Lansky came to speak at school. Very fun!
Elizabeth
Apr 22, 2015 rated it liked it
I loved the signs and most of the commentaries were funny (or at least benign), but the book layout really had no rhyme or reason as did the placement of the little essays.

Good flip-through.
Kirsten
Jan 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A funny compilation of hilarious and embarrassing signs from all over the world. I'm not sure which is funnier: the pictures or the captions under them.
Peter Daniel Berg
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
coffee book
Nicole
Feb 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If you don't laugh until you cry while reading this book, you have no sense of the absurd!
Jane Dee
Aug 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Ah HAHAHAHAHHA... guacashito....
Lindsay
Jul 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Some very amusing signs in this one. Great for a quick flick through and some laughs.
Erin Mason
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I laughed so loud and so hard that my husband thought I was being murdered....... look for 'taxidermy and cheese' - it's the best
Barbara
Sep 21, 2015 added it
Shelves: own-it
Will use for making greeting cards. 2D embellishments.
Todd
Aug 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Amusing... well, the pictures are. Much of the caption work is not so inspired. The first time I read this I laughed and laughed consistently throughout. I still chuckle at it.
Kayla
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
There were some really funny signs in this book!! :)
Marie
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I got a good laugh out of this little book. Totally worth a read and might even find a place on my bookshelf for next time I need a quick simple and funny read.
Joseph
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Just a bunch of funniness.
Allison Hellyer
Sep 05, 2012
Elaine T
Apr 03, 2016
  • I Judge You When You Use Poor Grammar: A Collection of Egregious Errors, Disconcerting Bloopers, and Other Linguistic Slip-Ups
  • The Customer Is Not Always Right: Hilarious and Horrific Tales of Customers Gone Wrong
  • People of Walmart: Shop and Awe
  • I Lick My Cheese And Other Notes: From The Frontline Of Flatsharing
  • Awkward Family Pet Photos
  • The Book of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks: A Celebration of Creative Punctuation
  • Regretsy: Where DIY Meets WTF
  • Non Campus Mentis: World History According to College Students
  • Passive Aggressive Notes: Painfully Polite and Hilariously Hostile Writings
  • How to Take Over Teh Wurld: A LOLcat Guide 2 Winning
  • Wreck the Halls: Cake Wrecks Gets "Festive"
  • Stuff On My Cat: The Book
  • Fail Nation: A Visual Romp Through the World of Epic Fails
  • Sh*t My Kids Ruined: An A-Z Celebration of Kid-Destruction
  • Bad Cat: 244 Not-So-Pretty Kitties and Cats Gone Bad
  • Texts From Last Night: All the Texts That No One Remembers Sending
  • Creepiosity: A Hilarious Guide to the Unintentionally Creepy
  • Damn You, Autocorrect!: Awesomely Embarrassing Text Messages You Didn't Mean to Send
DOUG LANSKY is an American travel writer and keynote speaker based in Sweden. He spent about 10 years traveling the world nonstop, visiting over 100 countries, and has since lived outside the US for an additional 13 years. Doug has contributed to Esquire, Men’s Journal, The Guardian, National Geographic Adventure, Reader’s Digest, COLORS Magazine, PublicRadio, and many others. He has written books ...more
More about Doug Lansky...

Lonely Planet Signspotting (4 books)
  • Signspotting 2 : More Absurd and Amazing Signs from Around the World
  • Signspotting 4: The Art of Miscommunication
  • Signspotting III: Lost and Loster in Translation (Signspotting: Lost & Loster in Translation)