Start by marking “HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People (with featured article “Leadership That Gets Results,” by Daniel Goleman)” as Want to Read:

Managing people is fraught with challengeseven if you're a seasoned manager. Here's how to handle them.

If you read nothing else on managing people, read these 10 articles (featuring Leadership That Gets Results, by Daniel Goleman). We've combed through hundreds of Harvard Business Review articles and selected the most important ones to help you maximize your employees'
Published February 7th 2011 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published December 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People

Start your review of HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People (with featured article “Leadership That Gets Results,” by Daniel Goleman)
Sanjay
Jul 09, 2015 rated it liked it
2-3 articles are good. Not all. Could have been a better selection. Have read superior collections from HBR, like HBR 10 essential reads.
Ioana
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Does what it says on the tin - "If you read nothing else on managing people, read these definitive articles". I would say that these are especially catered towards newer managers, since they are on topics that more experienced managers would have already come across, such as how people learn, how to work together with your boss or overcoming biases. My favourite one was "Leadership that Gets Results", the one that the book actually opens with, which categorises the different approaches a manager ...more
Barry Davis
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellent collection of HBR articles by business leaders.
Goleman, Daniel - Leadership that Gets Results
Herzberg, Frederick - One More Time: How Do You Motivate Employees?
Manzoni, Jean-Francois and Barsoux, Jean-Louis - The Set-Up-To-Fail Syndrome
Walker, Carol A. - Saving Your Rookie Managers from Themselves
Buckingham, Marcus - What Great Managers Do
Kim, W. Chan and Mauborgne, Renee - Fair Process: Managing in the Knowledge Economy
Argyris, Chris - Teaching Smart People to Learn
Banaji,
Subbu Ananth
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great collection of chapters. Reading thru these chapters is like attending a management class with the masters like Daniel Goleman, Chris Argyris and Mahzarin Banaji. I enjoyed the chapters on "Saving your rookie managers" and "How (un)ethical are you?". These articles forced me to rethink common pitfalls and how I approach them. The best part is that many of these bookish reads can be put to use in real world environment right away. Many of them work. But, as the collection points out, ...more
Charles Hall III
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Good compilation of articles over managing people in a corporate setting. The writing and topics covered seem to be geared toward management neophytes like myself, and having very little knowledge on the subject, I found the ideas enlightening. I particularly appreciated the article on the hygiene-motivation theory, as well as those by Goleman, and Gabarro and Kotter. The rest were skim-worthy and a bit redundant but still helpful if the goal is to familiarize oneself with the culture of the ...more
Andrew
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a solid little management handbook with lots of good tips, lessons, and vignettes. The book lives up to its "Must Read" moniker, and I dare say should be read by all new managers. Some of these articles were written decades ago but are still relevant today, which speaks to the timeless nature of management principles. Even the most seasoned managers have room to improve, and so I thank HBR for curating the best essays for inclusion in this small, but really good book.
iTZKooPA
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-and-read
Some good reads in here if you're a coach and leader type or aspiring to be. There some blah as well. Find what's relevant and focus on those topics.

I am always pining for more articles on leading and coaching remote colleagues as someone in consulting space. Furthermore, there is also a dearth of content for leading and coaching those that aren't working on the same thing you are. We work for different clients often in completely different industry sectors. Book idea?
Andrea Tripp
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book touched upon many important concepts in organizational behavior including motivation, conflict, culture, group development and performance, innovation, and leadership. I believe this book has provided a few helpful tools that I may need to use in the future. The book was enjoyable to me because the authors often challenged my existing assumptions and allowed me to reflect upon my own proficiency at managing others.
Diana Ladeira
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
The articles within are interesting and helpful. Not all have the same quality or usability (at least for me). I believe this book is a touch base since managing people can have subtleties, but at its core it remains the same (some of the articles are over 30 years but are still valid nowadays).
Overall I recommend this book.
Vipul
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Some of the articles are too long and repetitive. I found that reading the 'Idea In Brief' and 'Idea In Practice' boxes first is a good way to get the gist of the full article. Lessons contained within this book are worthy of the reader's attention, even if you don't manage people in a professional capacity.
Lorraine
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
I recommend reading this book while taking refresher managing classes. Even though it comprises essays written quite a while ago, they stand the test of time, regarding business skills people managing others (or have this as a goal) should be aware of, developing, and brushing up on as they go through their careers.
Vanessa
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
New insights and discoveries on how to manage people. I read this book after reading Dale Carnegie's and it gave me broader knowledge about the subject. Useful to HR professionals and people managers.
David Goetz
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super helpful. The best articles, in my judgment, were four: "Leadership that Gets Results," "Saving your Rookie Managers from Themselves," "Fair Process: Managing in the Knowledge Economy," and "Teaching Smart People How to Learn." I wish I'd read these a long time ago.
Quinn Selby
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
4/5 because the content to the articles were too often laden with suporvoulous examples. BUUUT wading through these, this book is replete with succinct insights!
Nelson Faria
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great articles collection!
A must read.
aditya
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really compelling set of articles for manageing people. Specially the article about different management styles. Could be made a bit more compelling by being less textbookish(few articles).
Mircea Nistor
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not complaining about it but it's not what I was looking for.
Matthew Seo
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Summary of what we partially know and feel about managing oneself.
Vesna Jusup
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Gave it a chance. Some nice overviews and reminders. Not clear framework
Mindaugas Cekauskas
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
As usual for the top 10 series, some articles feel a little outdated and need to be taken with a pinch of salt, but otherwise the picks felt very relevant and connected well.
Spencer Willardson
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
There were some good suggestions here. I wish I would have read some of this before I became department chair and had to manage people.
Attila
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Few good articles, most content is not however, not well written, and things that I downright disagree with.
Joy
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this while launching the Exchanges in 2013. I share some of these chapters with new/young managers.
Erin Dues
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Ahmad Nazeri
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is full of nuggets of wisdom for anyone who manages people.
Ed Hansen
Sep 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a mixed bag, some articles were helpful as I think about my career, others just filled pages. I think it is highly subjective to what problems you are trying to solve as a manager.
Eman Abdulaziz
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very good book with wide cover of how to deal with people at workplace. It has some catching articles, but my favorite and most useful was "Managing Your Boss".
Carolina Esteves de Andrade
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
I just invested in myself with the HBRS 10 Must Reads Collection by Harvard Business Review Press. This series is really good because each book has 10 of the best articles published by Harvard University on each topic. I think it is a must read for any ambitious manager, new or experienced leader.

It is easy to read, each book has approximately 300 pages. Each chapter is an article from great authors such as Peter F. Drucker, Theodore Levitt, Robert S. Kaplan, David P. Norton and others. One of
Anshul Thakur
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
They are definitely a good read if you are looking for guidance. While some articles (mainly collaborations or case studies of how the programs devised by the authors worked wonders) did beat around the bush, it is the veterans like Christensen Clayton, Kaplan and Norton, Kotter, Peter Drucker and many others who moved my heart through beautiful prose in argument. A real story is often more influential than those with A construction company in America type of themes and yet some researchers have ...more
Tyler
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
It's amazing to know that many managers and supervisors completely miss the fundamentals of managing people. The first six or seven essays in this curated collection are highly valuable. Later essays are slightly less noteworthy, but still prove necessary, even if a brief skim. Also, there are one or two long, drawn out examples in each essay that serve as quasi-case studies. You might be able to tell from my language, they aren't always the most helpful and serve to ground the rationale for the ...more

• HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing Yourself (with bonus article "How Will You Measure Your Life?")
  • On Emotional Intelligence (HBR's 10 Must Reads)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Strategy (including featured article “What Is Strategy?” by Michael E. Porter)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads for New Managers (with bonus article “How Managers Become Leaders” by Michael D. Watkins) (HBR's 10 Must Reads)
  • The Harvard Business Review Manager's Handbook: The 17 Skills Leaders Need to Stand Out
  • Scrum Mastery: From Good To Great Servant-Leadership
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Teams (with featured article “The Discipline of Teams,” by Jon R. Katzenbach and Douglas K. Smith)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Mental Toughness (with bonus interview "Post-Traumatic Growth and Building Resilience" with Martin Seligman) (HBR's 10 Must Reads)
  • Catalyst: The ultimate strategies on how to win at work and in life
  • The Manager's Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders Navigating Growth and Change
  • HBR Guide to Better Business Writing (HBR Guide Series)
  • Delphi Collected Works of Katsushika Hokusai (Illustrated) (Delphi Masters of Art Book 50)
  • Secret Sanction (Sean Drummond, #1)
  • På zarens befaling: Med Bering og Spangsberg i Sibirien og Stillehavet 1725-1743
  • Stewardship: Choosing Service Over Self-Interest
  • The Kingmaker (Sean Drummond, #3)
  • The Thought Leadership Manual
  • Pivot: The Only Move That Matters is Your Next One

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“Idea in Brief Are you an ethical manager? Most would probably say, “Of course!” The truth is, most of us are not. Most of us believe that we’re ethical and unbiased. We assume that we objectively size up job candidates or venture deals and reach fair and rational conclusions that are in our organization’s best interests. But the truth is, we harbor many unconscious—and unethical—biases that derail our decisions and undermine our work as managers. Hidden biases prevent us from recognizing high-potential workers and retaining talented managers. They stop us from collaborating effectively with partners. They erode our teams’ performance. They can also lead to costly lawsuits.” 2 likes
“there is one quality that sets truly great managers apart from the rest: They discover what is unique about each person and then capitalize on it.” 2 likes