Start by marking “Collected Stories” as Want to Read:
Collected Stories

Collected Stories

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  11 reviews
As a young writer living in Lahore during the time of the British Raj, Rudyard Kipling (1865–1936) was possessed by an enormous subject—India—and his genius for rendering its beauty and strangeness was even then so fully formed that we have to look to the likes of Shakespeare and Dickens to find writers equally precocious. What is even more astonishing, and what this selec ...more
Published October 18th 1994 by Everyman's Library

To ask other readers questions about Collected Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Collected Stories

Connie
Rudyard Kipling, who lived in India during the time of the British Raj (1865-1936), was a master storyteller with an undisputed genius for creating the beauty and lure of his exotic world on paper in such an enchanting and yet believable form that we as readers must refer to Shakespeare and Dickens to find writers as precocious.

As his career developed, Kipling's talent grew, and he refined his style and continued to become a better writer. Reading these forty stories, which span his entire caree
Martin
The 40 stories collected here cover a wide range of styles: tragedy, comedy, supernatural, and science-fiction. Some stories were written in late 19th century, others in early 20th century, and they're not necessarily collected in the order in which they were written. Most of the stories I enjoyed, though there were a few that I couldn't get into and couldn't wait to finish (just to get to the next one).

Of course some stories stood out more than others, my favourites being:

A Bank Fraud
The Drum
Alex Milledge
I am a fan of Rudyard Kipling, but there some short stories that are more interesting than others. For instance "the man who would be king" and "the house surgeon".

I like his writing style and the era of his writing fascinates me. I bought his collected works on my book and will be reading his other novels later.

Overall, some stories were good while others failed to fascinate me.
Hobbes
A wonderful collection of stories, this reminds us why Kipling was revered as an author. Certainly his most famous work, The Man Who Would Be King, is a startlingly fantastic story and finds a place in this collection. However my particular fondness comes more from Kipling's muted stories about small people acting in small settings.

Wireless is wonderful little gem that can't help but transport the reader to it's both mystical and completely pedestrian environment. Stories from the point of view
Tejas Janet
Read this so many years ago in childhood. Loved it. Returned to it many times.
globulon
I was pretty disappointed with this one.

First off, I have never before seen a book called "Collected" when it wasn't all of that persons work of that type. If it's a selection of stories it should be called "Selected".

Secondly, I have read a number of Kipling stories and I know that there are a lot of them that I like. While there were some that I was happy to see in this collection, I felt like a lot of the stories were sort of mediocre.
Annalise
"...for when young lips ace drunk deep of the bitter waters of Hat, Suspicion, and Despair, all the Love in the world will not wholly take away that knowledge; though it may turn darkened eyes for a while to the light, and teach Faith where no Faith was."
(concluding note from: Baa, Baa, Black Sheep)
A disturbing anecdote reflecting Kipling's own dark childhood - left me quite perplexed.
Shelby
Somehow I had never read anything by Kipling before and did so more for academic purposes than for pleasure. Accordingly, I was pleasantly surprised by these stories. I would recommend this collection and look forward to reading Kim and other works.
Joel Chapman
I'm biased due to my being enamoured of anything Indian, but even so, this collection has some really choice pieces, literarily speaking.
Mary
Strange tales with weird, wonderful, and engaging characters.
Britt
This is only for the story "The Janeites".
Cws
JAR5-Kip
Raymond England
Raymond England marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Gleb Bazilevsky
Gleb Bazilevsky is currently reading it
Jun 09, 2015
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Marin Academy Library
Marin Academy Library marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Blossom
Blossom marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
DZ
DZ marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Michael Giaccio
Michael Giaccio marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Tea
Tea added it
Apr 11, 2015
Telans
Telans marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Rambler
Rambler marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Akrabar
Akrabar marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Zuzana
Zuzana marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Works of Alexander Pope
  • Nathaniel Hawthorne's Tales
  • The Collected Stories
  • Collected Stories (Everyman's Library)
  • A Christmas Carol and Other Stories
  • Athalie
  • A Rage to Live: A Biography of Richard and Isabel Burton
  • 101 Stories of the Great Ballets: The Scene-by-Scene Stories of the Most Popular Ballets, Old and New
  • Storm
  • My Mother's House & Sido
  • Old Mortality
  • Queen Anne: The Politics of Passion
  • The Complete Stories of Evelyn Waugh
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1907 "in consideration of the power of observation, originality of imagination, virility of ideas and remarkable talent for narration which characterize the creations of this world-famous author."

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudyard_...
More about Rudyard Kipling...
The Jungle Books The Jungle Book Just So Stories Kim Captains Courageous

“She walked on and on till she melted out of the picture - like - like a shadow jumping over a candle ...” 0 likes