Start by marking “O Museu da Inocência” as Want to Read:
O Museu da Inocência

O Museu da Inocência

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  18,567 Ratings  ·  1,965 Reviews
O Museu da Inocência é uma história de amor, passada em Istambul, entre a Primavera de 1975 e os últimos anos do século XX, e conta a história da paixão obsessiva do herdeiro de uma família rica, Kemal, por uma prima afastada, Füsun, de um meio social menos favorecido. Mas Kemal está noivo da filha de uma das famílias da elite istambulense. Entretanto, Kemal começa a colec ...more
639 pages
Published 2010 by Editorial Presença (first published August 29th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about O Museu da Inocência, please sign up.
Ellen Yes, very well-written, I would compare the author to Gabriel Garcia Marquez. If a person's favorite author is Stephen King -- probably not.

Neil
Oct 15, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I'm going to tell it as it is.  Nobel-winning writer aside, this book is insufferable.  I frankly don't understand the hype, the glowing reviews, attention from the New Yorker - this book is bad.  Really bad.

The story revolves around a privileged man in Istanbul who has a short affair with a shopgirl and proceeds to become completely obsessed with her.  So obsessed is he that after the girl marries someone else, he ends up sitting at their dinner table for the next 8 years.

When Kemal is no
Irwan
Jul 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished, 2009, favorites
(Additional notes below)

One thing I just realized, whenever I am about to finish reading a book, usually some sketchy ideas or sentences appear in my mind, so that right after I finish it, I can just open Goodreads, rate the book and write those ideas. I am also usually satisfied after writing three or four paragraphs, feeling that I have said what I have to say. But, I can't do that with Pamuk's books.

The night I finished this book, I was sitting at my desk with my hands laid on the closed boo
Ahmad Sharabiani
Masumiyet muzesi = The Museum of Innocence, Orhan Pamuk
The Museum of Innocence (Turkish: Masumiyet Müzesi) is a novel by Orhan Pamuk, Nobel-laureate Turkish novelist published on August 29, 2008. The book, set in Istanbul between 1975 and 1984, is an account of the love story between the wealthy businessman Kemal and a poorer distant relative of his, Füsun.
عنوانها: موزه ی بیگناهی؛ موزه معصومیت؛ نویسنده: اورهان پاموک؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش: دوم ماه آگوست سال 2016 میلادی
عنوان: موزه ی بیگناهی؛ نویسنده
Grace Tjan
Jun 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pamuk fans, closet romantics
I must confess that for the last five years, I have had a love and hate relationship with Orhan Pamuk (I also had a similar relationship with Charles Dickens, but that’s another matter altogether).

Pamuk’s style is meticulous and ornate, intensely introspective, sometimes deliberately repetitive, shot through with that particular Turkish kind of melancholy called ‘huzun’. At his best, his prose achieves a poetic, hypnotic quality that makes My Name Is Red such a compelling, mesmerizing read. But
Sawsan
الأسلوب سلس وفيه معاني جميلة متناثرة في السرد
لكن الاستغراق في التفاصيل والإطالة وصلت لحد الملل في أجزاء كثيرة
الرواية آخر ما ترجمه الكاتب والمترجم السوري الراحل عبد القادر عبد اللي
Rowena
“Time had not faded my memories (as I had prayed to God it might), nor had it healed my wounds as it is said always to do. I began each day with the hope that the next day would be better, my recollections a little less pointed, but I would awake to the same pain, as if a black lamp were burning eternally inside me, radiating darkness.”
— Orhan Pamuk, The Museum of Innocence

I must say, when I first started reading this book, I groaned inwardly. I had come across it while I was researching the Tu
Marieke
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this will be a short review because i don't want to give too much away. This is probably one of the more unique books i've ever read, done completely unpretentiously. most of the time i was reading it, i was thoroughly swept up in its melancholy atmosphere, but as the story began to resolve toward the very end, the tone lightened and i happily noted Orhan Pamuk's sense of humor and ability to make fun of himself. at least that is how i processed certain things at the end of the book.

as a
Elyse
Mar 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!!!!!!!

Update: WOW!!!!!

NOTE: Some people may think ..."what is she talking about?" ...nails on a chalkboard & obsessive? Yes...'sometimes'...but My God --in the best of all ways!! The writing is beyond gorgeous -and the story --OMG!

I own this book! (Sorry...'not' giving it away).

When I saw that Steve-goodreads member, was reading the 'not yet' released book, "A Strangeness in My Mind" --due out in a couple of days --I was a little envious! :)

Istanbul: "A Love letter to a City"....(no
Chelsey
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An extremely tedious, depressing read.
I can honestly say that I read the first 150 pages, and then started skimming the rest (which I NEVER do, since I love reading) in search for dialogue.It is so melancholy and slow.

It reminded me of being in a room with an extremely self absorbed person, who blabbers on and on, touching the same points over and over again without really any concern if you're listening or not.

The writing style is also overly detailed, describing dry conversations with busin
Kyriakos Sorokkou
* çok güzel kitap *

* a beautiful story *

* ένα ταξίδι στη χώρα της γραφής του Παμούκ *

Όταν αγόρασα αυτό το βιβλίο ήξερα ότι στο εγγύς μέλλον θα πήγαινα στην οδό Τσουκουρτζουμά να επισκεφτώ το μουσείο, αλλά από τότε μέχρι σήμερα πολλά έχουν γίνει, στ' αεροδρόμιο, στους δρόμους, ένα αμφιλεγόμενο πραξικόπημα, επίθεση με όπλο σε κέντρο την πρωτοχρονιά. Πολλά. Φαίνεται θα αναβάλω την επίσκεψή μου στο μουσείο για το μακρινό μέλλον. Όταν θα πλησιάζω τα 40.

Το [βιβλίο και το] μουσείο της αθωότητας

Ο Παμ
Sinem A.
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
çookk uzun bir süredir -sanırım 15-16 sene olmuştur- Orhan Pamuk okumuyordum. Daha doğrusu kronolojik olarak okuduğum yazarı Benim Adım Kırmızı dan sonra okumayı bırakmıştım. Sanki benim bildiğim ve sevdiğim yazar Benim Adım Kırmızı' dan sonra başka bir yazar olmuştu. Arada okuduğum Kırmızı Saçlı Kadın ı saymıyorum. Saymak istemiyorum.
Orhan Pamuk kesinlikle çok tartışılan bir yazar. Seversiniz sevmezsiniz ancak bence çok çalışkan bir yazar. Hakkını teslim etmek lazım.
Kitaba gelince; benim o Yen
Vonia
Orhan Pamuk. Why have I waited so long to experience your writing? Because that is what this was. An experience. The Museum of Innocence has a deceitfully simple premise. Kemal Bey, from one of the wealthiest, more prominent families in Turkish society, is to be married to the lovely Sibel, daughter of a diplomat. She is well educated, beautiful, resourceful, well matched for his family even; no one can be anything but ecstatic at their engagement party, where they are on display for all of the ...more
Margitte
I have been trying to finish this novel for such a long time. It took three tries. Third time lucky. I finally finished it.

An obsessive man shares his memories of a doomed love affair in a society where East and West are fusing. There is a confusion of cultures driven by mosques on the one hand, and malls on the other, which leads to civil unrest and even war in the vibrant ancient city of Istanbul.

I did not manage to become as obsessed as single-minded Kamul with Füsun, the eighteen-year old g
Gearóid
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was quite an experience reading this book.

At one stage i almost abandoned it as i just had
too much of Kemal's obsession and it was getting a bit tiresome.

However,while i was not reading the book and moved on to other books i keep thinking about it and realised it was beautifully written.The descriptions of Istanbul life in the 1970's and 1980's were so brilliant.
I would be having a coffee in my local cafe(wet and damp and indoors) and would start thinking about Istanbul and the warm feeling i
jeand99
Mar 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aren't we all surrounded by thousands of tiny little things of the ones we love(d)?

"What a bore is life and how predictable: to be born, live and die." This is what I told my grandma (from my mothersside) at the age of eight after reading next weeks TV-guide completely. She looked at me with a little mysterious smile and said "Yes, you are right". I was old at the age of eight. The strange thing is this feeling never really left me. In retrospect my opinion back than was only a part of 'homo sap
Sine
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
diyecek bir şey bulamadım. beş dakikadır bakıyorum ekrana. çok, çok güzel. the washington post'un şu dediğine katılarak: "pamuk bu kitapla aşkı elle tutulur bir şey olarak önümüze koyuyor", ve orhan pamuk kitaplarının hayatımdaki tesadüfi (ya da değil?) doğru zamanlamasına şaşırarak bitireyim. ha bir de, bana istanbul'u sevdiriyor orhan pamuk kitapları.
Laura لاورا
“In realtà, nessuno si rende conto di vivere l’istante più felice della propria vita nell’attimo in cui lo sta vivendo”

Non ho contato quante volte compaia, ma ho il sospetto che la parola “felicità” sia quella che ricorra più spesso in questo romanzo.
Eppure Kemal, il protagonista, finisce per avere una vita tutt’altro che felice. Non che non l’abbia mai conosciuta, la felicità, solo che non ha saputo riconoscerla quando gli si è presentata. O forse, più semplicemente, non ha voluto vederla, pres
Lillian
Apr 09, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what to think of this book. I loved Pamuk's memoir, Istanbul: Memories and the City. But this novel, which covers much of the same material from a fictional perspective, with a woman, instead of a city as the focus of attention, was a frustrating read. The cataloging of every meaningful interaction with Fusun, the focus of Kemal's obsession, and the collecting of thousands of objects she touched or that are associated with her, does capture something ... a period of time? Reading th ...more
Arda
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After finishing "The Museum of Innocence," I found myself in need to talk about it. I wanted my friends to know about this, but I wanted them to know about it slowly, in small drips, and tiny pieces.

-"Do you have time for another cup of coffee?" I'd ask, "This might take a while, but chances are this book might be too long for your taste and you might not want to read it yourself, but you have to at least hear me out till the end. Let me tell you about it!"

It's not typical of me to do this sor
Amaranta
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mix-asia
Ogni persona intelligente sa che la vita è bella e che lo scopo della nostra esistenza è essere felici. Ma alla fine solo gli stupidi trovano la felicità. Come possiamo spiegarcelo? .
Kemal Basmaci è un uomo giovane e forte, ricco, interessante, con tanti amici, una bella fidanzata e prossimo al matrimonio. Potrebbe avere tutto dalla vita. Eppure nella sua vita c’è un corto circuito. Fusun. Una giovane diciottenne, che gli concede la sua verginità, di cui lui si innamora follemente. E questo s
Ana
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
3,5 ⭐

O Museu da Inocência conta-nos uma história de amor e obsessão. Um amor obsessivo que o protagonista (e narrador), o jovem Kemal, pertencente a uma família abastada de Istambul, desenvolve por Füsun, uma prima afastada e pertencente a uma classe pouco abastada. A história inicia-se num cenário de triângulo amoroso, já que Kemal está prestes a ficar noivo de outra mulher, Sibel, uma jovem do seu estrato social que havia estudado na Europa, quando se apaixona e envolve com Füsun. É real desej
مروان البلوشي

هذه آخر رواية للكاتب التركي المعروف أورهان باموك، وقد نشرها في 2008، عامين بعد فوزه بجائزة نوبل في 2006. وقد تم ترجمتها للإنجليزية في 2009.

الحق اني لم أحب هذه الرواية، لقد وجدت عالم باموك متكرراً بالطريقة نفسها، وبالملامح نفسها. ومع أن باموك روائي ذكي للغاية إلا أنه لم يأت بالجديد هذه المرة. هناك تكرار مستمر لنفس المواضيع التي تغلف عالم باموك مثل : انقسام الهوية التركية بين الشرق والغرب، دور الذاكرة واثرها على حياة الإنسان، الصراع بين عادات ثقافة مجتمع شرقي ذكوري محافظ وبين العلاقات بين الرجال و
Ova Incekaraoglu
I like Orhan Pamuk but he has a flaw: he is extremely pleased with himself. I feel like he narcissisticly loves what he writes. I might be wrong, but after comparing this book to his previous work this is my take, as this book was nowhere near his good books!
Usman Hickmath
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kemal, a 30 year old son of a wealthy Istanbul family, about to be engaged to a girl named Sibel, falls in love with an 18 year old shop girl Fusun- a distant, poorer relation of Kemal. Fusun also confesses her love to him and disappears after attending his engagement with Sibel. In his pursuit of Fusun over the next eight years, Kemal becomes a compulsive collector of objects that records his lovelorn progress, amassing a museum.

Having only two brief instances of lovemaking in a 500 pages long
Jderu Marius
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Am ezitat destul de mult daca sa incep sau nu “Muzeul Inocentei”, am ocolit-o poate din cauza numarului de pagini destul de mare, peste 600, asta dupa ce prima mea experienta cu scriitura lui Pamuk a fost cu o carte a sa de non-fictiune “Istanbul” care mi-a placut. Apoi am citit romanul ”Ma numesc rosu” capodopera sa, care mi-a placut la fel de mult este o carte care te solicita, nu este o carte usoara, dar merita efortul de a fi citita pana la final, jurul Comitetului Nobel luand decizia cea ma ...more
Serkan
Romanda birinci kural; ana karakter mutlaka empati duyulabilir, sevilebilir bir karakter olmalıdır derler. Orhan Pamuk her zaman yaptığı gibi ana kurallardan birini çiğneyerek de güzel kitaplar yazılabileceğini göstermiş.

Masumiyet müzesi, Kemal Bey'in Füsun Hanım'a olan büyük aşkını -bana kalırsa büyük takıntısını- anlattığı akıcı bir roman. Füsun'la olan güzel günlerine tekrar kavuşamamak Kemal Bey'i öylesine derinden sarsıyor ki, tüm hayatını bir yana bırakıp, Füsun'la ilgili her türlü eşyayı
notgettingenough
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-lit
Several years ago a neighbour gave me a bag of books, all of which I immediately discarded except this. It sat on my to read shelf for a year or so, until a long haul voyage, even worse, a long haul voyage with flu, was about to happen. Wondering what was possessing me, I put this in my bag. Now or never. Worst case it would find a new home in Australia. Best....

Well, best, it turned out, was amazing. Despite having the flu, despite seats right next to the toilet (really disgusting, just don't d
Erin
Dec 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
mohsen pourramezani
داستان کتاب در اوایل دورهی جمهوری ترکیه اتفاق میافتد. کمال جوانی از خانوادهی مرفه است که میخواهد با دختری همسطح خانوادهی خودش، به نام سیبل ازوداج کند. کمال در دوران نامزدی به طور اتفاقی با فسون (افسون) دختر هفده سالهای که از خانوادهی با درآمد پایین است آشنا میشود و عاشقش میشود.
پ.ن: کتاب را از دوستی امانت گرفتم، در راستای سفری که میخواهیم برای عید به ترکیه برویم. داستان کتاب را دوست نداشتم. زیادی ماجرا را کش داده بود و با ماجرای عشق کمال همذاتپنداری نمیکردم. به نظرم نویسنده بیشتر سعی کرده بود حال
امیر
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
پنچ ستاره با کمال ارادتی که به نویسنده پیدا کردم
باید بگم از طرفدارای پر و پا قرص اورهان پاموک شدم و در مورد کتاب با این که خیلی چیزا اماده کرده بودم که بگم ولی حافظ خیلی بهتر از من میگه:

یک قصه بیش نیست غم عشق وین عجب
کز هر زبان که میشنوم نامکرر است
  • Huzur
  • Iron Earth, Copper Sky
  • Anayurt Oteli
  • Tutunamayanlar
  • İçimizdeki Şeytan
  • Bizim Büyük Çaresizliğimiz
  • Making Marriage Simple: Ten Truths for Changing the Relationship You Have into the One You Want
  • Amat
  • Semaver
  • Human Landscapes from My Country: An Epic Novel in Verse
  • Bir Gün Tek Başına
  • Yüksek Topuklar
Orhan Pamuk was born in Istanbul in 1952 and grew up in a large family similar to those which he describes in his novels Cevdet Bey and His Sons and The Black Book, in the wealthy westernised district of Nisantasi. As he writes in his autobiographical book Istanbul, from his childhood until the age of 22 he devoted himself largely to painting and dreamed of becoming an artist. After graduating fro ...more
More about Orhan Pamuk

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Open City
    $12.99 $1.99
“Real museums are places where Time is transformed into Space.” 257 likes
“In fact no one recognizes the happiest moment of their lives as they are living it. It may well be that, in a moment of joy, one might sincerely believe that they are living that golden instant "now," even having lived such a moment before, but whatever they say, in one part of their hearts they still believe in the certainty of a happier moment to come. Because how could anyone, and particularly anyone who is still young, carry on with the belief that everything could only get worse: If a person is happy enough to think he has reached the happiest moment of his life, he will be hopeful enough to believe his future will be just as beautiful, more so.” 218 likes