Start by marking “The Story Of Philosophy” as Want to Read:
The Story Of Philosophy

The Story Of Philosophy

This title explores 2,500 years of Western philosophy. In this updated guide to philosophy, Professor Bryan Magee expertly guides us through the history of ideas and thinking, tracing over 2,500 years of Western philosophy from the Ancient Greeks to modern thinkers. Discover what philosophy is, how philosophers have questioned the fundamental principles underlying all know ...more
Published March 1st 2010 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published 1998)

Start your review of The Story Of Philosophy
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Story of Philosophy, Bryan Magee
Covering every major philosopher from Plato to Popper, via Saint Augustine Locke and Nietzsche, explore these great thinkers in their historical context and learn the influences that shaped their lives and work. An essential guide to this fascinating subject. 2,500 years of Western philosophy explored. In this updated guide to philosophy, Professor Bryan Magee expertly guides us through the history of ideas and thinking, tracing over 2,500 years of Western ph
gia
Aug 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone starting out in or wanting a light review of western philosophy
Exactly what I was looking for: a general overview of western philosophers and movements. Occasionally more heavy on the biography than the philosophy, but gave me what I needed to get back into the game and decide which (western) philosophers I want to read next.
Steve
Sep 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy, favorites
If you don't yet know your Hobbes from your Hume, if you're still looking to distinguish your stoic from your sceptic, then this is absolutely the book for you. Pitched at the curious beginner with perhaps a few philosophy titles already under their belt, this provides a huge amount of information and covers some challenging ideas, but does so without ever veering off into convolution and inaccessibility. It seems to get just about everything right: it's well-written, well-structured, and well-p ...more
Sylvie
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful edition with illustrations that provide a context to the philosophy of each period. Not only that, it encourages further thought, which is what I was looking for. Although it is a book to read in stages, you do get a sense of how each thinker built on previous philosphies, elaborated on them, altered them, and gained insights from them. You also find out which philophers have a writing style that is accessible, should you decide to proceed further. Bryan Magee himself is very ...more
Sunlita
Feb 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just bought the Indonesian translation of this book and my first impression of this book is beautiful! Really, I just came home from the bookstore! I finally succeed to pursue my mother for letting me to buy this book! It's rather expensive for me, about 300 thousands rupiahs. But I love it so much!
mellyana
Jun 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: endurance-needed
enjoyable. really enjoyable.

I think the best way to read this book is not aiming to read the whole book at one time. Read it one at a time.
masoome
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
oh this is just the begining
King Leonidas I
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magee not only provides a nice overview of a multitude of major philosophers throughout history, but he eloquently strings together the reactions of one philosophy to the next, demonstrating their relations. This book is accessible enough for anyone to read. There is enough written about each philosopher to give the reader a good sense of which philosophies they may personally want to dive further into. If the reader is looking for a framework or map of philosophy, this book is perfect.
Mark
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book as a Christmas gift when my son was pursuing a Philosophy degree in college. I needed it to keep up! Since then he shifted back to his true calling, biological science, but we'll always share a love for philosophy. This was a dense overview that took me a long time to get through. Even at that, I could not really absorb and retain everything. Early on I figured I would have to just allow the ideas & concepts to wash over me. Some parts stick more than others. All of it was fascin ...more
Keith Bullock
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting walk through the lives and thoughts of some of the world's best-known philosophers. I belong to a philosophy group and several beginner members have found it an excellent orientation; there is also more than enough meat to interest and deepen the knowledge of the more experienced student of philosophy.
D
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like the format and content of this book. Easy to capture quotes, and chock-full of Western men.

Heraclitus: A hidden connection is stronger than an obvious one.
It is not possible to step into the same river twice.

Everything is flux. Nothing in this world of our just permanently is. Everything is changing all the time.

Plato: Everything is becoming, nothing is

Plotinus: If a man seeks from the good life anything beyond itself, it is not the good life that he is seeking.

Dante called Aristot
Arvin
Dec 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a good start for entering the world of reasoning.
Vera Nova
Oct 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book shall become a textbook. It could be the most useful and inspirational among all other textbooks......

Summisse
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used it as textbook for an introduction into philosophy for home schooling. This is an excellent resource.
Adil ŞENTÜRK
holy book of brain and free thought
Michelle Chan
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You do not need any prior knowledge about philosophy to read this book. It is extremely enlightening for a beginner on this topic.
Jp
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great review for those who are a student of philosophy and a great start for those who are not.
Michael
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Excellent overview of Western philosophy. All the major figures and insights covered. Eastern philosophy touched on.
Cameron
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great introduction to history's major philosophers, and wonderfully illustrated.
WT Sharpe
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very well-written and richly illustrated introduction to philosophy.
Ashkan Karimi
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book for knowing the stream somehow .
Mary Brown
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has been 50 years since I took a class in Philosophy, but by fate (what is Fate?), I picked up a brand new copy of this book at a bargain sale in a thrift shop. I have spent three weeks reading and thinking about philosophy from Socrates to Einsten and it has been difficult at times, but always rewarding.
This book gives a short history of major philosophers through the centuries, so it is just an introduction and great for the person who needs to start at the starting point.
Having taught li
Jeremy
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, philosophy
I was looking for a broad overview of the history of philosophy, and this is exactly what I was looking for. It was interesting and thorough in the general sense. He mentions all of the big names I was looking to learn more about. I will continue to use this book as a reference for the philosophies of the different major philosophers. He also lists the major works of each of the philosophers, and often gives you an idea as to whether it is too dense for enjoyable reading or if it’s something I s ...more
P-Ear
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book that does its duty well.

Anyone of, even, light interest in philosophy can give the work a glance and be happy with the smooth'n' broad stroke Bryan Magee covers philosophy.

Only those who have keen insight into a bit of philosophy might be amiss that Magee didn't dig into their favoured philosopher (or philosophy) but if he did so again and again the book would read clumsily; however for the unknowledgable it would seem a clear window into the world of philosophy with little bias or distr
Ehsan Gazar
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's amazing to know how Philosophy has been changed over time,
Interesting that like thousands of years ago we were thinking completely something else of the world around us. Raising this question, would it be the same thing for those thousands of years from now?

An awesome introduction on the history of Philosophy and I wished that I could memorize them all, but just having an idea is enough for now.

Ian Pitchford
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great introduction to philosophy for young adults; beautifully illustrated as everyone expects from DK. There's nothing on the philosophy of India, China or Japan and nothing on non-Western influences, but these are perennial omissions in British and American accounts, which like to imagine that all great ideas sprang fully-formed in Western consciousness.
Yarik
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read, it took me a while to finish because some concepts were hard to grasp and I had to take pauses. But overall I think I have a pretty decent idea of were Western Philosophy started and in what state it currently is in now.
Joseph Moya
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely fantastic introduction to European philosophers. Occasionally too heavy on the biography details but the rest of the book does a brilliant job descriptions various philosopher's ideas. Would absolutely recommend to anyone interested in European philosophy.
Omid shakibania
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best introductory philosophy book I have ever read. . Fantastic
John Rimmer
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
In typical DK-style this book reads like a magazine, full of pictures and block quotes to keep you from getting bored.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Big Questions: Philosophy
  • A Fraction of the Whole
  • نان سال‌های جوانی
  • Aura
Bryan Edgar Magee was a noted British broadcasting personality, politician, poet, and author, best known as a popularizer of philosophy.

He attended Keble College, Oxford where he studied History as an undergraduate and then Philosophy, Politics and Economics in one year. He also spent a year studying philosophy at Yale University on a post-graduate fellowship.

Magee's most important influence on so

News & Interviews