Start by marking “Point of Dreams (Astreiant, #2)” as Want to Read:
Point of Dreams (Astreiant, #2)

Point of Dreams (Astreiant #2)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  410 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
The city of Astreiant has gone crazy with enthusiasm for a new play, The Drowned Island, a lurid farrago of melodrama and innuendo. Pointsman Nicolas Rathe is not amused, however, at a real dead body on stage and must investigate. A string of murders follow, perhaps related to the politically important masque that is to play on that same stage. Rathe must once again recrui ...more
Published December 11th 2001 by Tor Books (first published February 10th 2001)

K.J. Charles
Loved this. Love the whole series. The writing is so smooth and assured, with so much left between the lines. The world is intricately constructed, the mystery elegantly developed, the romance beautifully understated. This is the kind of writing that feels effortless, which of course means it was anything but.

This reminds me of how fantasy used to make me feel, which is to say, why I spent years reading very little else. I would rather be in these books than not, that's all.
Stephanie
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Flower-arranging has never been so lethal.
heidi
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chronologically, this is the third book in the series I think of as "CSI: Big Gay Fantasy". The mental name is probably an unfair depiction, since the book is much more about the teamwork between Rathe and Eslingen than about their growing intimacy.

This mystery is set against the upcoming power changeover, a situation much like the tulip craze of Holland, and a magically important play. There is also a confluence of the stars that is causing everyone to see ghosts of their past, quite literally.
Furio
This second book in the late-Renaissance series centred on pointsman Rathe is similar at first sight to the first but subtly different nonetheless, as if the two plots belonged each to one of the two authors.

The first was more focused on the mistery, on the action that brings to its solving and it was fleshed out with countless details about the lower-class characters' way of life.
In this second one the mistery seems not to be the focus of the narrative: it rather seems an excuse to examine char
Angela
When I finished this book, I set it aside with a feeling of satisfaction, as if I'd had a good meal. The mystery was well-done, the fantastic elements of the story and the world well-conceived, the backstory well-integrated and relatively easy to pick up once I got into the rhythm of the plot.

Scott and Barnett write with an attention to detail and a richness of atmosphere not often found in fantasy. The story moves along leisurely, over the course of a few days, and (forgive the clumsy metaphor)
Alison
4.5 stars. So well done. This is a marvellous book in a marvellous fantasy mystery series and this is my favourite so far. The city of Astreiant and its residents continue to capture all my attention. There's so much depth and subtlety and complexity in this story and the characters continue to be totally compelling. The mystery is absolutely fascinating, as is the theatrical setting. It's a murder mystery story based around a big theatrical production. Also going on is a mad flower craze like t ...more
Cat M
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-f, queerness
In some ways the murders are the least interesting part of this book. They matter, and they drive the plot, but it's the thematic stuff going on around and in cause of the murders that I found most interesting.

This is a book about relationships, and the ways they are seen and controlled by society and societal pressures.

It's mostly about queer relationships. The growing intimacy between Philip and Nico and the ways in which they are both drawn to but also unsure if they're ready for that intima
Abi Walton
I think I preferred this book to the first one, which was brilliant don't get me wrong. I just love Nico and Philp being lemen together it makes me so happy. And I adore how Scott and Barnett write their relationship, it is there, but also so subtle making the moments of tenderness more heart moving and wonderful.
I really want all my books to be set in this world, where everyone is bisexual and it doesn't matter. Nico and Philip are lemen and its just the perfect setting for a story that is dri
Alarra
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gblt, fantasy, mystery
it was diminishing returns with the second book, Point of Dreams, as Nico and Philip investigate strange murders at the playhouse. I felt there was too little time exploring how they felt about each other - even as past loves were thrown in to the mix, it felt like all the relationship stuff happened offstage (lol pun unintended), only so they could bring it to the fore to hammer home a pertinent point to the mystery.

I also felt the crime was ridiculously easy to solve, and was really annoyed t
Kate
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Still hitting EVERYTHING I LOVE. Some of the theatre stuff got a bit impenetrable at times, but it didn't take away from the book.
  • A Companion to Wolves (Iskryne World, #1)
  • Hell and Earth (Promethean Age, #4)
  • Servants of the Crossed Arrows (Rifter #2)
  • The Gumshoe, the Witch, and the Virtual Corpse (Gumshoe, #1)
  • The Crown of Silence (The Chronicles of Magravandias, #2)
  • The Door Into Fire (The Tale of the Five, #1)
  • Maelstrom (Whyborne & Griffin, #7)
  • The Fall of the Kings (Riverside, #3)
  • Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal, #3; Whyborne & Griffin, #3.5)
  • Magistrates of Hell (James Asher, #4)
  • Casket of Souls (Nightrunner, #6)
  • The Persistence of Memory (Mnevermind, #1)
  • The Affair of the Porcelain Dog (Ira Adler #1)
Scott studied history at Harvard College and Brandeis University, and earned her PhD. in comparative history. She published her first novel in 1984, and has since written some two dozen science fiction and fantasy works, including three co-authored with her partner, Lisa A. Barnett.

Scott's work is known for the elaborate and well-constructed settings. While many of her protagonists are gay, lesbia
More about Melissa Scott...

Astreiant (3 books)
  • Point of Hopes (Astreiant, #1)
  • Fairs' Point (Astreiant, #3)