Start by marking “Collected Stories” as Want to Read:
Collected Stories

Collected Stories

As a young writer living in Lahore during the time of the British Raj, Rudyard Kipling (1865–1936) was possessed by an enormous subject—India—and his genius for rendering its beauty and strangeness was even then so fully formed that we have to look to the likes of Shakespeare and Dickens to find writers equally precocious. What is even more astonishing, and what this selec ...more
Published October 18th 1994 by Everyman's Library

To ask other readers questions about Collected Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Collected Stories

Connie (Ava Catherine)
Rudyard Kipling, who lived in India during the time of the British Raj (1865-1936), was a master storyteller with an undisputed genius for creating the beauty and lure of his exotic world on paper in such an enchanting and yet believable form that we as readers must refer to Shakespeare and Dickens to find writers as precocious.

As his career developed, Kipling's talent grew, and he refined his style and continued to become a better writer. Reading these forty stories, which span his entire caree
Martin
The 40 stories collected here cover a wide range of styles: tragedy, comedy, supernatural, and science-fiction. Some stories were written in late 19th century, others in early 20th century, and they're not necessarily collected in the order in which they were written. Most of the stories I enjoyed, though there were a few that I couldn't get into and couldn't wait to finish (just to get to the next one).

Of course some stories stood out more than others, my favourites being:

A Bank Fraud
The Drum
Alex Milledge
Dec 12, 2014 Alex Milledge rated it liked it
I am a fan of Rudyard Kipling, but there some short stories that are more interesting than others. For instance "the man who would be king" and "the house surgeon".

I like his writing style and the era of his writing fascinates me. I bought his collected works on my book and will be reading his other novels later.

Overall, some stories were good while others failed to fascinate me.
Gleb Bazilevsky
Jun 09, 2015 Gleb Bazilevsky rated it really liked it
This book is a chronological collection of Kipling's short stories, not including the Just So Stories. This arrangement by itself is enough to show Kipling's evolution and experimentation as a fervent and prolific writer. Leaving aside his politics and the different refraction of meaning - inevitable when reading an author not only from a different century but also a different cultural and moral perspective - Kipling's range and talent have few equals. Interesting characters and compelling narra ...more
Hobbes
Oct 21, 2010 Hobbes rated it really liked it
A wonderful collection of stories, this reminds us why Kipling was revered as an author. Certainly his most famous work, The Man Who Would Be King, is a startlingly fantastic story and finds a place in this collection. However my particular fondness comes more from Kipling's muted stories about small people acting in small settings.

Wireless is wonderful little gem that can't help but transport the reader to it's both mystical and completely pedestrian environment. Stories from the point of view
globulon
I was pretty disappointed with this one.

First off, I have never before seen a book called "Collected" when it wasn't all of that persons work of that type. If it's a selection of stories it should be called "Selected".

Secondly, I have read a number of Kipling stories and I know that there are a lot of them that I like. While there were some that I was happy to see in this collection, I felt like a lot of the stories were sort of mediocre.
Annalise
"...for when young lips ace drunk deep of the bitter waters of Hat, Suspicion, and Despair, all the Love in the world will not wholly take away that knowledge; though it may turn darkened eyes for a while to the light, and teach Faith where no Faith was."
(concluding note from: Baa, Baa, Black Sheep)
A disturbing anecdote reflecting Kipling's own dark childhood - left me quite perplexed.
Shelby
May 09, 2011 Shelby rated it really liked it
Somehow I had never read anything by Kipling before and did so more for academic purposes than for pleasure. Accordingly, I was pleasantly surprised by these stories. I would recommend this collection and look forward to reading Kim and other works.
Tejas Janet
Jul 28, 2014 Tejas Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this so many years ago in childhood. Loved it. Returned to it many times.
Cws
JAR5-Kip
Joel Chapman
Aug 14, 2007 Joel Chapman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm biased due to my being enamoured of anything Indian, but even so, this collection has some really choice pieces, literarily speaking.
Mary
Dec 10, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
Strange tales with weird, wonderful, and engaging characters.
Britt
Aug 21, 2010 Britt rated it liked it
Shelves: classics, fiction, shorts
This is only for the story "The Janeites".
Peter Hall
Aug 03, 2015 Peter Hall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patch, if I'm honest. Several examples of his best sork , but the quality drps off gowards thr end. However, as kipling becomes harder to find in paper-well worth a look.
Eve
Eve rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2009
Mads W.-S.
Mads W.-S. rated it really liked it
May 02, 2014
Vlad K.
Vlad K. rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2010
Warwick
Warwick rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2013
Sanyukta Suryavanshi
Sanyukta Suryavanshi rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2012
René Beaulieu
René Beaulieu rated it liked it
May 07, 2010
Matthew
Matthew rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Juliette
Juliette rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2013
Vanessa E. Lord
Vanessa E. Lord rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Zeeshan Khan
Zeeshan Khan rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2008
Brian Deveney
Brian Deveney rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2017
John Murphy
John Murphy rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2012
Sergei
Sergei rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Alison
Alison rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2008
Amrita
Amrita rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2017
  • Nathaniel Hawthorne's Tales
  • The Collected Stories
  • Revolting Rhymes & Dirty Beasts
  • The Girl Who Read Hemingway
  • Waugh Abroad: Collected Travel Writing (Contemporary Classics)
  • Collected Stories
  • The Sonnets and Narrative Poems
  • Vida De Don Quijote Y Sancho/ the Life of Don Quijote and Sancho (Letras Hispanicas / Hispanic Writings)
  • Athalie
  • The Bitchy Waiter: Life on the Other Side of the Menu
  • Anthem for Doomed Youth
  • Selected Short Stories
  • Joan of Arc: In Her Own Words
Joseph Rudyard Kipling was a journalist, short-story writer, poet, and novelist.

Kipling's works of fiction include The Jungle Book (1894), Kim (1901), and many short stories, including The Man Who Would Be King (1888). His poems include Mandalay (1890), Gunga Din (1890), The Gods of the Copybook Headings (1919), The White Man's Burden (1899), and If— (1910). He is regarded as a major innovator in
More about Rudyard Kipling...

“She walked on and on till she melted out of the picture - like - like a shadow jumping over a candle ...” 1 likes