Start by marking “The Divine Nine: The History of African American Fraternities and Sororities” as Want to Read:
The Divine Nine: The History of African American Fraternities and Sororities

The Divine Nine: The History of African American Fraternities and Sororities

National Bestseller!

America's black fraternities and sororities are a unique and vital part of 20th century African American history, providing young black achievers with opportunities to support each other while they serve their communities and the nation.

From pioneering work in the suffragette movement to extraordinary strides during the Civil Rights era to life-changin
Published January 1st 2001 by Kensington (first published 2000)

Start your review of The Divine Nine: The History of African American Fraternities and Sororities
Dee's Reading Zone
"The Divine Nine: ..." focused on the history of African-American fraternities and sororities in America. It was rich with the origin and culture of these historical frats/sororities.

If you like learning about the founding members along with the men and women who joined these rich traditions, then you will really enjoy reading this thought-provoking book.

5 HISTORICAL STARS *****
Shannan
May 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a member of one of the D9 sororities (Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.), I found this book to be an insightful and unbiased resource for those interested in the historical perspective behind the Black Greek Letter Organizations.
David Ward
The Divine Nine: The History of African American Fraternities and Sororities by Lawrence C. Ross Jr. (Kensington Publishing Corp. 2000) (371.85). This volume focuses on the histories and ideals of the African-American fraternities and sororities whose members self-identify as being members of one of "The Divine Nine." The volume never makes clear whether there are any other black Greek fraternal organizations in addition to these nine. The "Divine Nine" consists of five fraternities and four sor ...more
Tanisha
This was like the must read in college!! haha...because everyone wanted to join a sorority!! But it was informative and really helped me understand what the sororities were really about...and it wasn't just what I was seeing on campus!
Vanessa
Jul 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It provides a great knowledge on the Africian American Greek System. They go thru the history, challenges, service and mention notable members.
Sam
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lawrence C. Ross writes a one-volume history of the nine African-American fraternities and sororities of the National Pan-Hellenic Council--also known as the Divine Nine--to bundle each organization's histories together for the first time for new readers. This work includes Alpha Phi Alpha, Alpha Kappa Alpha, Kappa Alpha Psi, Omega Psi Phi, Delta Sigma Theta, Phi Beta Sigma, Zeta Phi Beta, Sigma Gamma Rho, and Iota Phi Theta. Each chapter begins with a brief descriptive history of a single organ ...more
Talia
May 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have mixed feelings about this one. I liked how the book provided background and history about each organization. I did not like the format of the book. It went from background history, to interviews with current chapters, back to history. Too much jumping around for me. I couldn’t follow it.

I didn’t read it in its entirety. Instead, I found it more useful to jump around and read the history of each organization, then flip through stories about the famous people from each organization.

I’m in
Jacqulyn
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So interesting to learn of the origins, traditions, and contributions made by these fraternal organizations. They are dedicated not only to the advancement of their individual members, but to their communities, the environment, and humanity. Their membership rolls read like a Who's Who in every field. Many were interviewed and featured in this book. Each testified to the gains they received as members and their dedication to pay it forward for future generations.
Shana
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish there would have been more information about the Black fraternal movement generally, and also about why the organizations do the things they do (e.g., rationale behind their intake process, why they call new member classes “lines,” etc). But, maybe that’s not for outside minds to know! Lawrence Ross is an incredible author and I appreciate his commitment to furthering knowledge about this topic.
Jessica Davis
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
excellent textbook with a great deal of interesting information.
Kevin Chik
Dec 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very informative, great to learn the history of people changing other peoples lives in college.
Laurie
Mar 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it and learned a lot.
Winona
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book that gives you the history of the African American Greek organizations.
Gwendolyn Mayo
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Dad is a member of Omega Psi Phi, my Godmother is a Zeta and my cousins are AKA's. The Divine Nine was suggested to me by my Dad when he became a Q. The book is well written and complete.
Katie
Oct 23, 2013
Dee
Aug 18, 2014
Jeffrey D. Breckenridge
rated it did not like it
Apr 20, 2015
Mar 29, 2012
Malik Gibson
Jan 13, 2015

• African American Fraternities and Sororities: The Legacy and the Vision
  • Black Greek 101: The Culture, Customs, and Challenges of Black Fraternities and Sororities
  • In Search of Sisterhood: Delta Sigma Theta and the Challenge of the Black Sorority Movement
  • The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration
  • Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
  • The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America
  • This is a Book
  • Hidden Figures
  • The Collected Poems
  • Point Your Face at This: Drawings
  • Dark Matter and the Dinosaurs: The Astounding Interconnectedness of the Universe
  • The Story of More: How We Got to Climate Change and Where to Go from Here
  • Disciplining Women: Alpha Kappa Alpha, Black Counterpublics, and the Cultural Politics of Black Sororities
  • The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures
  • The Enneagram Type 4: The Romantic Individualist
  • Unashamed
  • Woke Church: An Urgent Call for Christians in America to Confront Racism and Injustice
  • Let Love Have the Last Word
Lawrence Ross attended both the University of California, Berkeley, and the University of California, Los Angeles, where he earned a bachelor’s degree in History. Ross also has a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) degree in screenwriting from the UCLA School of Theater, Film, and Television.

Ross began his writing career in the mid 1990s as the managing editor of Rap Sheet magazine, the west coast’s first h