Start by marking “Cut Throat Dog” as Want to Read:
Cut Throat Dog

Cut Throat Dog

2.68  ·  Rating details ·  31 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
International intrigue, murderous politics, and psychological suspense combine in a stylish literary thriller

An enigmatic Israeli who calls himself Shakespeare – because he’s got a way with words – finds himself jolted on a sidewalk in Manhattan: Is that who I think it is, he wonders, or am I crazy?

Who he thinks it is, is one of the world’s premier terrorists. Someo
Published November 2nd 2010 by Melville International Crime (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Cut Throat Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cut Throat Dog

Merril Speck
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
A literary thriller that forgot to thrill. Stylisticly, it was a facinating look at an Israeli spy who's been constructing false identities for so long he's losing track of which is actually his own. He's also a man so haunted by his past that he's adrift in time, literally falling into flashbacks that are more immediate to him than his current assignment. Unfortunately, the author fails to bring any sense of tension or stakes to the preceedings. Monologues, stories, and philisophical musings go ...more
Alexander Lesher
Apr 18, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is okay and sometimes really good. There are lots of disorienting elements, but one of the major problems that makes it even harder to follow are the occasional spelling errors. I reread things like three or four tomes to make sure that I was not just misreading things and that it was an error. One occurrence I recall was "he" where it should have been "the." This can be really distracting in a book where the world is perpetually turned upside down.
Having just read THE SPY WHO CAME IN
Marc
Apr 02, 2011 rated it liked it
More literary depth than I had expected. As I don't normally read much in the spy/thriller genre I made an exception for this Israeli author and was pleasantly surprised.
There are definitely flaws: the dialogue is extremely uneven, the actual plot veers towards the cartoonish, the pacing is a bit of a pain, and the denouement is a mixed bag. But the protagonist's emotional depth is turbulent enough to carry the novel, and there are sections where the author does an amazing job of presenting comp
Milo King
May 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
I found this book to be almost unreadable - in fact, I gave more time to it than I thought it deserved, because I really wanted it would gel into something coherent... but I finally gave up after 90 pages. It's not that I have an objection to experimental fiction, meta-fiction, or stream-of-consciousness if there seems to be a central story or discernible purpose for the work...but I lost patience with this one: reality, dreams, time-frame, character reference, plot arcs - were constantly shifti ...more
Mark
Nov 01, 2014 rated it liked it
this book can be confusing, with fluid changes of location, timeline, and even character names. it follows a retired israeli assassination squad member as he re-discovers some purpose to his life through one final act of violence. in the untangling of his story we learn of his own personal traumas and the traumas of a young israel, beset by violence and grief.

this book is challenging in style and in content. the swirl of the story is enough to keep the reader uncertain, but the violence is inesc
Josie
Mar 27, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is all over the place. Like when Netflix calls a movie "Edgy/Romantic/Steamy" this book is like all the attributes, every single one.

Romantic

Gritty

Strong Women

Understated

Cerebral

Crime

(maybe not understated)

(PS that was just a random set that I copied!)
Brian
Jul 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Schizophrenic tale of international terror and terrorists with inexplicable character and plot development. Possibly a literary experiment gone wrong but with an occasional or accidental insight. Feh!
caitlin
Jul 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
This could be just an unfortunate timing of reading this book but ugh...really? I literally have no idea what happened and don't care.

Epitaph should read: TRIED SO HARD.

Melville Press....you're starting to let me down.
Dav Hair
Nov 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Started strange. Got stranger. Gave up @ 32nd page. It seems like many stories in one. The problem is none makes sense.
gary pollack
Feb 09, 2011 rated it liked it
This novel was ok. It was creative in its navigation of different types of PTSD and how two souls can bond through fantasy and illusion. Hard to get through at times, though.
Jenny
En grymt konstig bok som jag känner att jag måste läsa igen för att se om jag verkligen hängde med.
Katherine Harbourt
Mar 31, 2014
Stacey
rated it did not like it
May 21, 2014