Start by marking “Sun Stand Still: What Happens When You Dare to Ask God for the Impossible” as Want to Read:
Sun Stand Still: What Happens When You Dare to Ask God for the Impossible

Sun Stand Still: What Happens When You Dare to Ask God for the Impossible

Rare book
Published September 21st 2010 by Multnomah (first published September 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sun Stand Still, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sun Stand Still

Start your review of Sun Stand Still: What Happens When You Dare to Ask God for the Impossible
Mark
Sep 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Before I start this review, I need to tell you that I was a big fan of Steven Furtick before he put a single word down on paper. I first heard him speak last September on The Nines, an online conference put on by Leadership Network...

Now, I realize that he may or may not be your cup of tea - he's definitely got a "grew up in the South & around church" vibe - but that video cut through a morass of self-pity & frustration in my ministry & life. He blends "inside baseball" humor (well, "inside mini
J.S. Park
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Pastor Steven Furtick is regularly criticized for his lax use of Scripture, his shaky theology, and his over-eager charm, but there is no denying he is gifted and talented. While I'm somewhat in the Reformed camp who has claimed doctrinal war against guys like Furtick, I personally love his ministry. I appreciate what he does. I download podcasts from Mark Driscoll, Matt Chandler, Timothy Keller, James MacDonald, and anyone else you'd call conservative, but my odd blip on the iPod is Steven Furt ...more
Mike
Oct 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Every once in a while you read a book that intersects with where you are in life in such a way that it's almost conversational. This has been that book for me. It has encouraged me on my journey.
Cori
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith, devotionals
I have so much admiration for Steven Furtick and his audacious faith. God is doing huge things through him.

This book didn't necessarily have anything new or an earth-shattering revelation. But I struggle to be faithful in my prayer life. So for me, I need maintenance books like this that are full of passion and challenge to wake up my prayer life again.

Awesome book if anyone is looking to jolt awake their prayers again.

I'd rate this book a G.
Shannon (leaninglights)
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing book by Pastor Furtick. I really liked how this message was about daring to be bold in Christ and step forward in faith. I think a lot of times, we as Christians “play it safe” and we stick to our routine and our comfort zone and are good people who love God. But while these things are good, God calls us to much more. We can all live boldly in our everyday life and we have to be willing to step out in faith for God to do big things through us. I highly recommend this book if you ...more
George
Idk why I read this
Joel Osteen wannabe, with a lot of God sprinkled in.
Steven Gagne
Dec 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Audacious faith" - that is the key phrase in Steven Furtick's Sun Stand Still: What Happens When You Dare to Ask God for the Impossible . The subtitle says it all - What Happens When You Dare to Ask God for the Impossible. The story of Joshua asking God to cause the sun to stand still in the sky, that the Lord's words may come to pass, is that backdrop to this challenging, inspiring book. In the same way that Joshua possessed an audacious faith to ask God for what seemed impossible, we are t ...more
Mylon Pruett
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
"Jesus didn’t die on a part-time cross. He doesn’t love us with a part-time love. He doesn’t cover us with a part-time pardon for sins. There’s no such thing as a part-time Christian, and there’s no such thing as part-time ministry."

"Complete confidence in the competency of Christ matched with sincere humility. This is the only formula for authentic audacious faith."

Sun Stand Still is about intense radical faith. Based Joshua's prayer that resulted in God keeping the sun in the sky for an extra
Akash Ahuja
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very easy-to-read book, but to its merit, not its fault. I think that this book is great for those who feel like they are in a spiritual or prayer rut, and are looking for how to grow in their faith. This book may not have been terribly deep on a theological sense, but it inspires and encourages readers to live their faith. Rather than keeping it all in ideological headspace, Furtick gets practical and gives rubber-meets-the-road advice for your life.
Thomas
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
When I saw Steven Furtick at the Willow Creek Association Global Leadership Summit this year, I was drawn in by his personality. You could tell that he believed he could change the world. This book helps one to dig deeper into his mindset.

I feel genuinely encouraged in my walk.
Gini
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. First book I've read by Furtick and I love how down to earth his writing style is- very easy to read. And the thoughts and approaches to faith and prayer are so positive and purposeful- I will work to use these along with his 12 audacious faith confessions on page 114 daily.
Dave Courtney
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first time I had heard of Steven Furtick was when I picked up this book. Evidently he is a pastor of a very large and successful Church and movement in the southern states. Admittedly, even in first picking up this book and perusing the first few chapters it is hard to get a complete picture of the man and his methodology. In fact, it wouldn't be surprising to find many who might be prone to reading a certain degree of cynicism in to what at first glance gives the appearance of a superficial ...more
Amulya N Grace
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the perfect rubber meets the road book for me.God has a way of leading you in different ways :) I agree that Pastor Furtick may not be the best writer out there, but he has a flair of writing that the message can bypass your mind and go straight to your heart.Pastor Furtick gives a detailed exposition of how we can ask God for the impossible and pray our Sun stand still prayers. (that's what the author titled bold prayers).The term 'audacious faith' is used all across the book.Sometimes, ...more
John Gardner
On the front end, I feel it's only fair to admit that when I first received this book, I was not a big fan of Steven Furtick. In my admittedly limited experience with the young megachurch pastor, I had found him to be brash, over-the-top, and borderline arrogant... not exactly qualities I look for in a preacher. Of course, I have generally found that it hasn't been an issue with what he has said so much as how he has said it ( this video is a good example).

Since my problems with Furtick have
David
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prayer
Very inspiring and challenging.
Connie
Dec 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"God is great. God is good." A simple prayer. A child's prayer. But this is the building block to what author Steven Furtick calls "audacious faith" in his book *Sun Stand Still.*
The premise of his book comes from the Old Testament story of Joshua and the taking of Jericho. Joshua had faith-an "audacious faith"- and he prayed an impossible prayer that only God could answer. That is the type of prayer life we are to have as Christians.
The author uses many stories and examples in a conversation st
Nov 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Such an inspiring and motivating book, written in a way that is relatable, easy to read and Biblically-founded. I was also pleased that Furtick had a vision for this novel, used Joshua as the main biblical parallel and did not stay from this vision or Joshua's audacious faith example.

Parts of this book led me to tears in recognizing God's goodness and at other times because of how much I know I need to change in my own life.

I've been following Christ for more than several years now and found thi
Bonne Lynn
Jan 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: no-no-no
Read this, if only to gain exposure from a mega church but don't read this to learn. There were a few things I found uncomfortable with this pastor and his church that lean toward the unhealthy.

A church is not successful based on its numbers.
A healthy church has the majority, if not all serving. His church is 12,000 and only a few thousand serve.
He mentioned that he doesn't even know the roles in his church. The pastor needs to know each person, because in the end he is accountable for his flock
Rich Thornton
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this book the author teaches the scriptures as he not only tells of Joshua asking God to make the sun stand still but challenges us to do the same and pray our own audacious prayers. He tells of prayers he has prayed and what God did, and what God hasn't done directly yet.

Weaving scripture, stories, and principles, Steven Furtick challenges Christians to move beyond "safe" prayers and pray boldly. He doesn't promise God will answer in the way we expect but proclaims that God never breaks a p
Gail
Feb 01, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
Ugh....I started this book after hearing an associate pastor at my church preach an uplifting message from it and while I HAD been enjoying it, I felt pretty slimey about the pastor who wrote it after I read [quite a bit more] about him (here's a bizarre starting point: http://www.crosswalk.com/blogs/christ...) -- a great reminder to do my homework when it comes to finding authors whose messages I want to follow as they relate to my faith. ...more
Andrea
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing and challenging. This book is a poke on our backs so we start paying attention to the life we're living. Is it a faith driven life, or a fear driven life?
It´s encouraging to read that it is possible to live a life of audacious faith, and this way have the best life God has planned for us.
Linda Walters
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who dares to believe the Bible is true.
Recommended to Linda by: found at Library
Shelves: related-books
Loved the book; its going into my personal library. Written in a way to wake you back up to the radical truths of the Bible. Re-charging, re-firing, reminding the believer that God's power, and unusual ways have NOT passed away; dare to ask and believe. To pray daring, outrageous, world changing prayers.

Melissa
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A non fiction book that I actually loved! This book doesn't discourage you with crazy expectations. It actually encourages you to not lose faith in that big prayer that you have and to get into the word and stand on the promises of God. Has changed the way I pray!
Courage Molina
Jun 21, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked it because of the message. He seems to be a speaker who writes, but his passion and message are powerful. It definitely lit a fire under me regarding the vision I was give several years ago. If you desire to do GREAT things for the world to the glory of God then I recommend this book.
Jame Price
Dec 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-books
Impacted how I pray and what I pray for. Maybe an upcoming series?
Emily Gonzalez Aguilar
"Those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world usually do." - Steve Jobs.
STEVEN FURTICK IS IT! I cannot believe and process just how much God has done through Pastor Furtick, and I cannot wait to see what else He has in store for us through his ministry.
I am convinced that anybody who rated this book poorly just simply did not get the point of the book. This is an important, perhaps even crucial, read for any christian. Furtick is a perfectionist, and you can see this in the wa
JP
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never did I expect to start the year with the right book - if such a thing does exist. A lot of things happened recently, one thing led to another, and here I am sitting in awe, trying to process everything I've absorbed from this book. I've always loved Pastor Steven and the messages he brings to life - be it via his weekly sermons or books.

This one is a good reminder that we are the Joshua generation and therefore, to just (barely) survive our day-to-day lives is completely unacceptable. Salva
Matt Leiv
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"If you ever encounter a theology that doesn't directly connect the greatness of God with your potential to do great things on his behalf, it's not biblical theology. File it under heresy... And further still: if the size of your vision for your life isn't intimidating to you, there's a good chance it's insulting to God."

A much needed publication in the Christian community about doing more and seeking more, through faith. Too many times I've heard someone say along the lines of "believe and have
Jessica Lynn
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it
In Sun Stand Still, Pastor Furtick uses the story of Joshua and the battle against the Amorites (Joshua 10:1-15) to illustrate and define the idea of "audacious faith," or the boldness to dare to ask God for the impossible. In the story, Joshua prays that God will keep the sun from setting over the battlefield so that the Israelite army can defeat the Amorite army once and for all. In response to Joshua's prayer, God makes the sun stand still in the sky.

Many would argue that making the sun stand
Amisha
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By traditional definitions, I am not a Christian. But that did not stop this book from resonating. I sat in a hotel room in San Fran, this book recommended to me by a close friend almost diagnostically, cracked to page 1. I paused, googled “Elevation Church” to gain some more insight and then got pulled into a 45 min sermon on their first page which made this non-Christian cry. If you are Christian or really religious in any capacity to any God, no matter which name you may refer to your divine ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day: How to Survive and Thrive When Opportunity Roars
  • The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
  • Soul Detox: Clean Living in a Contaminated World
  • Life Is _____.: God's Illogical Love Will Change Your Existence
  • We Are Church
  • How's Your Soul?: Why Everything that Matters Starts with the Inside You
  • Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
  • Crushing: It's Not the End!
  • Real Marriage: The Truth About Sex, Friendship, and Life Together
  • Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit
  • Goliath Must Fall: Winning the Battle Against Your Giants
  • There Is More: When the World Says You Can't, God Says You Can
Steven Furtick is the founder and lead pastor of Elevation Church in Charlotte, North Carolina, named by Outreach magazine as one of the top 10 fastest growing churches in the nation. In four years, Elevation has grown to more than 6,000 people in regular attendance in three locations. Steven holds a degree in communication from North Greenville University, and a Master of Divinity degree from Sou ...more

News & Interviews

“Audacious faith is not passive. Neither is audacious prayer. Every aspiration you have in prayer needs an accompanying action. Otherwise you're not really praying. You're just pontificating.

You do the natural. Trust God for the super.”
18 likes
“God gives the exact experiences he wants them to have in order to shape the specific destiny he designed for them.” 16 likes