Start by marking “30-Second Economics: The 50 Most Thought-Provoking Economic Theories, Each Explained In Half A Minute” as Want to Read:

(30-Second)

Keynesian Economics, Free Market Capitalism, Monetarism, Game Theory, and The Invisible Hand? Sure, you know what they all mean. That is, you've certainly heard of them. But do you know enough about these economic theories to join a dinner party debate or dazzle the bar with your financial knowledge?

30-Second Economics takes the top 50 economic theories, and explains them
Published April 11th 2010 by Metro Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about 30-Second Economics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 30-Second Economics

Start your review of 30-Second Economics: The 50 Most Thought-Provoking Economic Theories, Each Explained In Half A Minute
Mark
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I''m sure the 'high intellects' will probably ding this book for glossing over a topic with so much depth and breadth. And, initially, even I was a bit of a skeptic. But after reading this, I love the book. What I like about the book is that it keeps the topic of Economics at a 'thousand foot level', and this is the level it needs to be at for people to get the true gist of the theories, without losing the gist by getting down into the mathematics and complexities used in these theories. I wante ...more
Pramendra Singh
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good crash course on Economics!
William Schram
Some books exist merely to serve as conversation starters. That in itself is fine. If you want to be able to talk to some random person about the thrilling world of Milton Friedman or John Maynard Keynes that is entirely within your rights as a person.

With 30-Second Economics edited by Donald Marron, the main issue is that the book doesn’t go into depth in any of the subjects it talks about. However, that is the main idea of this series, to cover a wide swath of a field without going too far dow
Kylie Young
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 ⭐️ it’s a great reference book. Though I’m unsure if it’s for beginners or those with more knowledge. The summaries were done well, yet not. They were too vague about some things and a beginner would still have no idea what’s being said. And in other ways it was too detailed and confusing - perhaps it was the writing style, not sure.
I did think it was great to hear the back story of the various economic theories and the social psychology behind why they were developed.
Tobias Taylor
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Insightful and broad - a good manual for anybody interested in understanding the basic concepts, theories, and schools of thought in economics. By using real-life examples of economic principles from the USA to China to Germany this easy-to-read volume veers away from trapping itself into a review of a singular country's economy.
Louis
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science, devotional
Liked the philosophy book I used as a daily reading and am interested in Economics so picked this up on sale.
Maybe I shouldn't have.
Not that the info is bad or missing. But might be too brief. And having a full page psychedelic image that relates seems like a waste of space to fill the book out. Some historical context would have been nice as well as maby tying the progression of ideas together more so then the little related: section. I’m a big picture and I assume that as much as a 50 ideas a
Harrison
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this book very much. It talked about basic economic principles and taught them very well. It covered things from socialism to capitalism.
Mark Major
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Useful for a brief introduction to key concepts and terminology in macroeconomics.
Sekaringtias
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you could only read one book on economical theory, let this be the one.
Cha
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Economics in Junior Year shouldnt have been like Ms. Jacob’s way, it should been taught this way where in students would crave for more info instead of observing how her hair bobs to avoid sleeping.
Ivan
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Basic lessons in economics. Useful for beginners to be used as dictionary.
Jacob Roberts
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nothing explained in depth. Good economic conversation starters.
Amy
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book really did a good job giving a short "30-Second" overview of some of the basic concepts. I appreciate that each section has a glossary (though the term 'market' was conspicuously missing), and that each theory or concept has a "3-Second" definition and then a "3-Minute" list of terms to go a little deeper. The breakdowns are helpful, and it's just helpful laying out the terminology and basic ideas to have a foundation for further reading.

Another reviewer on here suggested that there is
Icon Books
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 30-second-series
"The perfect book for anyone confused by the whole subject of economics ... Lightning insights are given into economic concepts from the past and present that effect our lives ... It's fascinating." --Choice

"[a] clever approach to digesting information." --Diplomat, June 2011

Keynesian Economics, Free Market Capitalism, Monetarism, Game Theory and the Invisible Hand. Sure, you know what they mean. That is, you've certainly heard of them. But do you know enough about these economic theories to jo
Rachel
Apr 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nerdynonfiction
This book perfectly encapsulates all of economic theory in bite-sized pieces. The authors give you examples of the various theories, terminologies, and movements from the past few centuries. What I found especially compelling was that they told you why each should work and then gave instances where they had not.
It certainly made me want to do more in depth reading on topics such as the financial instability hypothesis as presented by Hyman Minsky.
You can't make that stuff up.
Matt Tooley
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was really interesting. If economics or psychology interests you this is a must read. It makes what usually seems quite complicated pretty simple, and also provides some biographical information on some of the people that came up with the theories and ideas that shape the field of economics today. I enjoyed it, and it is definitely a quick educational read if your looking for one. Available at Barnes and Noble.
Wesley Williams
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: economics
A lot of the information in this book is presented in short form for the reader to engage the topic further should they see fit. I myself purchased four new books from wanting to read further into the theories presented in the book.

As an interested student of economics this book presented its information in a highly accessible and easy to read manner in which I can use to refer back to when necessary. More of a reference point for current students than an introduction to economics.
Robert
Jan 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. I think it can act as a primer or a quick reference. The pages give the economic idea, its explanation, and a quick critique. I know that I have used the information in the book when a friend mentioned the Permanent Income Hypothesis and I was able to comment on it and then we were able to discuss briefly the limits of that idea.
Brittany
I was given this book by my boyfriend, an economics major, who wanted to help me find interest in the subject after severely hating my college economics course. I can honestly say this has done nothing but confirm my hatred for economics. The book is written well and I'm sure others will get something out of it but the subject is just so dry.
Adam Spanos
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: economics
I have a BA in Economics and i have to admit that this book gives a great taste of many complex economic theories in a really understandable way for everyone. I really liked the extra pages scattered in the book that give us some info about the greatest economists.

I recommend it to everyone out there interested in getting a glimpse of what is the magical world of economics about!
Nora
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
It is perfect for someone who wants to refresh the memory, I don't recommend it if you don't know anything about economics. I finished my masters two years ago and i needed something to refresh my memory. The missing star in my opinion is about the pictures, I much preferred it if they have charts and diagrams to further explain the theories.
Steve Schlutow
Feb 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent go-to (reference) book. I purchased it in the discount section of Barnes & Noble.. It is an excellent go-to book when economist on the news begin using terms beyond my everyday vocabulary. ...more
Ryan Glass
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great read for getting a basic survey of economic theory. Oddly, for an economics book, the theory is matched, if not surpassed, but the design inside. Thoroughly recommend this book for anyone interested in the nuts and bolts of modern society.
Hiatt Zhao
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Got this book for Christmas. It's a quick read. I can see myself using it as a quick reference in the future. It provides a beginner's overview of major economic concepts. Very good for amateur economists.
Michael
A superficial sample of the most important ideas in economics. It's better as a review of previous learning than as an initiation to the subject, in my opinion.
Christie
Jan 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview of some of the basic economic theories. Not always impartial, but what economics book is? Definitely will keep this around for quick reference.
James
Apr 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting. I didn't finish all of it, but it's really a reference book.

Read this book on Home Leave.
Luke
Jul 16, 2011 rated it liked it
A fun primer on basic economics. Beautiful layout and an excellent for help in understanding the talking heads during these turbulent economic times.
Miķelis
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Short and simple descriptions of main economic theories. Excellent for quick repetition.

• 30-Second Politics: The 50 Most Thought-Provoking Theories In Politics, Each Explained In Half A Minute
  • Algorithmics: The Spirit of Computing
  • Violence: Six Sideways Reflections
  • Philosophy in the Islamic World: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
  • How Luck Happens: Using the Science of Luck to Transform Work, Love, and Life
  • The Sublime Object of Ideology
  • Up: How Positive Outlook Can Transform Our Health and Aging
  • War: An Enquiry
  • A Letter Concerning Toleration
  • What They Don't Teach You at Harvard Business School: Notes from a Street-Smart Executive
  • The Longevity Plan: Seven Lessons from the World's Happiest and Healthiest Village

30-Second (1 - 10 of 51 books)
  • 30-Second Anatomy: The 50 Most Important Structures And System In The Body, Each Explained In Half A Minute
  • 30-Second Ancient China: The 50 Most Important Achievements of a Timeless Civilisation, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • 30-Second Ancient Egypt: The 50 Most Important Achievements of a Timeless Civilization, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • 30-Second Ancient Greece: The 50 Most Important Achievements Of A Timeless Civilization, Each Explained In Half A Minute
  • 30-Second Ancient Rome: The 50 Most Important Achievements Of A Timeless Civilisation Each Explained In Half A Minute
  • 30-Second Anthropology: The 50 Most Important Ideas in the Study of Being Human, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • 30-Second Architecture: The 50 Most Signicant Principles and Styles in Architecture, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • 30-Second Astronomy: The 50 most mindblowing discoveries in astronomy, each explained in half a minute
  • 30-Second Bible: The 50 Most Meaningful Moments in the Bible, Each Explained in Half a Minute. by Russell Re Manning
  • 30-Second Biology: The 50 Most Thought-Provoking Theories Of Life, Each Explained In Half A Minute