Start by marking “The Best Man (Wilde's #1)” as Want to Read:
The Best Man (Wilde's #1)

The Best Man

(Wilde's #1)

Jon Beatty thought he had the best man in his ex, Craig. But in the six months since their break up, Craig's managed to find a new lover—a woman—and wants Jon to be a different kind of best man…at his wedding.

Reasoning that the only way to get over one man is to get under another, Jon heads for a local club to get drunk and laid. Bartender Liam Sable is more than willing t
ebook, 1st edition, 233 pages
Published June 2nd 2010 by Carnal Passions

To ask other readers questions about The Best Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Man

*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars!

I think I can count on one hand the number of freebies I've (a) actually read and (b) actually liked. This one was a winner!

I should never doubt LA Witt!

A lot of reviews said this one had too much sex.

I think it was more so that the sex may have been a bit repetitive. They often made the same moans and groans and said the same "oh gods" and "yes, more" and "harder" but hey, it was still HOT!

Liam and Jon were great! I loved their banter!

Most of the drama and conflict in this one cen
~Mindy Lynn~
I really enjoyed this one. It was a pretty light read considering some of the more darker things that took place near the end. But still enjoyable and I loved Liam and Jon together. They were a steamy pair. The chemistry was off the charts and the sex was HOT!
Both of their ex's are complete douche canoes and I hated them both. Liam's more so for reasons I won't spoil for the ones who haven't read this.
The book is low on the angst and was exactly the type of read I was wanting. It's always a jo
.Lili.
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
You know sometimes I am skeptical about the freebies. I think maybe they're free for a reason... and are probably-

I'm happy to say-

Just because it's free doesn't mean it'll necessarily suck. This book way surpassed my expectations. Jon and Liam were great together.

What I loved:
*It was sweet
*It was witty
*Very steamy--->these two men were insatiable!
*Nice story flow

What I didn't love:
*(view spoiler) That was kind of lame, but that part of the story didn't take u
Debra
Enjoyable story. I liked Jon and Liam as a couple and enjoyed watching Jon finally get over his ex Craig who is quite self-absorbed and becomes less likable every time he opens his mouth. Liam also has an ex, but that is a whole different set of problems. Both men were very different when they were with their exes and are cautious entering into the relationship, trying to keep it casual.

I agree with other reviews that the sex became a bit repetitive, although Liam and Jon were hot together. Out
Kaje Harper
Jan 17, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Free on Amazon Jan 17 2015
Cadiva
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great start to this series

There's some seriously douchey behaviour in this one as both MCs have truly horrible exes but thankfully all turns out well in the end.

I loved  Jon and Liam and, while they both seemed to me to be younger in my head than their stated ages, they had a wonderful dynamic together.

The sex is scorching hot as I'd expect and, while there's a fair bit of it in a relatively short novella, none of it felt out of place.

It also has a super sweet epilogue.
aksana  -  4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42 -
4.5 Stars
Lolita
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
i skipped, how about most of the book?

this book was all about sex... sleep... waking up and fucking all over again...

this book isn't even one star for me, and what made worst was that :

"vulnerable feeling of paranoia, my heart
pounding as I wondered how long I’d been in how much
danger"

seriously? the man is telling you about his boyfriend abusing him and hurting him, and that he left you to protect you from his fucking ex and that what you first think about.

the 2 stars are in favor of the Liam'
Tina
Jan 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hurt-comfort, romance

Freebie on Amazon - Jan. 17, 2015

3,5 stars.

First I didn't realize I read this one before... but after a while the storyline looked familiar.

The Best Man is the first book of the Wilde's books. The following books (4 so far) are part of The Distance Between Us series, I have no idea why The Best Man isn't?

It's is about Jon, who still pines after his ex boyfriend Craig and Wilde's bartender Liam. But not only Jon has issues with his ex ... Liam has dangerous secrets, too.

The guys fall for each oth
Deanna Against Censorship
Jon was ditched six months earlier. To make matters worse, his ex, Craig, immediately started a committed relationship with a woman. For some reason, duh, she does not like that Jon and Craig are still friends. The fact that Jon still wants Craig does not help. Now Craig is going to marry Rebecca and wants Jon to be his best man. He tells Jon to go out and have fun instead of sitting around missing him. Jon laments the joys of being with a bisexual man. I wondered if the girlfriend before me had ...more
Sonia ~Ruber's fiancé in Crystal Court universe~
I'm not sure how to rate this book... I'm undecided between 2.5 and 3 stars..I have so many complaints about it but at the same time I did enjoy it when I wasn't rolling my eyes or skimming the 1 billion sex scenes.. I don't know how to explain it..

Things I didn't like:
- too much sex; to freaking much. I know, I know "what's wrong with me?", but 1.5 out of 2 chapters was a sex scene. No, I am not kidding! And although it was rather hot after while is just got boring and annoying
- almost half of
~Kristin~
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75~4 Stars
I've been trying to get back here and write a review, but today has been totally hectic. I'm exhausted. Maybe I will get to it tomorrow!
Allie
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
I have to agree with some reviewers who said that there was just too much sex in this book. And it was pretty repetitive in description so it added nothing really. I liked the two main characters together but, boy, did they appear to have been weak with their former (or not so former) partners.

Jon and Liam meet after having split up with former boyfriends. Jon's been asked, by his ex (Craig), to be best man at Craig and Rebecca's wedding. Odd request, if you ask me. I would have said no. Craig,
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
I'm gonna give it 4★'s even if the added drama pissed me off and left me with a question I don't want answered.

The majority, like 90% of the book made me nothing but feel good.

Totally hot love story. Really hot.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Free again at Amazon US, 3/31/16
Trio
I've got to admit I was a little disappointed by this one. Yes, it's got great dirty talk and some pretty creative sex, but there's not an interesting enough plot to hold it together for me.

I really would have liked to see more of Craig, that would have been a much better story - and (view spoiler).

I just prefer Witt's current stuff better, I'm spoi
ᴡᴡᴡ.Elisa_Rolle.18sexy.pw
The Best Man was a story that started as a comedy and ended as a drama, and that was probably the most unexpected, but nice, surprise of the story.

When at the beginning of the story Jon receives the “bad” news about the marriage of his ex-boyfriend Craig, together with the offer to be the best man at such wedding, I was totally expecting for this story to turn into a gay “my best-friend’s wedding” type of romance. My expectation were: a) that Jon was willing to do anything to conquering back Cr
Ula'ndi Hart
Overall book rating:3.5
Audio Book: Zack Andrews - 4
Book Cover: 1.5

The audio firstly, was really nice. I enjoyed the little extra's like the laughs ect. and Zack Andrews has a great voice.

I enjoyed the read as well. Although there were times I wished there would be a little more happening than these two constantly having at each other like Duracell bunnies. But I wanted to read on never the less.

But then somewhere along the way...well...the wicked X of the East, West North and South stepped in...
Wendy
Wow...this one had a lot of

photo tumblr_njs4haee2s1unkaf7o1_400_zpsumnqbfz5.gif

I like :)

It was a nice easy read. I liked the storyline. I didn't care much about Liams ex boyfriend. Figured out what was going on during the first couple of pages, so no surprise there. Craig was just an idiot.
But Liam and Jon were HOT together.

There was a lot of sex in this book...I did not mind one bit. What I did mind was the number of times "Oh my god" was said. Damn, but it had the same lines every single sexscene. That kind of irritated me. Not enough that I
Candice
Dec 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
This is a story about Jon and Liam who have both been in a long term relationship and have problems with their ex-partners who do not seem to want to stay out of the picture. They have a one night stand that slowly develops into something more. Both Jon and Liam are likeable characters most of the time, however at times I did find them a little annoying. I think if some of the sex scenes were taken out and there was little more focus on their relationship developing it would have been much bette ...more
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, read-m-m
LA Witt is another go-to author for me...I pretty much enjoy everything that she puts out there.
This book was pretty much 80% Awesomeness that is sex, dirty talk, hilarious banter and Wilde's! The other 20% was a total clutsterfuck of drama! Was it perfect...nope but I liked it anyway!
Jane (PS)
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jane (PS) by: lisa
Shelves: mm, kindle
Whilst wishing that one MC trusted the other a LOT earlier, I still enjoyed the relationship devlepment and the overall love tangles that ensued :)
Julie Reads
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Samantha
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Samantha by: Clarene
3.5 rounded up.

Liam Sable and Jon Beatty are both getting over bad breakups. After being asked to be the best man in his exes wedding, Jon finally breaks the slump and goes out to a club, where he meets Liam, aka, the handsome bartender.

After a night of casual sex, they decide to start a casual relationship of sorts, but we all know, nothing stays casual for long.

The book:

So here's the thing, I liked this. I did. It just didn't wow me. It was one of those things were I could take it or leave it
¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧°**★°**★
A Cute Read!

The Beginning....

Great Execution!

I love the mystery of the beginning, it lead me down a wonderful path.

The Middle...

has many hot steamy love scenes~ for me just a wee bit to many...BUT...they lead to a wonderful climax, no pun intended.

The Ending,...

Excellent !

I read the second edition...gosh, I''m so glad I was slow in buying this, it was truly my kind of perfect ending.

The ending in the second edition, shhh it's in the spoiler....❤(view spoiler)
Simon
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't half bad, but it wasn't half good either!
Plot-wise and protagonist-wise, really good. Liam and Jon newly single men meet up in the bar where Liam works, hook up for a mutually attracted one night stand and end up in a relationship. Cute. Bit of angst and dark towards the end but love conquers all and we are rewarded with the HEA epilogue. Fine.
The bad? Too much sex, far too much. I'd guess over half the story is descriptive-sex prose. It became so boring and tedious, I ended up skip
thelastaerie
Jun 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Would have liked it more if I didn't get bored by the one sex scene per 5 pages ratio... I mean, seriously, they are both in their thirties, you don't just "give me a few minutes" all night long...

Characterisation wise, the main hero is well written, the 2nd hero a bit inconsistent - especially after revealing his true problem with his ex, you wouldn't have guessed he'd be someone who would be bullied. Other supporting characters are just sloppy and rather typical.

The romance is convincing and
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Not the greatest book in the world, but L.A. Witt has a way of making me love even her most mundane stories. I love the chemistry between her characters, and the sex scenes are just phenomenal. There were things about Jon and Liam that I absolutely hated, and yet I was still able to sympathize with them and like them despite wanting to slap them. Witt tends to make her characters those of the "soul mates" variety without making that fact too obvious, and I just can't help but love it.

Teri
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cute. Hot. Temporarily pissed me off. Ended properly.
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
4/9/2019 sometimes, you should listen to the voices that tell you not to reread because you KNOW your tastes have changed.

• Not Knowing Jack (Ohio Books, #2)
  • Be a Bad Boy
  • Cowboys Down
  • Hanging Loose
  • You and a Billion Blue Tiles
  • Cost of Repairs (Cost of Repairs, #1)
  • Something Different
  • Violence Begets...
  • Mark of the Gladiator (Warriors of Rome, #4)
  • Continental Divide (Separate Ways, #1)
  • Where There's Smoke
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • The Telling (The Telling, #1)
  • Worth Keeping
  • Carte Blanche
  • Admit One
  • And to All a Good Night (Life Lessons, #1.5)
  • Stirring Up Trouble (Stir, #1)
L.A. Witt and her husband have been exiled from Spain and sent to live in Maine because rhymes are fun. She now divides her time between writing, assuring people she is aware that Maine is cold, wondering where to put her next tattoo, and trying to reason with a surly Maine coon. Rumor has it her arch nemesis, Lauren Gallagher, is also somewhere in the wilds of New England, which is why L.A. is al ...more

Wilde's (10 books)
  • The Distance Between Us (The Distance Between Us, #1; Wilde's #2)
  • A.J.'s Angel (Wilde's, #3)
  • The Closer You Get (The Distance Between Us, #2; Wilde's, #4)
  • Meet Me in the Middle (The Distance Between Us, #3; Wilde's, #5)
  • Missionary (Wilde's, #5.5)
  • No Distance Left to Run (Wilde's, #6)
  • No Place That Far (Wilde's, #7)
  • To Live Again (The Distance Between Us #6, Wilde's #8)
  • Bouncing Back (Wilde's, #9)
“Immediately dropped his gaze. Oh, déjà vu, it’s been a while. How are you, bitch?” 0 likes
“You ever wonder why we hesitate to rush into something good, but drag our feet getting out of something bad?” 0 likes