Start by marking “Fierce Leadership: A Bold Alternative to the Worst "Best" Practices of Business Today” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Fierce Leadership: A B...

Susan Scott

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  370 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
From the author of the acclaimed book Fierce Conversations comes the antidote to some of the most wrongheaded practices of business today.

· “Provide anonymous feedback.”
· “Hire smart people.”
· “Hold people accountable.”
These are all sound, business practices, right? Not so fast, says leadership visionary and bestselling author Susan Scott. In fact, these mantras — despit
Published (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Fierce Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fierce Leadership

William Blair
Feb 20, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to William by: colleague
"No, trust me. This one is really good." That's how I got roped into reading this rah-rah book on, as best I can tell, honesty in management and corporate leadership. Out of 300 pages, there's maybe 6, possibly 10, pages with something worthwhile to read; most of that is when the author is quoting someone else. There's nothing wrong with the book. It's all about being a better manager or leader. But unless you have an IQ of, oh, say, 90, you don't need this book to tell you anything that if you ...more
Erica Bentley
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommended Susan's first book, Fierce Conversations, to all people who have conversations... ever. I recommend this book to all people who lead or are led by others. Her insights into relationships and practices in a workplace are raw, real, and very insightful. I learned so much about myself and I hope I will use it to become a better leader and someone who is led better by others. Five stars indeed!
thewestchestarian
Sep 14, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Come on, join our drum circle! With the exception of war, business represents the area of human civilization most concerned with the simple self-serving interpersonal competition for scarce resources. Be skeptical of books, even with the aggressive adverb "Fierce" in the title, that teach something other than this simple precept. While you engage in one of Scott's "fierce" conversations - apparently meaning heart-to-heart, soul-bearing exchanges - the minions of the (with due respect) cold-blood ...more
Greg
Fierce Leadership seems to me to be, in large part, more about personal development and living a life consistent with your own most strongly-held values, than about leadership per se. It covers such topics as time management, the value of quitting, making and pursuing a life list, thinking backwards as a planning tool, gathering experiences rather than possessions, and so forth. There is little that I have not seen before from other writers, many of whom are more incisive and inspiring.

Fierce Le
Barbara
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women
Another advice book that is short on evidence but full of anecdotes and vigorous assertion. Some of the advice seems sound: relationships are the most important thing in business and in life, and strong conversations and timely feedback are the key to strong relationships. It is difficult to like the author, though. She advises an aggressive approach that will surround you with similarly confident, aggressive people. Discretion, kindness, reserve and introversion are all equated with dishonesty ...more
Sarahanneme
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
four and a half
I listened to this audio, the author narrates it herself. She is witty and sarcastic and also barebones authentic at turns. she is a person who is touting the virtues of being real, and i think that if you love brene brown and the idea of presenting our authentic selves no matter in what context, you may appreciate the actual structures of this text. it's sort of a How To be Real--tho a bit more about business, entirely applicable across life. The preparation and actions that Scot
Caroline Gordon
I have to stop giving so many books 5 stars, but I have to say I really loved this. Any leader at any level would enjoy and benefit from Susan's insights. Deep emotional connection is not something usually talked about in management and leadership. Radical transparency gets some airing but Susan puts it all together in how to be an inspirational, highly successful leader. Read it!
Derek Neighbors
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best business book I have read all year. This is so pertinent to the pivot we are making with Integrum and how Gangplank operates. Fierce leaders understand that its about people and the relationships and connections you have with them.
Graeme Lockley
Nice read - lots of common sense and another book challenging the standard practices of the corporate industrial complex where people are treated like machines. This book advocates the return to honest interactions between people where people are able to be people.
Samuel
Mar 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People in leadership.
Shelves: leadership
Pretty good book with tips on management and leadership. You'll already know some of this and some of it will be completely enlightening. Felt it started to get a bit repetitive during the last couple of chapters otherwise it might have been a 4 star, probably could've been a shorter book!
Marnie E.
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Susan Scott's direct and real approach to business and relationships. She offers some provocative, yet logical suggestions in Fierce Leadership. These perspectives helped me to reassess my long-held beliefs about leadership development.
Lori Grant
A should-read book on leadership for knowledge workers, managers, directors, C-levels, and entrepreneurs.
Lynn
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant alternative to boring business practices...fun and practical...
Eric
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stopped-reading
This book was a big letdown. Seemed like a rehash of her first book, fierce conversations. Stopped halfway and don't plan on picking back up.
Trish
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book on leadership and company culture I have read so far. I would highly suggest this for anyone in a position to impact a company culture.
Jun 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tactics for leading a company, focusing on relationships. Very practical, and written with light touch.
Libby
May 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Useful. nothing unexpected. but obviously still plenty of "leaders" that are just crap.
Jim Brown
One of two books I have read by the same author. This one discusses the conversations you should have with people within your business relationships. Everyone in business should read this book.
Eddy
Apr 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author's quirky sense of humor is a bit surprising at times...but the content of the book is great. It grew on me slowly, but in the end, she had fantastic things to say.
Bruce Flanagan
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agree with the Auther 99% except for 360 degree feedback I believe are very useful
Iceblue Accent
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read if you are interested in open, honest leadership. 'Fierce' aligns beautifully with my natural communication style, Susan Scott explains how to refine it :)
Hillary
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Excellent leadership book - short, slim, and packs a punch. Pair with Fierce Conversations by same author.
Mags
Wonderful, highly recommend!
Stephen
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
READ JAN 2013

Nice companion to the original, "Fierce Conversations" ... Both are good for anyone "bored with puffery and posturing, ducks and dodges" and desperately seeking authentic dialog.
Joey alabanza
its not meant for me...but tips are very useful..
Steve Malins
Jan 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Good ideas and excellent message. Way too much anecdotal examples leaving the book 200 pages too long. Try to find summaries for a better use of time
Lauri
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-read, favorites
If anyone is curious what has most recently blown my mind and directly addressed some of my burning questions about this whole leadership and educational leadership thing, here it is.
Mike
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually find leadership books to be an utter waste of time but this book is different. I really enjoyed it and found application in a wide rage of situations.
Philena Pugh
Jul 02, 2011
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • Transparency: How Leaders Create a Culture of Candor
  • Topgrading: How Leading Companies Win by Hiring, Coaching, and Keeping the Best People
  • Power Listening: Mastering the Most Critical Business Skill of All
  • When Generations Collide: Who They Are. Why They Clash. How to Solve the Generational Puzzle at Work
  • Carrots and Sticks Don't Work: Build a Culture of Employee Engagement with the Principles of RESPECT (Business Skills and Development)
  • 11 Rules for Creating Value in the Social Era
  • The Synergist: How to Lead Your Team to Predictable Success
  • Tuesday Morning Coaching ... Eight Simple Truths to Boost Your Career and Your Life
  • Admired: 21 Ways to Double Your Value
  • Shine: Using Brain Science to Get the Best from Your People
  • Nine Minutes on Monday: The Quick and Easy Way to Go from Manager to Leader
  • You Already Know How to Be Great: A Simple Way to Remove Interference and Unlock Your Greatest Potential
  • Collaborate or Perish!: Reaching Across Boundaries in a Networked World
  • Fearless Leadership: How To Overcome Behavioral Blind Spots And Transform Your Organization
  • The One-Life Solution: Reclaim Your Personal Life While Achieving Greater Professional Success
  • Extreme Trust: Honesty as a Competitive Advantage
  • How to Change Minds: The Art of Influence without Manipulation

“Remember that what gets talked about and how it gets talked about determines what will happen. Or won't happen. And that we succeed or fail, gradually then suddenly, one conversation at a time.” 12 likes
“Seeking out people with different views, different perspectives, different ideas is often challenging, because it requires us to set aside judgment and open our minds. But we have to remind ourselves that to get beyond where we are, where I believe most of us are, we would all be be well served to choose our music carefully, to stop talking and listen to one another.” 10 likes