Start by marking “The Modern Faerie Tales: Tithe; Valiant; Ironside (Modern Faerie Tales, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Modern Faerie Tales: Tithe; Valiant; Ironside (Modern Faerie Tales, #1-3)

The Modern Faerie Tales: Tithe; Valiant; Ironside

(Modern Faerie Tales #1-3)

In Tithe, sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she drifts from place to place with her mother’s rock band until an ominous attack forces Kaye back to her childhood home. There, amid the blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient and violent power struggle between two rival faerie kingdoms—a struggle that
Published October 19th 2010 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about The Modern Faerie Tales, please sign up.
Missie✨ No, there should also be a hard copy available at book stores near you.

Start your review of The Modern Faerie Tales: Tithe; Valiant; Ironside (Modern Faerie Tales, #1-3)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I enjoyed this chunker! I have never read these stories before, or at least don’t remember if I did 🤔

Anyway, it’s Holly Black and I love her!!

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Helena of Eretz ✰
I’m not going to lie. These were pretty mediocre books. I probably wouldn’t have finished them if I hadn’t developed a crush on the sexy faery knight, Roiben. It also didn’t help that the sexy elf king, Thranduil from The Hobbit, was who I was imagining in my head! All in all, these were rather enjoyable, even though they weren’t that well-written. You can really see how much Holly Black has improved as a writer, from her début novel here to her more current ones.

PSA: While this is marketed to
Faith M ✨
Yikes 😬

Sooo this changed a ton of stuff but not necessarily for the better. Most of it was kept the same, and the majority of the edits were made to either make the writing more politically correct (usually in a really awkward, Riverdale-esque way) or to connect this series with the Folk of the Air trilogy by spewing “the High Court” every chance it could.

Thanks, I hate it.

I wouldn’t mind it if it was stated that there would be significant changes made. A notice in the beginning, at least, would
♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
I’m scared to read this because I know authors grow in their writing and skill(usually) but here’s hoping no matter what I can appreciate it.
rain
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1. Tithe—★★★★
2. Valiant—★★★
3. Ironside—★★★★★

THANK THE GODS FOR THIS BOOK. I've been wanting to read these stories ever since I read The Cruel Prince and now I finally did it. I am happy that I was able to come back to Holly Black's dark, magical, and atmospheric writing which made me forget the problems of reality for a while (WHY IS 2020 A HUGE DUMPSTER FIRE THO. I wanted to be a protagonist of a sci fi book but I didn't ask for this apocalyptic shz).

I love how cleverly-written all these books
Katie (patronusaurus reads)
In this bind-up of faerie stories, Holly Black's writing style is as strong as ever, but her plotting and characterization leaves a LOT to be desired.

I liked seeing how the world of Faerie and Ironside interact with one another in these books, but things just. Sort of. Happen. There's a lot of plot conveniences that were a little boring to me. I liked the main characters fine, but I wish we had gotten to know them a little better, especially Val.

Overall, this series feels like a product of its e
Heba (Bookaholic Throne)
Finally finished after reading it for 3 month, actually it wasn't a good experience! What is this ending! I'm trying not to be angry 😥
ᴄᴏʟᴇᴛᴛᴇ ♡ (sʜᴇ/ʜᴇʀ)
Okay so like after I finished Holly Black’s The Wicked King (which btw WRECKED ME!), I wanted to start reading her others series, Modern Faerie Tales. But as I went to but the first book, I saw that there’s a trilogy bind-up releasing on June with a GORGEOUS cover and I’m like....GUYS I NEED IT!!! But like no one’s mentioning it in the Book Community, heck even Holly Black isn’t saying anything. Well I guess I’m the only one who knows of this bind-up release.... Now I wait.
My Bookish Delights
I didn't have the best relationship with these books the first time I read them. But it's been a couple years and I wanted to reread anyway since Roiben and Kaye were mentioned in the Cruel Prince book. So here we go.

Tithe 3 stars

This was definitely a good time. I paid a bit more attention to what was going on and I enjoyed it, but I don't know if I really enjoyed it. I like Roiben and Kaye. The plot kind of felt all over the place, but I really love Black's Faerie. They are so dark and creepy.
Eleanor (bookishcourtier)
2.5

Because, there is no other separate editions of this bind up, Goodreads is going to tell me I have only read Tithe. I have not. I have read the entire series, and this is my rating overall.

Tithe: ★★.5
Valiant: ★★★
Ironside: ★★

There were elements of these books that I liked, but ultimately they were a bit of a hot mess.
Laura-Lea ♡
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"'Smallish sects of beings, of which Faerie is certainly one, require enemies to give them purpose. Think on Milton's angels. Was not his God wise in giving them a devil to fight?'" (162)

Tithe :: Upon completion, I immediately wanted to re-read this book. I actually first read this over a decade ago but fell in love all over again. It was interesting to read these books again from much more mature eyes. I simply cannot emphasize enough how much I love Holly Black's storytelling. She is a master
Christine Spoors
Look at me adding this as just one book when it’s actually a bind up of three: Tithe, Valiant and Ironside. It’s ridiculous to try and review three books in one, so I’ll not say much haha. This was a fun adventure, I did find that the second book felt quite unnecessary to the overall story, but I did enjoy being back in Black’s faerie version of our world.

I had such mixed feelings over these. The first came out in 2004, and so one minute I was laughing to myself imagining the clothes and the thi
Ben Howard
Tithe: ★★.5/5
Valiant: ★★★/5
Ironside: ★★★★/5
The Lament of Lutie-Loo: ★★★★★/5

Apparently, I read Tithe back in 2012, and I still have it on my shelf, but I remembered nothing about it. I thought I did, but I think I was getting it mixed up with Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception by Maggie Stiefvater.

So glad I stuck with this because Ironside was so good!

Tithe had my favourite characters: Corny. Valiant had my favourite love interest: Ravus. And Ironside just had everything. And the short story
theresa
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i finished Tithe and this is where am i going to stop for now.maybe i will pick up the others from the series,maybe not.more likely i will stick to Holly’s newer books.
Baeleigh
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG SO GOOD!!!!!! IT'S AMAZING!!!!
Susan Canales
Jul 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Read the first 100 pages and was so uninterested in the story that I couldn’t continue. I liked Holly Black’s “The Folk in the Air” series. I thought I would give this a try, but no. The characters are all unlikable and the story was weak. This is one of only two books this year that I dnf’ed.
EA Solinas
Stories about a girl who finds out she's part/all faerie and becomes enmeshed in that world are a dime a dozen now. But Holly Black first started this trend, with the darkly glittering "Modern Faerie Tales: Tithe; Valiant; Ironside." This trilogy of clever, entrancing little books bring a bit of urban grime to the faerie world without sacrificing any of its beauty.

In "Tithe," Kaye Fierch has spent years traveling with her mother's rock band, until one night when her mom's boyfriend/guitarist tri
Sara
There are minor spoilers in the following reviews!

🍂Tithe 4 stars
This was cute. Actually, I was excited to read about Kaye but didn’t realise that it was that Kaye. And so it was about Kaye and Roiben. Sweet!

I loved them both already in The Folk of the Air but now I love them even more! Kaye is a strong, brave and loyal she-pixie we all want to be friends with, and Roiben is the faerie knight we all need. What else do you need?

But this story had a very different feeling to it than The Folk of
Sin
Overall I felt the trilogy was a great exploration into faerie, as if it were a world plausibly existing alongside our own, with creatures and glamours galore.

Tithe
An MC angsty enough to kindle a flame of recognition from my younger self, with sections of the writing bringing to mind fanfics with Band Ts and stories on Quizilla, Tithe is seductive, reaching for guilty pleasures. A colourful, rich and enchanting world, laying out faeries and wonderous glamours alongside a gritty duplicity that is
Denise Pouw
3/5⭐️

after Kaye saves the life of an unknown man in the woods near her grandmother's house, she doesn't know the secrets she will uncover about her and her life. She becomes a pawn in the power struggle between the Seelie and the Unseelie court.

The story started at a very slow space and for me, it felt more like the story was passing by. I forgot a lot of details and it was very confusing.
*spoiler*
Then things started to happen for example Janet dies, Corny has gotten this weird obsession and th
Brittany | BookRamblings
A collection of three books by Holly Black, I was hesitant to start after being disappointed by The Cruel Prince. However, the blurb of this one enticed me more; it reminded me of Julie Kagawa's fae series (The Iron King) which I loved several years back.

Tithe:
This book follows Kaye as she discovers she's actually a pixie who was brought to the human world at birth and changed for her mum's real daughter. As she gets caught up in faerie politics, Kaye finds herself chosen as the sacrifice in
Zan
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Black's writing definitely doesn't engage quite as well in these as in The Folk of the Air, but they were still generally fun stories to read

I recognized the Court of Termites from her other books, but didn't make the connections with the names of the characters until after I finished reading.

generally, I would say that I don't regret reading these, as I missed reading about faeries and deception and magic
K.
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finally finished these books! But also, I didn't want to because they are so much fun (but also dark, yes) . I like how Holly has built this whole faerie world and all its people and rules. I just didn't want to leave and that's new for me.
Caitlin Mcnamee
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Okay, I must rate each book separate from one another. Tithe gets a 4.75 stars, mainly cause the plot was good, but the pace was a teeny bit slow. Valiant gets the 4.5 treatment because of slower pace, and kind of lackluster characters throughout a good majority. Ironside actually the 5 stars for good pace, good characters, and all around good story. I won’t go into Spoilers because I can’t. Too much to say, honestly. I can say that my favorite characters are Kaye, Val, Roiben, Corny, Luis, And ...more
Selina
Mar 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, dnf
I just couldn't finish it. I don't know if it was the wrong time or just too gritty, but it's just not for me.
Andie
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yikes
Effy ♛
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have already read these books in ibook form but I would love to have the three bounded into one gorgeous book!
Natalie
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strength takes many forms, and most forms aren't always visible to the naked eye. Society epitomizes strength through the perfect female heroine, or through unattainable beauty standards, or through having a perfect, drug-free life. Not all of these things are possible. To be strong is to throw away the ideal of perfection everyone else sees and to take control of your own narrative. In the series, The Modern Faerie Tales, Holly Black introduces two female protagonists who do just that. By facin ...more
Chloe
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do not have words, I have no way to describe how immensely I have loved this book. There is too much to be said. The characters were wonderful and I love many of them dearly. The plot was very enjoyable and I just wished to binge it. Holly Black has not failed me yet. She must be as magical as the beings she writes of because how can a mere mortal tell tales of such magical and magnificent things. To any and all faerie lovers I recommend Hollys writing to you, it well draw you in and bind you. ...more
Megan (inkand.imagination)
Overall review: I’m very disheartened - I really wanted to love this trilogy because of how much I enjoyed The Folk of the Air. But these books just fell so far short. The characters felt underdeveloped, and the lush faerie world found in The Cruel Prince, The Wicked King, and The Queen of Nothing was sorely lacking. In many aspects these books reminded me of something I would’ve loved in high school; very young and juvenile with rebellious characters that don’t have much growth. But in other as ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Aurora Burning (The Aurora Cycle, #2)
  • The Witch's House: The Diary of Ellen, Vol. 1
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Cursebreaker #1 - #2
  • Blood & Honey (Serpent & Dove, #2)
  • Venom (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #2)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, #1)
  • Finale (Caraval, #3)
Holly Black is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of over thirty fantasy novels for kids and teens. She has been a finalist for an Eisner Award and the Lodestar Award, and the recipient of the Mythopoeic Award, a Nebula, and a Newbery Honor. Her books have been translated into 32 languages worldwide and adapted for film. She currently lives in New England with her husband and son in a house ...more

Modern Faerie Tales (3 books)
  • Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales, #1)
  • Valiant (Modern Faerie Tales #2)
  • Ironside (Modern Faerie Tales, #3)