Start by marking “To War With Wellington: From The Peninsula To Waterloo” as Want to Read:
To War With Wellington: From The Peninsula To Waterloo

To War With Wellington: From The Peninsula To Waterloo

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  116 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
This is the seven-year campaign that saved Europe from Napoleon told by those who were there. What made Arthur Duke of Wellington the military genius who was never defeated in battle? Peter Snow recalls how Wellington evolved from a backward, sensitive schoolboy into the aloof but brilliant commander.
Published September 1st 2010 by John Murray Publishers (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about To War With Wellington, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To War With Wellington

Martin
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Drawing a lot of material from Memoirs of the period, the author traces the campaigns of Arthur Wellesly, The Duke of Wellington. Both officers and men of the British and German troops that served with him in The Peninsular and Waterloo, and other soldiers of Hanoverian, Nassau and Dutch-Belgian origin from the latter battle, help to give voice to the armies that fought Napoleon and his Marshals. The period enthusiast and wargamer will find a lot of good stuff, although to ground has been trampl ...more
Alexander Slocombe
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Possibly one of the best history books available (the other being Beever's World War II). History books of this quality show you the moments that (for me) make history real. The quiet cigar in the rain before Waterloo, the fury of Wellington over his men, the realities of the march through Spain. Highly recommend.
Claig Liechtenstein
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes the Napoleonic era especially Britain and the Duke Of Wellington. One would enjoy this book if they have read the other books by Peter Snow and his brother, Dan Snow.
The book has 317 pages of story but all together has 384 pages, including the glossary and stuff. The book tells the story of Arthur Wellesley from boyhood to defeating Napoleon at his last battle, and why he was called the Duke of Wellington. It tells of the Duke of Wellington’s great
Andrew Fish
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Military histories are not something I normally go for, but caught short of fresh reading material, I picked this one up from my wife's finished pile (my wife being greatly interested in the Napoleonic Wars). The result was a pleasant surprise.

What Peter Snow has done is to humanize the conflict. There are, as expected, the usual block diagrams of troop arrangements, but instead of harping on the tactical advantages of hills or the importance of securing flanks, Snow's emphasis is, instead, on t
'Aussie Rick'
Jun 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: napoleonic
This new biography on the Duke of Wellington by Peter Snow is an excellent addition to the many books on this British General. The book mainly covers Wellington’s time in the Peninsular with fourteen of twenty chapters devoted to that campaign. The final four chapters obviously cover the lead up to, and the conclusion of, the Battle of Waterloo.

In just over 316 pages the author provides an excellent account of this period and Wellington’s role in defeating Napoleonic France. Although I may not
Swords & Spectres
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A big fan of all things Napoleonic era, I saw this and just had to have it. It is as good as I had hoped and then some.

The way Peter Snow writes gets the reader drawn into that time and keeps you turning the page eager for more. It is filled with everything from historical notes to anecdotes from real soldiers of the time. My favourite being from a captain of the rifle regiment who found his men stranded onboard a ship for several days whilst docked. He said that the delay was tedious and dull b
Tom Paver
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A rip-roaringly good read that would stir any man's heart - or at least the heart of any man suspicious of France and all its doings.

I simply couldn't put it down as we marched from one great battle to another, viewing the whole Peninsula enterprise through the written records of the men who were there throughout, from 1807 all the way to Waterloo in 1815.

Arthur Wellesley's leadership, drive and professionalism shines through and you are constantly left wondering why on earth the French (a) let
Jack Gibson
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographical
An extensively well sourced and highly engaging narrative about the life and times of Wellington, his men and the Peninsular Campaign, strongly built up from writings of those who were actually there.

A different period of history compared to my normal reading, but right from the start I found this a refreshingly welcome episode to my reading-life. An interesting point in British Imperial history.

This book is all the more richer for the artistic illustrations within.

Whether you want an engaging
Ian Rees
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, history
Superbly readable account of the Duke of Wellington's campaigns in the Peninsula War and up to Waterloo. Good insights into his character and a very interesting cross references from the diaries of those who accompanied him. Since many of these were from the lower army ranks, their observations and records give a valuable human angle to the story. It is not just about the Duke's battles, but about the people who experienced them with him. One observation: since the book is about what it meant to ...more
Matt
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting book with a good strong narrative. I enjoyed the final chapter very much, it was interesting to find out what happened to those who were instrumental to the campaigns it reminded me of the end of Band of Brothers, where the soldiers all go their seperate ways. Quite moving.
Rich Shepherd
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Superb read with enough personal narrative to contextualise the strategy and tactics Wellington employed. The last section about Waterloo could not be put down drawing you into the battle by the threads of the characters involved, not least Napoleon.

Luke O'Neill
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
very readable but no real new revealations, good for a general overview of Wellington but too vague on the battles
Michael Cargill Cargill
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Interesting stuff, for those who are interested in history!
Peter Thorn
Troy
Mar 19, 2013
David Stimpson
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
very interesting and eye opening book ..
Christopher Proffitt