Start by marking “Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach Featuring the Internet” as Want to Read:
Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach Featuring the Internet

Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach Featuring the Internet

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  1,227 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Appropriate for a first course on computer networking, this textbook describes the architecture and function of the application, transport, network, and link layers of the internet protocol stack, then examines audio and video networking applications, the underpinnings of encryption and network security, and the key issues of network management.
Published 2005 by Addison Wesley Publishing Company (first published November 2000)

Anton Petrov
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anton by: RWTH University
Shelves: in-english, tech
It's an amazing book about Computer Networking. Gave me a great in-depth intuition of how the Internet works and all such networks in general.

The approach from the Application layer downwards was just the right one for me. I had tried to learn computer networks before - starting from the lowest layer - and didn't get very far. I was lost and bored by all the details. The cherry of the cake was not coming any time soon. Starting from the cherry (this book's approach) really spiced my appetite fo
Zori
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice and understandable. Makes you excited about the Internet. I enjoy reading the interviews featured in every chapter (like the one with Marc Andreessen included in the sixth edition).
YouKneeK
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-textbook
This textbook was required reading for a Computer Networking course. As far as college textbooks go, it was pretty good. I learned the material from it that I needed to learn. The textbook was well-organized, and it was easy to understand. It had quite a few analogies and real-world examples that aided in understanding.

For me, this textbook was a pretty dry read and I sometimes had trouble pushing through the weekly reading assignments. However, networks are not an aspect of Computer Science th
Daniel
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best technical books I've read. It explains concepts in a very clear manner and it often uses analogies which help to enforce the material (i.e. making connection to things you already know will help in retaining the material). The approach it takes, as per title, is a top down approach which I find to prefer over a bottom-up one. It starts with an overview of networking then proceeds from the "Application Layer", adding more and more details as the chapters progress. This boo ...more
Roberto!
Aug 23, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my enemies.
Shelves: sludge-factory
Only an idiot would read this book.
Erwin
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Een goed boek over computernetwerken. Wie net zo goed met computers zoals ik ben wil worden moet het zeker van kaft tot kaft lezen.
Dr-kholoud Elbatsh
the best textbook for computer networking courses
Marcin
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cs-it
Great form of an introduction to the networking field, perhaps a little too simplified for an IT student, but overtly simplistic enough for someone embarking on the journey down the bit-stream. This might be the books strength, since the harder topics are easily described and easier do not need any real-life translations. The book follows the idea of top-down approach through both ranges of topics discussed and the language used, as the abstraction level is further abstracted to real-life termin ...more
rigelk
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
The top-down approach is here the key to the book’s success, and the main reason you should read it. It begins with what we see of networks to introduce more abstract concepts (ISO 7498), keeping only the useful parts of them. A must read to understand networks in general from the ground down.

For students, the book provides very useful exercises, making that book a good side-course asset. Plus the approach lets you choose what you want to read! (i.e. reading 50% and getting away with it for the
Kadir Korkmaz
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bilgisayar ağları üzerine eğlenceli, anlatımı güzel bir kitap.

Rhapsody
Mar 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: compsci students with no/little exposure to networks
Shelves: science, nonfiction
A really nice textbook. Each chapter covers a different network layer. It's very readable with pretty decent explanations and lots of online resources (not that I used those resources even once, but our prof used some of them in class). The traceroute drills I found totally useless and annoying. The rest of the homework problems from the book weren't too bad. It's not a really high-level book or anything, but it's pretty thorough it breadth. One of my peers who'd worked in networks (in industry) ...more
Thomas
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will give you a good understanding of how networks work. In my opinion it is not a book for specialists as you won't have an in-depth presentation of every protocol except for TCP/UDP/IP, but it can be used as a reference for those who have to deal with some network issues (if you are a programmer for instance).
Rafael Magalhães
Excelente introdução ao contexto de Redes de Computadores e a Internet. A abordagem é especialmente boa para estudantes de ciencias da computação em seus primeiros períodos, que estão ávidos por programação. As entrevistas e questões de estudo são ótimos complementos para auxiliar o leitor.
Recomendo!
Fay Wu
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finally learned how the internet works! Quality book for giving an amazing overview of the different concepts and protocols used in networking and an explanation for why our web is implemented in the way it is. It's the textbook we used for my networking fundamentals class at school and it was fun and easy to read.
Andrew Obrigewitsch
This book is amazingly compressive, yet understandable. I must say that I learned more than I ever imagined about networking. Seeing that my job is web development, I was amazed at how little I actually knew about the infrastructure and design of the internet and the protocols which it operates on.
Saeed
Do you have any advice for students about the Internet and networking security?
Learning the mechanisms is the easy part. Learning how to "think paranoid" is harder. You have to remember that probability distributions don't apply -the attackers can and will find improbable conditions. And the details matter -a lot.
Antonio Costa
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend it. Very good for students, because of the way things are explained. Good pedagogical approach, even considering the uncommon top down approach (for applications to physical layer). It is very difficult to teach communications while traversing the protocol stack from top to bottom! I clearly prefer the bottom up. Yet the book is useful for both approaches.
Moataz
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very nice book, which introduces the computer networking in a very good manner, but the only one drawback of the book that it gives a lot of examples which made reading and studying this book takes longer time.
Joan
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating and well written textbook-style introduction to how the Internet functions. You don't need much (or maybe any) technical background to read and grasp the scale of the Internet and how the pieces come together.
Bryan Doan
Oct 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ite-115
This book seems like it would really help me gain a better understanding about the world of networking. Although I already have a small understanding about networking, I really want to continue my learning about this because it really interests me and I would like to pursue this as a career.
Emily Bragg
Perfectly adequate if you can deal with 'this is the top overview, and we'll drill down later' - it's quite up front about being top-down, but I wanted more low-level detail at literally every point of the book.
Hosein
Mar 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: network, درسی
It was our syllabus for the course Network Management in Master degree.
I am glad to say that I really enjoyed reading it since it learned me what I will be needed in the future's workspace.
Here I recommend it to Network guys along with Cisco books
Daniel Apatiga
Didn't read the last few chapters, but I did not skim the ones before.

This was a very informative book. I will apply what I learned to my sister's business when I visit her and at a future job location.
Narsireddy
Jun 12, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
i am the faculty of m.tech students
Erik
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was...okay.
Kartik Singhal
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kartik by: Dhandeep
Shelves: partially-read, cs, josiah
Really nice book to learn fundamentals of networking technology. Specially liked the interviews given at the end of each chapter of renowned personalities in their respective fields.
Gerson
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book for undergraduate students, after all it is a book with a good didatic.
João Fernandes
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good complement to undergraduate courses on computer networks.
  • Operating System Concepts
  • Programming Language Pragmatics
  • Engineering a Compiler
  • Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications
  • Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach
  • The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1)
  • Introduction to Algorithms
  • Introduction to the Theory of Computation
  • Algorithm Design
  • C++: How to Program
  • Java Software Solutions (Java 5.0 version): Foundations of Program Design
  • Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »