Start by marking “The Saga of Erik the Viking” as Want to Read:
The Saga of Erik the Viking

The Saga of Erik the Viking

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  349 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
'This is one tale of a Viking warrior who lived hundreds and hundreds of years ago. His name is Erik.' And Erik is no ordinary Viking. With his trusty band of men he sets sail in search of the land where the sun goes at night. In fact, he finds much more! The Sea Dragon, the Old Man of the Sea, Dogfighters and giants combine to make his voyage a great saga of thrilling adv ...more
Published 1983 by Schocken Books

To ask other readers questions about The Saga of Erik the Viking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Saga of Erik the Viking

Rebecca
Jul 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*sets sat-nav for the edge of the world*
Dave
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This is Terry Jones attempt at telling Viking sagas in the way that he hoped they would be, full of adventure and excitement. Told, as in the real sagas, in very episodic form, this is the adventure of Erik and his crew on the Golden Dragon as they travel the world taking on deceitful trolls, Dogfighters (your actual dogs of war), mystical mountains and go on to adventures at the edge pf the world and outwit The Old Man of The Sea.
These are aimed at young teenagers, but the stories are nicely to
Tzu-Mainn Chen
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-appropriate
One of the favored books from my childhood, remembered and passed down to my daughter.

+ VIKINGS!
+ no one dies, i reassured my daughter. except for the chapter with the dog-warriors, turns out that one or two of the unnamed crew were butchered on the beach. somehow she survived that trauma
+ short episodic chapters that also form one AWESOME overarching story
+ magic swords!
+ dragons!
+ a narwhal!
+ a chess match against death!
+ good morals subtly expressed
+ awesome pictures (get the edition with col
Paula
May 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my very favorite read-alouds with children ... The first time I read it ... I shared it with my own 3 young boys . . . when they were still at that magical age of childhood bedtime stories ... the years just beyond age 5. Their minds ... imaginations and eyes were full of wonder as each new chapter / adventure ... unfolded, was anticipated ... with pleas to read more than one chapter a night.
Jessica Pesic
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Being Scandinavian (and having an intense passion for vikings when I was little), my mother bought this book for me when I was learning how to read. At that age it seemed monstrous to me, almost like a text book, but it was filled with beautiful illustrations, so I didn't mind. This book will always be special to because it was my mother-and-me book.
She used to read it to me all the time until I learnt how to read, at which point I read it to myself over and over again!
Jessica
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
My 5- year old loved this book more than any book we've ever read to him. Some of the pictures were scary but he just ate up all of the different stories and adventures Erik had- strongly recommend to anyone who has a kid who might like to hear about some viking adventures. We are seriously thinking of buying it for our home library.
Beth Rimell
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really useful to use during our Topic of the Vikings, we used it to create our own viking saga - inspired by these stories and following a similar structure. Also as they are quite short sagas they are easy to dip in and out of!
Sarah Johnson
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another my dad read to me and my brother as kids although my dad never finished reading it to me.
Michael Rubin
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was ten I lived in Europe. I dreamed of living on a sailing vessel with vikings. My grandest hope would be to row an oar for a chief, or run afoul of spirits and dragons while voyaging to the end of the world. The land was young and every breath I would take would yield to myth.

If you enjoyed Beowulf, Gilgamesh, or the Ring saga, this is the book for you. Over thirty years later these pages remind me these dreams are still with me. I am waiting for my own long ship and I want to travel wi
Roman Khan
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens

This book is about a Viking called Eric going on an adventure with his crew and going on adventures like fighting the dog fighters and meeting the old man of the sea who is filled with tricks. I really like this book because Eric doesn't fall for tricks like he said to Thorkhild “don't go in the sea, the old man of the sea is filled with tricks and might freeze you to death!. My favourite character from the book was Eric because he was the most bravest and he didn't fall for tricks. I think you
  • Complete Ghost Stories
  • Jennings Goes To School
  • Bambert's Book of Missing Stories
  • Beowulf
  • Mr. Majeika
  • A Medieval Feast
  • The Quangle Wangle's Hat
  • Gobbolino The Witch's Cat (Kingfisher Classics)
  • Werewolf versus Dragon (An Awfully Beastly Business, #1)
  • The Road of Bones
  • Little Red Riding Hood
  • Fungus the Bogeyman
  • Jabberwocky
  • The Rattle Bag
  • Life is a Dream
  • Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest
  • A Plague of Bogles (City of Orphans, #2)
  • Red Sky in the Morning
Terence Graham Parry Jones is a Welsh comedian, screenwriter and actor, film director, children's author, popular historian, political commentator and TV documentary host. He is best known as a member of the Monty Python comedy team.
More about Terry Jones...