Start by marking “Looking After Louis” as Want to Read:
Looking After Louis

Looking After Louis

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  133 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Louis has autism, but through imagination, kindness, and a special game of soccer, his classmates find a way to join him in his world. This powerful story highlights the advantages of inclusion for both children with autism and their classmates. Full color.
Published January 1st 2004 by Albert Whitman & Company (first published December 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Looking After Louis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Looking After Louis

Alice Reedy
Sep 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Looking after Louis is an ambitious children’s book, and author Lesley Ely’s intentions are undoubtedly positive as she depicts a young boy with Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) making progress in an inclusive classroom setting. However, I found this book to be slightly problematic in its execution.

Louis is the new boy at the unnamed female narrator’s school. She describes with curiosity how Louis is ‘not quite like the rest of us’, commenting on his frequent repetition of other people’s words
Sam
Nov 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Looking After Louis is a story about an autistic boy and how his classmates learn to include him in their game of football. This book is mostly aimed at KS1 and introduces children to the issue of autism, this would be particularly useful to help children understand the condition if there was an autistic child in their class. Although it doesn't cover the topic of autism in any great detail it would be a good way to introduce the topic, it would also be useful to introduce the general topic of i ...more
Courtney Angelo
I am SO glad I picked this book off the shelf. As soon as I began reading, I realized Louis demonstrated symptoms of Autism. What an amazing idea to put a character like Louis into a children's book; people of all ages are entered into a world of fear and confusion, and they leave the world accepting and understanding. The author showed exactly that: the students made fun of Louis at first, but by the end of the story, they were able to join his world. I would recommend this book to children and ...more
Laura Clayton
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Plot:
A story telling the tale of a new boy at school, Louis, who is noticeably ‘different’ from others. The authors describe how Louis sits and stares, sometimes his classmates do not know what he is thinking, how he speaks out of turn, to which the class at times find amusing and the teachers do not get cross over and how he repeats a lot of things when spoken to or on being asked a question. The story portrays classroom and friendship dynamics and how some classmates become annoyed with Lo
Nazhath
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Looking after Louis by Leslie Ely

When a new boy called Louis joins Miss Owlie’s classroom, the other children instantly become aware of his difference. It suggests that Louis has Autism, as he doesn’t talk to the other students, tends to repeat what they say and doesn’t play with anyone at break time. A girl who sits next to Louis in class tries to befriend him and suggests new things to try and play with but is unable to build a bond with Louis.

However, during one break time, Louis stumbles ac
Tam
Apr 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: school
The back of this book says, "Louis has autism, but through imagination, kindness, and a special game of soccer, his classmates find a way to join him in his world. Then they can include Louis in theirs."

As the parent of a high-functioning Autistic child, I don't think this book gave any insight into Autism. The spectrum is so large and I'm guessing by the way this child doesn't talk to others and can't draw a recognizable picture that he must have a severe case of it. If you're reading this book
Ceara Gummer
Louis is different, what we now call 'special' or 'with special needs'. He's autistic and the little girl who sits next to him at school, tries to help him. Sometimes though, it doesn't seem fair. She looks after Louis and Louis is allowed to play football with Sam in lesson time. Why does Miss Owlie let Sam and Louis go into the playground in lesson time? She confronts Miss Owlie. And the teacher gently confronts her. ''What do you think about it?'And she looks at her 'as if she expected my ans ...more
Eva Leger
Oct 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Eva by: library
Shelves: julias-books
Besides my wish that the book would have been slightly more direct in why Louis acted the way he acted the book is great. Illustrations are fine, the story is on point, etc. I liked how the whole book was all great - the kids at first had no idea how to handle Louis who is autistic. One girl goes out of her way repeatedly but others direct anger at him when he gets in their way during a soccer game. It's insinuated that those same kids come to learn more about Louis because they end up inviting ...more
Rachel
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book got me right in the heart.

When I first started as a Special Education Assistant, I worked one-on-one with a boy very, very similar to Louis. He also used echolation and loved making art. More importantly, like all the special kids I worked closely with, he really loved the attention and approval of his peers. It can be hard to tell when a kid with severe autism feels happy and proud unless you know them well, but feeling like a part of things with other kids will really make it happen.
Rebecca Osburn
Jun 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a fantastic picture book to use when a child with autism is included in your classroom. It goes through a day in a classroom with Louis, a child who has autism. The girl that sits next to him tells the story from her point of view. It depicts positive friendships and what should be common classroom traits that come along with inclusion, such as an aide in the room and a teacher that is flexible and understanding. The book portrays a tolerant attitude towards all of the children and promo ...more
Karen
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This story explores differences through disabilities. It is about a girl named Emma and her friend, Louis. Louis is new to school and has autism. Emma cares for Louis and narrates the story by talking about how she “looks after” him. Other students tease him and Emma wonders why Louis sometimes gets special treatment. Emma learns about different kinds of friends and how to be a better friend.

With this story students can write a personal journal in which they can talk about how the book made the
Jessica
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: classroom
This book did not meet my expectations of introducing students who have Autism into an inclusion classroom. I feel like when reading this to kids they will not understand what is going on. They will know that Louis is "special" but the story doesn't go in to details of why he is special. This book wasn't direct at all, it didn't explain any of the behaviors and emotions Louis was expressing. Also, there is a blurb in the back of the book about Autism that does not use age appropriate words to de ...more
Sian
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is about an autistic child called Louis who catches the eye of another child named Emma as she notices that he is different. It follows her journey in establishing a level of understanding and endearment for Louis and how she can help him to feel more apart of the class.
This book is great for explaining to young children how autism can affect behavior and promoting tolerance and understanding of others.I would recommend this book for use within a Reception or KS1 class as it is great f
Amy  A.
Jul 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Looking After Louis is a story about a young boy with Autism who joins a class of young children. The story is told through the eyes of Louis' classmate. At first she thinks Louis is odd because he repeats what other people say and doesn't play with the other kids at recess. Over time, however, she gets to know Louis and she finds out that Louis likes to play ball with the other students and shows them all in a picture he drew. Louis even got to go outside and play soccer with his friends after ...more
528_Tracy
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1-mc
Looking After Louis tells the story of Louis, an autistic boy, who is embraced by his classmates. Everyone in class knows that Louis is special, so they look after him and take care to include him in their games. One day, Sam invites Louis to play soccer with him, and Louis has the time of his life. This book is written for grades 1-4, and would be great for a unit on friendship or inclusion. It could also be used by students in older grades to study autism.
Kandice Buck
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: special-ed
This is about a boy name Louis who has Autism. It explains how Louis speaks but does not say complete sentences. The little girl notices how Louis does not get in trouble for different things that she would get in trouble for.By the end of the book she is a little upset because he is getting special treatment. Her teacher teaches her that some people get to break the rules. The little girl becomes understanding of Louis and accepts him for who he is.
B
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Although Louis, a boy with autism, is taught in a regular classroom, his lack of speaking and his different reactions to the other kids and the other activitities such as soccer over recess shows that in some ways he is clearly different. The teachers' encouraging and tolerant appproach to him and the many ways the other kids find to communicate with him, shows how well this can work.
Candice Call
Another great book for introducing a class to people with special needs. I really enjoy how the setting takes place in a classroom becuase it gives students something that they are able to relate to and shows how some children may have differnt characteristics and get speical "treatment" becuase of that.
Kaitlin
This is a great book to introduce to students especially since inclusion in the classroom is becoming more and more popular. This teaches students that not all students learn the same or attend school in the normal way. It was a fun book that helps teachers explain students with disabilities in their classrooms.
Kayce
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beautiful pictures, great book about a student with a disability and how the other students struggle to know how to interact with Louis. Great book about differences, students can relate and parents will treasure it. Will be buying this book for my classroom.
Shannon
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A great book to use when discussing that fair is not always equal, which many students struggle to understand. Older students would be more insightful to see what is actually going on. Younger students would need more discussion while someone was reading it to or with them.
Brenda Cregor
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
With so many children with special needs being fully included in mainstream classrooms, books like this are important.
Lumi / Otso
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
my kid is captivated by this story. it is really sweet and cute and give a good springboard for discussing how different people's brains work differently.
Kelsi Bowman
This is a book about a new student that is a little bit different than the rest of the class. It shows that just because a classmate has autism doesn't mean they can't be included.
Diana Pettis
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked this book because it explains to children that everyone is different and that they should be celebrated for what they can do well. I would use this reading aloud to grade 3 and up.
Stephanie
Jul 16, 2013 rated it liked it
A book about mainstreaming a child (Louis) with autism. His classmates sometimes tease him but the girl who sits next to him begins to understand more about him as she looks out for him at school.
Tess Robar
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story is about a young boy named Louis who is 'not quite like' other children. He has an Autistic Spectrum Disorder so he often stares into space and repeats what people say to him back to them. When the boys at recess try to play football, he just runs around with his arms in the air. Sam notices that Louis wants to play and tries to include him. Louis' class works hard to understand him.

I gave this book five stars because I thought it taught an extremely important lesson. It showed how ac
Melissa
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little girl is puzzled by her classmate, Louis', behavior. He often repeats what is said to him, he doesn't follow the rules when kids play soccer, and he has a hard time interacting with his peers. By the end, she realizes that differences make people special. Thought it never says the word "autism," this book would be a useful tool to teach young children about it.

Instructional suggestions: autism awareness, questioning, inferring, connecting, characterization, theme
Genres: realistic fiction
Jenna Elliott
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This realistic fiction children’s picture book is excellent. When reading the book, I’ve noticed how certain words are spelled differently than normal. After continuing reading the book, I found out the author is from the United Kingdom and therefore, the spelling and vocabulary is quite different than if you were reading it from an American perspective. For example, the author used the term "football" to refer to "soccer'. The book is a lovely book about a boy with autism. The visuals go with t ...more
Ryan Taylor
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Inclusion book about involving Louis in a game of soccer
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Very Inappropriate Word
  • The Hair of Zoe Fleefenbacher Goes to School
  • Spuds
  • Can I tell you about Asperger Syndrome?: A guide for friends and family
  • The Survival Guide for Kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders (And Their Parents)