Start by marking “I Love You, Good Night” as Want to Read:
I Love You, Good Night

I Love You, Good Night

As a child gets ready for bed, this sweet book evokes all the ways parents can say, "I love you."

I love you like frogs love flies! I love you like pigs love pies!

Some ways are silly, some are heartfelt, but all of the ways to say "I love you" describe unconditional affection. This enduring bedtime favorite is now available in a sturdy board edition—the perfect way to say
Board Book, 28 pages
Published January 1st 2006 by Little Simon (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about I Love You, Good Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Love You, Good Night

Start your review of I Love You, Good Night
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
Gorgeous! Perfect for this grandmama to read to her grandson.
Sherri
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-alouds
This book belongs to the vast genre of Rhyming Assurances of Parental Affection Before Bed. It's pleasant enough, but merits an extra half star for not committing the usual gross violations of meter.
Panda Incognito
I spent a long time wondering which book had the line, "I love you like the moon at night, big and warm and round and bright." Then Mom and I went through a bin of old board books, and I discovered that it was this one.

Some family friends gave this board book to my younger sister when she was a baby, and we all enjoyed it very much. Even though there are a vast number of books about parents reassuring their children of their love before putting them to bed, this one has especially creative langu
Melinda Weprin
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asher
I wish there was an option for boardbooks. I loved the little story but my toddler likes turning the pages and putting things in his mouth. Having to read and keep the pages from being destroyed was a bit difficult.
Lupe
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This a great book to read to a young child right before bedtime. The last message the child will hear is how much mommy loves him/her. I enjoyed reading it. It is easy reading but with a big message.
Jemma
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is lovely. It's perfect for picking up and reading to a child before bed, and they can easily follow along since the pictures show the next big line.
Christina
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is such a sweet little board book. A good chance to tell my kids how much I love them while reading. Appropriately short for toddlers.
Kris
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Auri wanted to tell me the things she loves...and what she doesn’t love! A really Fun read!
Heather Jo
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lily-list
Ashley Onna
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of my absolute favorite books of my childhood. I can remember it 20 years later.
Heather Vincent
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a great bedtime story! It also started word and picture/ image association for my little one. Highly recommend this!
Amy Thornton
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
One of our favorite books!

The words are adorable and sweet - and when my son was a little under two, he loved blowing when we get to "I love you like wind loves blowing" and signing and saying "water" when we get to "I love you like boots love splashing in puddles" - and so much more!!!

The pictures are simple, but there is enough for him to point out a bunch of things - he points to a train, crayons and paper, a ball, etc. This is our FAVORITE bedtime book, and it's not too long either, which is
Kenia Soto
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I Love You, Good Night has beautiful illustration that is appealing to children. The book has a Fall setting. It also contains rhyming words that is catchy and fun to read. I would recommend this book as a bedtime story for parents to share with their children. This board book is great for infants to early readers. The authors Jon Buller and Susan Schade have many books that arrange from board books to chapter books.
Josiah
Mar 18, 2010 rated it did not like it
A parent loves their kid in the same way that so many other experiences and things in life seem to naturally jell together and blend to become more than the sum of their parts, and this book is a celebration of that truth. Ranging from funny to tender, I Love You, Good Night should make for good reading between a parent and child. I would probably give one and a half stars to this book.
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: emi-s-books
My daughter loved, loved, loved this simple and endearing board book. We read it morning, noon and night for months when she was barely a year old. To this day, we will sometimes fish it off her shelf and read it before going to bed.

Kids (and adults) will like it because a)it rhymes, b) it's short and c) it's very sweet.
Robert
Mar 31, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a bedtime type book. Unlike most that conjure up lullabies, this one requires the child's attention. The comparisons are descriptive and the images are bold.

I love you like blueberry pancakes!
I love you like I love strawberry milkshakes!

You're not going to gently fall asleep with this one, but how wonderful the comparisons are! Love it!
Jasmine
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peer-teacher
I Love You, Good Night is a sweet book that pulls at the heart strings and overall has a warm feeling to it. This is a great book to read to children as a bedtime story. The pictures are likeable and children can relate to the parent/child relationship in the book. The words are fun and it makes it easy for children to memorize.
Cara Byrne
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
It's a perfectly fine sleepy board book, but it is filled with foods my little one loves (pancakes, blueberries, etc.), so it's out for us. It does not help my little one get to sleep - instead, it distracts her and gives her hunger she didn't have before ("huuunngry, peeeeaaass"). A toddler storytime read.
Elisa Pereyra-Molina
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kimberly
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love you like boots love splashing in puddles! I love you like bears love kisses and cuddles!

Our new favorite book to read before bedtime. We love the sweet rhymes and beautiful illustrations.

Joy
Oct 13, 2012 rated it liked it
This is another "goodnight" book that I will pull out to read to my daughters. It contains a lot of similes like "I love you like I love blueberry pancakes." The girls like it and it's illustrated with mice.
Jazzmin Baldwin
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: peer-teacher
This beautiful and secure story is great. It's assures the love that is there. It's simple rhyming words is great for ages 3 and up. It's cute illustration is wonderful for the children to comprehend. It's a warm happy feeling.
Connor
May 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: board, mine, age-1, home, age-2
Good rhyme. Cute pictures. Mice drawn in a way that could make them kind of genderless, if you don't peer too closely.

Makes my son want strawberry milk shakes.

Just another cute "I love you" book. But Connor likes it.
babyhippoface
Feb 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a classic, yes, but I read this at bedtime to my girlies. Therefore, a classic.
Cabryn Taylor
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-kids-love-em
Quick read, good bedtime story.
Rachel
Aug 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Eli loves this book - great bedtime book
Lorri
Jan 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: xander-s-shelf
Our favorite bedtime book.
Rachel
Jan 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-favorites
One of my favorite books to read my boy at night.
Samantha
Mar 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a good one, especially as a bedtime story.
Sanja
Apr 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My son's girlfriend Joy gave him this book. He loves it! :)

• Dragons Love Tacos
  • But Not the Hippopotamus
  • Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See?
  • The Very Busy Spider
  • Hop On Pop
  • Go to Sleepy, Little Sheepy
  • The Story of Benjamin Franklin
  • You Were There Too
  • Llama Llama Red Pajama
  • The Rainbow Fish
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Guess How Much I Love You
  • Moo, Baa, La La La!
  • The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
  • Pride & Prejudice : A BabyLit Counting Primer