Start by marking “Sun Stand Still: What Happens When You Dare to Ask God for the Impossible” as Want to Read:
Sun Stand Still: What Happens When You Dare to Ask God for the Impossible

Sun Stand Still: What Happens When You Dare to Ask God for the Impossible

If you're not daring to believe god for the impossible, you may be sleeping through some of the best parts of your Christian Life.

"This book is not a Snuggie. The words on these pages will not go down like Ambien. I’m not writing to calm or coddle you. With God’s help, I intend to incite a riot in your mind. Trip your breakers and turn out the lights in your favorite hidin
Published September 21st 2010 by Multnomah (first published September 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sun Stand Still, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sun Stand Still

Mark
Sep 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Before I start this review, I need to tell you that I was a big fan of Steven Furtick before he put a single word down on paper. I first heard him speak last September on The Nines, an online conference put on by Leadership Network...

Now, I realize that he may or may not be your cup of tea - he's definitely got a "grew up in the South & around church" vibe - but that video cut through a morass of self-pity & frustration in my ministry & life. He blends "inside baseball" humor (well,
J.S. Park
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Pastor Steven Furtick is regularly criticized for his lax use of Scripture, his shaky theology, and his over-eager charm, but there is no denying he is gifted and talented. While I'm somewhat in the Reformed camp who has claimed doctrinal war against guys like Furtick, I personally love his ministry. I appreciate what he does. I download podcasts from Mark Driscoll, Matt Chandler, Timothy Keller, James MacDonald, and anyone else you'd call conservative, but my odd blip on the iPod is Steven Furt ...more
Mike
Oct 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Every once in a while you read a book that intersects with where you are in life in such a way that it's almost conversational. This has been that book for me. It has encouraged me on my journey.
Abraham Mathew
Idk why I read this
Joel Osteen wannabe, with a lot of God sprinkled in.
Thomas
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
When I saw Steven Furtick at the Willow Creek Association Global Leadership Summit this year, I was drawn in by his personality. You could tell that he believed he could change the world. This book helps one to dig deeper into his mindset.

I feel genuinely encouraged in my walk.
Dave Courtney
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first time I had heard of Steven Furtick was when I picked up this book. Evidently he is a pastor of a very large and successful Church and movement in the southern states. Admittedly, even in first picking up this book and perusing the first few chapters it is hard to get a complete picture of the man and his methodology. In fact, it wouldn't be surprising to find many who might be prone to reading a certain degree of cynicism in to what at first glance gives the appearance of a superficial ...more
John Gardner
On the front end, I feel it's only fair to admit that when I first received this book, I was not a big fan of Steven Furtick. In my admittedly limited experience with the young megachurch pastor, I had found him to be brash, over-the-top, and borderline arrogant... not exactly qualities I look for in a preacher. Of course, I have generally found that it hasn't been an issue with what he has said so much as how he has said it ( this video is a good example).

Since my problems with Furtick have be
Akash Ahuja
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very easy-to-read book, but to its merit, not its fault. I think that this book is great for those who feel like they are in a spiritual or prayer rut, and are looking for how to grow in their faith. This book may not have been terribly deep on a theological sense, but it inspires and encourages readers to live their faith. Rather than keeping it all in ideological headspace, Furtick gets practical and gives rubber-meets-the-road advice for your life.
Steven Gagne
Dec 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Audacious faith" - that is the key phrase in Steven Furtick's Sun Stand Still: What Happens When You Dare to Ask God for the Impossible . The subtitle says it all - What Happens When You Dare to Ask God for the Impossible. The story of Joshua asking God to cause the sun to stand still in the sky, that the Lord's words may come to pass, is that backdrop to this challenging, inspiring book. In the same way that Joshua possessed an audacious faith to ask God for what seemed impossible, we are to ...more
Connie
Dec 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"God is great. God is good." A simple prayer. A child's prayer. But this is the building block to what author Steven Furtick calls "audacious faith" in his book *Sun Stand Still.*
The premise of his book comes from the Old Testament story of Joshua and the taking of Jericho. Joshua had faith-an "audacious faith"- and he prayed an impossible prayer that only God could answer. That is the type of prayer life we are to have as Christians.
The author uses many stories and examples in a conversation st
Mylon Pruett
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
"Jesus didn’t die on a part-time cross. He doesn’t love us with a part-time love. He doesn’t cover us with a part-time pardon for sins. There’s no such thing as a part-time Christian, and there’s no such thing as part-time ministry."

"Complete confidence in the competency of Christ matched with sincere humility. This is the only formula for authentic audacious faith."

Sun Stand Still is about intense radical faith. Based Joshua's prayer that resulted in God keeping the sun in the sky for an extra
Bonne Lynn
Jan 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: no-no-no
Read this, if only to gain exposure from a mega church but don't read this to learn. There were a few things I found uncomfortable with this pastor and his church that lean toward the unhealthy.

A church is not successful based on its numbers.
A healthy church has the majority, if not all serving. His church is 12,000 and only a few thousand serve.
He mentioned that he doesn't even know the roles in his church. The pastor needs to know each person, because in the end he is accountable for his flock
Nov 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Such an inspiring and motivating book, written in a way that is relatable, easy to read and Biblically-founded. I was also pleased that Furtick had a vision for this novel, used Joshua as the main biblical parallel and did not stay from this vision or Joshua's audacious faith example.

Parts of this book led me to tears in recognizing God's goodness and at other times because of how much I know I need to change in my own life.

I've been following Christ for more than several years now and found thi
Gail
Feb 01, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
Ugh....I started this book after hearing an associate pastor at my church preach an uplifting message from it and while I HAD been enjoying it, I felt pretty slimey about the pastor who wrote it after I read [quite a bit more] about him (here's a bizarre starting point: http://www.crosswalk.com/blogs/christ...) -- a great reminder to do my homework when it comes to finding authors whose messages I want to follow as they relate to my faith.
Andrea
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing and challenging. This book is a poke on our backs so we start paying attention to the life we're living. Is it a faith driven life, or a fear driven life?
Its encouraging to read that it is possible to live a life of audacious faith, and this way have the best life God has planned for us.
Linda Walters
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who dares to believe the Bible is true.
Recommended to Linda by: found at Library
Shelves: related-books
Loved the book; its going into my personal library. Written in a way to wake you back up to the radical truths of the Bible. Re-charging, re-firing, reminding the believer that God's power, and unusual ways have NOT passed away; dare to ask and believe. To pray daring, outrageous, world changing prayers.

Gini
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. First book I've read by Furtick and I love how down to earth his writing style is- very easy to read. And the thoughts and approaches to faith and prayer are so positive and purposeful- I will work to use these along with his 12 audacious faith confessions on page 114 daily.
Courage Molina
Jun 21, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked it because of the message. He seems to be a speaker who writes, but his passion and message are powerful. It definitely lit a fire under me regarding the vision I was give several years ago. If you desire to do GREAT things for the world to the glory of God then I recommend this book.
Melissa
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A non fiction book that I actually loved! This book doesn't discourage you with crazy expectations. It actually encourages you to not lose faith in that big prayer that you have and to get into the word and stand on the promises of God. Has changed the way I pray!
Jame Price
Dec 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-books
Impacted how I pray and what I pray for. Maybe an upcoming series?
JP
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never did I expect to start the year with the right book - if such a thing does exist. A lot of things happened recently, one thing led to another, and here I am sitting in awe, trying to process everything I've absorbed from this book. I've always loved Pastor Steven and the messages he brings to life - be it via his weekly sermons or books.

This one is a good reminder that we are the Joshua generation and therefore, to just (barely) survive our day-to-day lives is completely unacceptable. Salva
Matt Leiv
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"If you ever encounter a theology that doesn't directly connect the greatness of God with your potential to do great things on his behalf, it's not biblical theology. File it under heresy... And further still: if the size of your vision for your life isn't intimidating to you, there's a good chance it's insulting to God."

A much needed publication in the Christian community about doing more and seeking more, through faith. Too many times I've heard someone say along the lines of "believe and have
Jessica Lynn
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it
In Sun Stand Still, Pastor Furtick uses the story of Joshua and the battle against the Amorites (Joshua 10:1-15) to illustrate and define the idea of "audacious faith," or the boldness to dare to ask God for the impossible. In the story, Joshua prays that God will keep the sun from setting over the battlefield so that the Israelite army can defeat the Amorite army once and for all. In response to Joshua's prayer, God makes the sun stand still in the sky.

Many would argue that making the sun stand
Amisha
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By traditional definitions, I am not a Christian. But that did not stop this book from resonating. I sat in a hotel room in San Fran, this book recommended to me by a close friend almost diagnostically, cracked to page 1. I paused, googled “Elevation Church” to gain some more insight and then got pulled into a 45 min sermon on their first page which made this non-Christian cry. If you are Christian or really religious in any capacity to any God, no matter which name you may refer to your divine ...more
John Petrocelli
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review: A challenging, profound and inspiring description/instruction of how to gain a deeper relationship with God. Furtick is in your face, honest, and takes no prisoners; favorite quotes say it all.

Favorite Quote: "If the size of your vision for your life isn't intimidating to you, there's a good chance it's insulting to God." (p. 7); “You will never know what it is like to experience God’s power in this way until you have the audacity to believe and pray and act in the confidence that our G
Mindi
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would consider the most important point of the book to be on page 193.

"The tiniest seed of faith, applied and exerted consistently over the course of time, can move the biggest mountain in your life. Having the faith to start small in the face of the most overwhelming odds is about as audacious as it gets."

Furtick was not referring to having faith for himself, but for other people.

It was worth the time it took me to read it.

I appreciated his discussion of God's sovereignty and how it inter
Elizabeth
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had a few moments throughout the book where I wanted to put it down and be frustrated. But God is working in me and He helped me to continue on until the end. It's a wonderful and powerful message that anyone can apply to their lives and their personal story. I highly recommend for anyone and everyone!
Frank Hansel
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Faith builder

I totally enjoyed the book. It’s a new look at an old promise fulfilled by God to His faithful servant, Joshua. We can have those same “sun stand still” moments in our lives if our faith is alive and active. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to expand their faith &prayer life to be more “in tune” to God’s promises and seeing them fulfilled.
David Stearman
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Faith lives

The message in this book is audacious and life-changing. If you want your life to be different...better. If you want to make your world better; and if you want to walk in the miraculous, then this book’s for you.
Jennifer Hale
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. The way Steven challenges the believer in faith and prayer, all backed by sound Biblical fact- it spoke to me. What a read. It'll fire up your faith, to be sure. I definitely needed a book like this and I'm grateful for the lessons and reminders found in it!
  • It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It
  • The Grace of God
  • The Power of a Whisper: Hearing God, Having the Guts to Respond
  • Unleash!: Breaking Free from Normalcy
  • Awakening: A New Approach to Faith, Fasting, and Spiritual Freedom
  • Move: What 1,000 Churches Reveal about Spiritual Growth
  • Wild Goose Chase: Reclaim the Adventure of Pursuing God
  • Fasting: Opening the Door to a Deeper, More Intimate, More Powerful Relationship With God
  • Church Unique: How Missional Leaders Cast Vision, Capture Culture, and Create Movement
Steven Furtick is the founder and lead pastor of Elevation Church in Charlotte, North Carolina, named by Outreach magazine as one of the top 10 fastest growing churches in the nation. In four years, Elevation has grown to more than 6,000 people in regular attendance in three locations. Steven holds a degree in communication from North Greenville University, and a Master of Divinity degree from Sou ...more
“Audacious faith is not passive. Neither is audacious prayer. Every aspiration you have in prayer needs an accompanying action. Otherwise you're not really praying. You're just pontificating.

You do the natural. Trust God for the super.”
17 likes
“God gives the exact experiences he wants them to have in order to shape the specific destiny he designed for them.” 16 likes