Start by marking “Malice in the Highlands (Erskine Powell, #1)” as Want to Read:
Malice in the Highlands (Erskine Powell, #1)

Malice in the Highlands (Erskine Powell #1)

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  184 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
INTRODUCING ERSKINE POWELL OF SCOTLAND YARD

Crime, investigation, punishment. They're all in a day's work to Detective Chief Superintendent Erskine Powell of New Scotland Yard. As a member of the Yard's Murder Squad, Powell tracks miscreants all over London.

Now, seeking distance from the criminal constituency--and the bureaucratic drudgery of the Yard--Powell embarks on a s
Published March 4th 2009 by Fawcett (first published January 28th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Malice in the Highlands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Malice in the Highlands

George
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1st in the Scotland Yard Detective Chief Superintendent Erskine Powell mystery series. Powell is taking his yearly salmon fishing vacation in the Scottish Highlands and it quickly turns into a busman's holiday with the murder of the wealthy owner of a near by estate. He is brought in to help local Scottish authorities investigate the murder.
Andrea
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the police procedural aspect of this one. I liked the setting. The tired, disillusioned police man felt a little over done.
The solution was a bit of a surprise, but other characters seemed to have known it for a while. So I was left feeling like I missed something.
Overall, not awful, but not a favorite.
Pontiki
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book better than the one in Cornwall, which was a bit off the wall.

Fun friendship/rivalry between Erskine and Alex, neat characters running the inn they stayed in, and a view into salmon fishing to boot.

I like how the victim was seen as evil, honest, and sober/drunk, depending on who told the story. I really like John Sanders, the Canadian reporter, and Nigel, the inn owner and friend. I hoped neither one of them was the killer.

The murderer wasn't on my radar, I had someone else
G. Munson
I read this book with the thought: "I wonder if mysteries are really about making everyone look guilty and throwing in random newly discovered information from time to time to mix it up". Turns out, with this book my thinking was right on. It was a bit like reading a game of clue, really. Anyone could have been guilty, but in the end it all felt a bit random. I still liked it but felt a bit disappointed when it was over. There seemed to be nothing wholly original about it, and this is from someo ...more
F
Jan 09, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was persistent and I finished every word of the novel to find out who murdered Charles Murray, the Canadian millionaire who had recently retired to the Highlands. Some of the previous book reviews online mentioned the overkill on the subject of fly fishing, and I am in total agreement in respect with that particular sport narration. However, I got totally disgusted with the last few chapters of the book in regard to the discussions revolving around mining stock promotions and short sales. One ...more
Marsha
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Not a very good mystery - most of the negative thoughts about it were because the editing was so poor - don't know if this was a function of the Kindle translation or just bad editing, but it was distracting and annoying. The plot itself was okay, but there were so many red herrings, that the ending was something of a surprise. The surprise being that there was anyone left to suspect of the murder! Not recommended.
Susan
I read half of this book and found the reading very dry. The fishing references were OK and I didn't mind them, but I did not get a good sense of place and found the Inspector to be just borderline interesting. The mystery itself was nothing exceptional, either. Because of that I have put the book aside.
Grey853
Jul 03, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, british
I was hoping for more atmospheric narrative, but was disappointed. However, this is a okay police procedural. Unfortunately, it really got bogged down in all the details about fly fishing. I got bored with all the talk of rods and salmon.

I did like the personal aspects of the main character, which is why I gave it two stars instead of one.

Sallie
Apr 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I picked up this book and another by this author (Malice in Cornwall) at my local used bookstore. Never heard of the author before, but I enjoyed this book. The mystery was interesting and not too obvious, and the setting and description of the setting was my cuppa tea. I do love Scotland - highlands and lowlands and islands - all of it.
Pat
Jul 28, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll read more of this author's books to see if the puzzles get better, but the mystery in this one was too darned easy to solve. I wasn't sure of the motive, but the killer clearly stood out in the first 100 pages because the character just didn't fit into the story unless he was the killer.
Christina
This is the first in the series of Erskine Powell mysteries. I really like the main character, and I enjoyed the setting of this book. I wasn't as fond of the financial storyline. I enjoyed his other 2 books more, probably because I didn't enjoy all the talk about the financial world.
Helen Hills
Feb 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cosy, mystery
Pretty good. Surprise ending...I had someone elase entirely picked as the villain. The book lurches around a bit, but if you can keep your balance it's a pleasant read. Good enough to download the second in the series to my iPad Kindle app.
Val Sanford
Ugh. This mystery didn't hold my attention at all. The Scottish backdrop was I'll-used in trite and expected wats, lending a clumsy and choppy cadence to a cast of flat characters.
Teresa
Jan 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I took this to read on a long day in a hospital waiting room. It was a perfect choice to ward off boredom without requiring much in the way of concentration. The setting was beautiful.
stormhawk
Not bad for a novel with that much salmon fishing. End is a bit ridiculous. Not enticed into reading any of the sequels.
Julie
i liked this the best of the series
Carol
Feb 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Setting is near the location of my daughter's wedding.
Melissa Acuna
Easy read, set in the Scottish Highlands.
Leslie
Jun 10, 2012
Kathy
Jun 13, 2014
Patty Nicoll
rated it did not like it
Jul 01, 2015
Dec 01, 2011
Sally
Aug 12, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Her Death of Cold (Father Dowling, #1)
  • The Cruellest Month (Mrs. Malory Mysteries, #2)
  • A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court 5
  • Evernote for Dummies
  • An Unhallowed Grave (Wesley Peterson, #3)
  • Why Things Break: Understanding the World By the Way It Comes Apart
  • The New Centurions
  • London 1849: A Victorian Murder Story
  • The Story Of England
  • This Realm of England, Volume 2
  • That Way Murder Lies (Mitchell and Markby Village, #15)
  • The Twilight Time
  • Passing Strange (Inspector Sloan #9)
Pseudonym of Gordon Kosakoski, 1950-2008.
Wrote five novels.
More about Graham Thomas...

Erskine Powell (5 books)
  • Malice in Cornwall (Erskine Powell, #2)
  • Malice on the Moors (Erskine Powell, #3)
  • Malice in London (Erskine Powell, #4)
  • Malice Downstream (Erskine Powell, #5)